• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I only have red ones and I am still on my first one. Haven't thrown any of my others

I guess that means I can't help

Speaking of colors, does anyone know how blue Z compares to yellow Z, or any of the colors for that matter?

Desi, your question brings up a point in why I'm asking this now- I figure that everyone has had enough time to throw em, yet still knows what run they are. I have high hopes;)

To answer your question, dark yellow, dark blue, and fly dye are (from what I hear/throw) told to be safer bets when looking for more overstable z'.

With that said, while I do believe color can be a tell, I feel a lot of that comes from word of mouth from old blue ron russells and an old stamp yellow run.

So I had my blue, great lakes open, z comet on lend to a noob friend when he leaves it on the fairway to be taken on the busiest course in the state (read most vadalized). If it wasn't for the wait on hole 2 and the need for the finding group having to yell (read group of 8+) "ryan, is this ur disc, it has ur name, man?!", I may never of gotten it back.

I told him he back to the lightweight loaner comet now! ;)

I learned from the first run that the esp's beauty really unfolded once beat up. Once that bead gets kicked around, the z and esp- or maybe a new esp ;) - will get along together great.

I'm really not as familliar with x comets as I am z, esp, or even tp&glows. What does, or what lines does an x do that an esp doesnt/wont yet, or does differently? Is it just easier to flip? Does it have even more glide???

Sorry for all the questions, I just throw a lot of x plastic (avengers/preds/challengers/xl) but have never been tempted in the comet, so I'm curious if I'm missin out.

so when I lost my old come (169 Z) my game kind of fell apart, as I was using it on almost any hole 200-300, and a few longer downhill ones. I was forced to make due with my buzzz and hornet, and tried a QMS as a more finessey mid, but it didn't work out well and I let some OAT creep back into my form. I got my new comet (174 Z) and I keep turning it over, and not giving it enough height. I'm definatley gonna have to do a comet/wizard only round soon to get this worked out.

I'm really not as familliar with x comets as I am z, esp, or even tp&glows. What does, or what lines does an x do that an esp doesnt/wont yet, or does differently? Is it just easier to flip? Does it have even more glide???

due to the lower grade of plastic, they get high speed turn/extra glide that is different than what you get from the more durable stuff. esps can get that flippy - my first one was one i got used so i missed the break-in period. but the x's are easier to finesse and seems like they stick on the ground a bit better.

my first comet was an x and as long as i throw them there will be one in the bag. get some used ones from the MP and see what they can do for you.

well tested out the z-comet this weekend and just like i thought i love it too. So far i have thrown elite-x,esp and elite-z and love them all.. so yeah comet ftw :thmbup:

also i was curious if anyone has seen any pearly elite-z comets? i have seen Xl's, Buzzz, Stalker, Surge, etc. but just dont remember seeing a pearly z-comet.. if you have one that you would like to part with let me know :thmbup:

I carry to x comets and 1 esp comet. One of favorite discs of all time. They fly pretty and hold any line you put them on

I really would like to find something a little faster then the comet but that has the same flight patteren and #'s but not as fast as a driver. any suggestions?

I have a pink and a yellow z (both 177). They look, feel, and fly exactly the same for me.

I can't comment on colors of ESP since both of mine are orange and they're the older run anyway.

I really would like to find something a little faster then the comet but that has the same flight patteren and #'s but not as fast as a driver. any suggestions?

i know the Pro-D XL has a 0 stability rating ..and so does the Z-Xpress but i have never thrown them.. i know when people disc down most suggest Pro Leos and Elite-X Comets to work on form so maybe one of those...but again i havent thrown one of those either.. my dx teebirds are pretty close but thats once the get worn a lil bit... not sure if by driver you were talking Speed 9+ or if these are faster then what you wanted but either way :)

Last edited:

Fuse is a common choice. I don't know anything about the fuse though besides that it is described as a faster comet

I finally pulled my esp out of my bag and put my Z one back in. I wasnt a fan of the dome on the esp where my z is nice and flat. My esp tend to turn right the majority of its flight and was more touchy tho it was a few grams lighter. Thought I developed a bit of OAT but now Im throwing the Z again, its going dead straight 250-280ft. A lil more distance and I will be back to where I was last year.

Latest posts