• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

R-Pro firms up nicely as it gets colder out. I picked up a pair of JK Aviars for my winter putting duties this year, solely because trying to find Soft Lunas is expensive.

Good to know! I've mostly been using SSS wizards the last couple winters but lately Ive been liking the Alpaca so I'll try to find some in R or whatever infinite calls it

(I got a 350.00 Amazon gift card, from work, for retiring....let's go)

Big congrats!

I picked up one of those puffy vest jackets from Costco earlier this season for about $13. (32 degrees brand). I also play almost entirely wooded courses. It's not as nice as my Columbia vest, but for $13 I don't mind as much if it gets roughed up a bit during my winter rounds.

Out of stock for this season, but be looking out next year.

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men%e2%80%99s-vest.product.100827345.html

Last edited:
I play a 12 week glow league from December to March here in colorado annually. My favorites are my merino wool base layer, good socks and big mittens that are easy to take on and off (fits hot hands if you like, single digits I will use 'em).
I am good in single digit temps (unless windy) in my base layer (stuffs seriously amazing) waffles, long sleeve tee, thin insulated vest and a flannel. That's 4 layers on the arms but no puffy coat with restrictive shoulders. I will ditch a layer if it's not too far below freezing and don't feel bundled any more than I do in a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

Other thing is, especially with snow on the ground, is carry a minimal bag and make sure expectations and game plan match.

Regarding the vest talk I wear a fleece one (warmth) or a thin insulated not puffy one(if there's a breeze I am trying to cut) I usually wear a flannel or thin performance sleeved pullover on top, no worries of snags and such, and they seem to insulate better cause any loose fit in the sleeves don't catch a breeze.

I'm going to second what dirtykid said about mittens. I used to struggle keeping my hands warm regardless of what type of fingered glove I was wearing. Once I discovered mittens I no longer deal with cold hands and fingers. Mine aren't thick or bulky and easily slip off my throwing hand to throw.

A fleece vest. (I have looked at REI. These are hard to find. The cute little puffy vests seem to be all the rage. Disc golf in Michigan is played in the woods. I would tear these pretty vests up.)

I made the mistake of buying one of those puffy vests one year. It got torn all to hell the first winter season wearing it. I was so mad that I refused to trash it so I patched up the holes with duct tape as best as I could and I would leave a trail of feathers leaking out from it on the course.

I learned my lesson, now it's 20 dollar hoddies from Walmart and my 12 year old baggy rain coat over top on extra cold days.

All those purchases and no long underwear tights? Must have!!!! Especially since you're a shorts in winter guy, a nice pair of shorts over your long underwear is the move.

I am thinking about grabbing a vest this year myself. Makes sense for throwing, less bulk on the arm, keeps core warm.

Can sometimes find good deals on REI's garage site: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/c/mens-vests?ir=category%3Amens-clothing&r=category%3Amens-clothing%7Cmens-vests

Pro tip - Buy your vest one size too big (or better yet, buy two, one normal size and one thats a size too big). On super cold days, you can wear the big one comfortably over a hoodie/sweater.

. That's 4 layers on the arms but no puffy coat with restrictive shoulders. I will ditch a layer if it's not too far below freezing and don't feel bundled any more than I do in a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

I'm a jacket guy when it gets super cold. I find that's better than piling on tons of layers. Through some trial and error I have found that the keys are to

1. Buy a coat that's a size too big so it's roomy.

2. That unzips from the bottom up so you can have it unzipped around your waist. This is crucial, will provide extra flexibility around your waist. Google this if it sounds confusing/don't understand what I mean.

3. Most importantly, practice in the jacket/wear it out a lot at first and break it in. Jackets break in like shoes do. My winter coat is basically a sweater at this point. It's aging like fine wine and gets more comfortable each season.

Winter in DFW...long pants and long sleeve shirt.

:)

PS: my cat thinks it time to start sleeping on the laptop.

Last edited:
Outer layers can definitely be personal preference.

What works best for me is a light weight fleece jacket and a really lightweight, single layer windbreaker. Both are comfortable and give me full range of motion without being bulky. Worn together it keeps me plenty warm and having the windbreaker on the outside keeps me dry and cuts the wind. Also, as conditions change, I can wear one or the other or both as needed.

Yesterday I started a round and it was 32 degrees. I was just wearing the fleece. As the temperature came up and I was warmed up from playing the fleece became a little warm for my liking so I took it off and put on the windbreaker instead. Near the end of the round it was nearing 50 so the windbreaker came off and I finished in my tee shirt.

So this Alabamian had to do some snow bagging up in North Michigan yesterday.
I am so grateful to have recently learned about the Ribbon tip. It worked flawlessly.

So this Alabamian had to do some snow bagging up in North Michigan yesterday.
I am so grateful to have recently learned about the Ribbon tip. It worked flawlessly.

Probably going to have to get my wife onboard with this.

When I'm playing in snow I pretty much exclusively throw mids and putters for everything because they tend to land flat and not knife into the snow. My wife pretty much throws drivers off the tee exclusively and those things always like to hide even in just a couple of inches of snow.

I'm a jacket guy when it gets super cold. I find that's better than piling on tons of layers. Through some trial and error I have found that the keys are to

1. Buy a coat that's a size too big so it's roomy.

2. That unzips from the bottom up so you can have it unzipped around your waist. This is crucial, will provide extra flexibility around your waist. Google this if it sounds confusing/don't understand what I mean.

3. Most importantly, practice in the jacket/wear it out a lot at first and break it in. Jackets break in like shoes do. My winter coat is basically a sweater at this point. It's aging like fine wine and gets more comfortable each season.

I am a tall skinny guy and have not found a winter jacket with long enough sleeves, not a tight seam between the shoulders (tore the one jacket I kinda liked at the sleeve seam) that doesn't fit baggy on the torso. Trying to pull a disc across the chest with any extra baggy in the sleeve or torso is awful.

My two first layers are basically stretchy skin tight and move independently from the performance long sleeve tee. I feel looser in that combo than a long sleeve and pull over hoodie. Plenty of guys in our league are happy in a good jacket, just haven't found one.

I did winter golf for years in the mid-Atlantic and in New England. What worked for me was a hoodie with the pockets in front (I'd have a T-shirt on top of the hoodie), and in the pockets I'd have either handwarmers if it was really cold or gloves that I could slip on or off between throws. Ribbons are a must if you're going to be playing in more than 3-4" on the ground.

Don't bag white, even if you love it or it's a go to putter in circle one.

It's nice to no longer have to worry about that stuff when you live as far south as I do, it doesn't get below 60 often here.

I am a tall skinny guy and have not found a winter jacket with long enough sleeves, not a tight seam between the shoulders (tore the one jacket I kinda liked at the sleeve seam) that doesn't fit baggy on the torso. Trying to pull a disc across the chest with any extra baggy in the sleeve or torso is awful.

My two first layers are basically stretchy skin tight and move independently from the performance long sleeve tee. I feel looser in that combo than a long sleeve and pull over hoodie. Plenty of guys in our league are happy in a good jacket, just haven't found one.

Eddie Bauer runs talls in most of their outerwear. And is often on sale!

Chuckling at you people in warmer climates. I always find it amusing when I visit places like Houston or Phoenix in the "wintertime" and you guys are wearing jackets, long pants, beanies, etc and I'm running around in shorts and a tee shirt enjoying the warm weather.

As someone who was born in Wisconsin and moved/grew up in the south Texas area, I can vouch that I'd be laughing at all the poor cold Texans during "winter" time.. but to be fair, in 2017 when I briefly moved back to the south, it did get pretty cold for like a week.

I actually had to bust out the semi-heavy jacket which was a surprise and also kind of nice considering my winter clothes just caught dust sitting in my dresser drawers.

As someone who was born in Wisconsin and moved/grew up in the south Texas area, I can vouch that I'd be laughing at all the poor cold Texans during "winter" time.. but to be fair, in 2017 when I briefly moved back to the south, it did get pretty cold for like a week.

I actually had to bust out the semi-heavy jacket which was a surprise and also kind of nice considering my winter clothes just caught dust sitting in my dresser drawers.

True. We were in the 30's last weekend. Being the first cold days of the year I was a bit concerned about not enough or too much gear. I'm more sensitive to cold these days. But turns out, when I'm active I still warm up nicely.

When we do get real cold weather (below 20f), it doesn't last long usually. Might skip a weekend, but the next weekend will probably be fair weather and I'll get a round or two in.

Wind is usually our biggest problem in the cold. Makes 30 feel like 10 and is particularly hard on the hands. If I wear a glove on my throwing hand it's a sports glove. Left hand gets the warm glove.

For a mid weight glove, the Army dress gloves are pretty nice. Flexible and not too bulky. Or you can go with a the surgical style under a glove to bock wind.