• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Threw my Comet for the first time today. it's an X, 165g.

I got it as an affordable replacement for the Fuse. I have to say I love it. SUPER understable, which got me a couple of elusive birdies, one on a high Anhyzer line and one low-ceiling shot that I flipped low and straight.

I am a moderate-low power player. Can anyone tell me how a 165-ish Z comet would fly compared to my X? I'm thinking one more as a slightly more stable compliment.

how far are you throwing them?

Also if you got one of the flatter X Comets, the flat ones are less stable. Domey Comets usually start off surprisingly stable and take considerable beating before turning without some OAT.

Threw my Comet for the first time today. it's an X, 165g.

I got it as an affordable replacement for the Fuse. I have to say I love it. SUPER understable, which got me a couple of elusive birdies, one on a high Anhyzer line and one low-ceiling shot that I flipped low and straight.

I am a moderate-low power player. Can anyone tell me how a 165-ish Z comet would fly compared to my X? I'm thinking one more as a slightly more stable compliment.

i carry an elite-z.. 175+ to compliment my elite-x's which i throw around 172ish.. the z is bout dead straight w/ slight fade but will hold a fade nice if you want it too.. the elite-x i use for more turnover type shots. I throw an ESP sometimes but they were overlapping with my x's. But yeah i would say maybe get one in the 170-172 range.. what weights do you usually throw in mids?

This is my oldest Comet. It flies great, but I hate throwing it because its so pretty!

picture.php

^^^ sweet.. i saw someone posted a couple TP comets the other day on marketplace but i have never felt or thrown one so wasnt sure if i should get em.. anyone have experience with those bad boys?

^^^ sweet.. i saw someone posted a couple TP comets the other day on marketplace but i have never felt or thrown one so wasnt sure if i should get em.. anyone have experience with those bad boys?
Oldest Comet I still throw:
008-1.jpg

My problem with commenting on TP Comets is that I have not thrown a new one in a long, long time. The one I still throw isn't in the bag very often because it really doesn't fly all that differently from a domey X Comet. The grip is better on the TP's and the TP's seem to be a touch faster than the X or ESP, but the stability is the same. A few years ago when I started throwing Comets again I tested X VS TP and the TP was consistently longer, but not so much longer that it really stood out. If you can get a deal on an old TP Comet they are good Comets, but if I couldn't get a deal I'd stick with a regular $10 X Comet.

thanks for the info brotha thats just what i was wanting to know :hfive: . I think ill stick with my elite-x's.. i dont think i would be able to throw the TP with reckless abandon like my cheap ol elite-x's

Last edited:
I like the older Comets better. They can be fragile though, and don't hold up to the cold well.

Early J-Bird stamps are my favorites!

New Tourney Pro had a tendency to break in half when it was cold. Old Tourney Pro is an broken disc waiting to happen in the cold.

I tend to prefer Tourney Pro myself, but I think most of that is emotional attachment to something that is gone. The actual results I see from my throws don't really show much difference between Tourney Pro and X in the Comets. In Cyclones, damn straight that nothing flies like Tourney Pro. In Comets, not so much.

how far are you throwing them?

I can get 200-240 from it. I was surprised how understable it was. I definitely don't have perfect form, but I feel like I don't have a ton of OAT.

I like most of my discs in the 165 range.

If you're throwing them 240' max, and they're flying understable for you it's either beat to death or you are throwing with OAT. A light X-Comet should be able to hold a straight line for up to 300' like the rest. I can flick my beat 165 X Comet 200' without any turn. I know, with more work on my form, I can break 250' with it easily, and it's pretty beat.

Last edited:
Yeah, generally if you are just not getting any snap and only getting 200'-240' a Comet will actually hyzer a bit on you. If it's flipping at that distance, either it's beat like a red-headed step-child or you are putting some OAT on it.

I can get 200-240 from it. I was surprised how understable it was. I definitely don't have perfect form, but I feel like I don't have a ton of OAT.

I like most of my discs in the 165 range.

You definitely got some OAT there, probably a fair amount. Keep chucking that Comet till you can get it out closer to 300ft fairly straight with control.

MY first Ace was with a 2003 Fly dyed 173 X Comet. That disc is hanging on my wall and has since been replaced with 2 Z comets in 171 and 173 and another blue X comet. I love this disc. I think the X ones fly better.

Normally I would accept this and move on...but I don't experience this phenomenon with my other discs, including my Ions and Leopards.

If it was that much OAT, wouldn't those other discs all act super-understable as well?

I'm okay with being wrong, and not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn.

Edit: I should add that I used to have MAJOR OAT problems and have seen what it can do

Last edited:
What condition is your Comet in? If it's in any better condition than beat to absolute death, you are throwing with OAT.

I've never thrown an ION, but I have Leopards that I can really lay into and not have to worry about them turning over, with a decent throw that is. Both are Champs, one is 175, the other is 167. The 175 usually holds a hyzer line, the 167 usually flattens out, sometimes turns slightly, but usually has some fade at the end. I definitely still have some OAT too.

So maybe I'm confused....

On Joe's flight chart, the comet is a 1 on power requirement, and a -1.5 on high speed stability. Doesn't this mean the Comet should have a pretty hefty turn, even for a low-power player?

So maybe I'm confused....

On Joe's flight chart, the comet is a 1 on power requirement, and a -1.5 on high speed stability. Doesn't this mean the Comet should have a pretty hefty turn, even for a low-power player?

Seen MJ push a comet out to 400', nice a smooth, not a huge hyper flip. Thing with the Ion is the gyro technology masks OAT a lot. The Comet is understable, no doubt, but as others have said, it shouldn't be turning nd burning on you, especially at those distances.