• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

That said, what stable/overstable mid are you guys complimenting your comets with?
Roc? Roc3? hornet? wasp? stable buzz? (i feel buzzz often overlaps my comet too much) Something from legacy, prodigy or triology?

I've said it before but my personal preference is to not cycle rocs because I would, on occasion, lose one and wasn't able to directly fill the spot until my other rocs broke in. I actually started with my first mid (a buzzz) and left the buzzz for the roc and had similar thoughts as you regarding wanting my buzzz more. Rocs and buzzz's are different so I'd chalk it up to what disc gave me more confidence.

In any case, I carry a Wasp, Buzzz, Comet, and Meteor. I have an ESP Buzzz that has broken in and covers a lot of the comet or the other way around but I like the comet so much more for touch shots so I dropped the broken in buzzz for a z-buzzz. I am thinking of trying a hornet or some other disc that is more overstable, the wasp is not bad but it doesn't bite as much as I'd like,

I've said it before but my personal preference is to not cycle rocs because I would, on occasion, lose one and wasn't able to directly fill the spot until my other rocs broke in. I actually started with my first mid (a buzzz) and left the buzzz for the roc and had similar thoughts as you regarding wanting my buzzz more. Rocs and buzzz's are different so I'd chalk it up to what disc gave me more confidence.

In any case, I carry a Wasp, Buzzz, Comet, and Meteor. I have an ESP Buzzz that has broken in and covers a lot of the comet or the other way around but I like the comet so much more for touch shots so I dropped the broken in buzzz for a z-buzzz. I am thinking of trying a hornet or some other disc that is more overstable, the wasp is not bad but it doesn't bite as much as I'd like,

The hornet, IME, is much beefier then the Wasp. I swap out the COmet for a Hornet on very windy days. I love the comet and it gets me out of a lot of trouble, but on windy days it is very tough to control. I go to the other end of the spectrum.

Worth noting....not talking about 15mph breeze....serious wind is necessary to change my bag around

I have cycled mids for years (rocs, pro D wasps, X wasps) so the downsides are not new to me.
I was thinking about it some more, and I think it was one of my ESP comets that was being unpredictable for me that made me reconsider my mid game. Maybe its time to go back to the discraft array. The Z comet in my glow bag (very low profile light doesn't seem to effect flight much at all) has been money this season.
The main reason I switched back to cycling stable mids (rocs) is they are easier to power down and tend to be more versatile (multiple angle shots).
Maybe I need a lighter mid to throw when I feel like I need to back off the power some.
The buzzz and comet being sneaky long also overlaps my cyclones too much. Cyclones are money and decently versitile (I throw esps) I have been considering putting XL's back in the bag since I just changed my drivers up and the cyclones are not fitting as well anymore...

I recently picked up a hornet (I know I was an all discraft mid guy for a while, but never tried one) and have given it a few throws. It seems a lot like my Roc3 but better penetration/less glide. Which is possibly a good thing for my more stable wind mid.
I wouldn't say it bites more than a wasp, but I sought out the more Overstable Z wasps. The hornet mostly feels different in hand to me, more like a buzzz or tweener.

And yes, I probably would still be cycling X wasps if they didn't stop making them. I think the hornet in X plastic would be even better.

I also have 4 sparkle aftershocks. I think I will bag one of those, the hornet and a couple comets again for a few rounds. The aftershocks dont crowd the comets like a buzzz does...

Based on on the break down below was there any difference in the colors of each run. I am trying to figure out which run I had and which run I now need. The one I had was yellow

1st runs - have tooling - chalky/tacky plastic - high shoulder - domey - kinda stiff
2nd runs - flatter- slicker/softer blend of esp - low shoulder- have tooling - most were not domey
3rd runs - domey and flat - soft blend esp - no tooling - high shoulder

I know yellow was in the third runs and was more ZSP than ESP. I want to say there were yellows in all three runs though.

Did it have tooling on the bottom?
-No? - It was a 3rd Run
-Yes? - was it slick or chalky?
----Slick? - It was a 2nd Run
----Chalky? - It was a 1st Run

Last edited:
I also have 4 sparkle aftershocks. I think I will bag one of those, the hornet and a couple comets again for a few rounds. The aftershocks dont crowd the comets like a buzzz does...

That's kind of what I'm experiencing... I love my Wasp but may need something more os and drop the buzz. That's so hard though because I love my buzz

I absolutely love the buzzz as well, but when I have comets in my bag I seem to seek out the most stable buzzz to go with it. The aftershock is a nice step up from the buzzz without going to wasp stability. The hornet seems like a good compliment to the aftershock.
I played with no drivers this morning. Hornet>aftershock>Z comet>X Comet and was pretty happy with how they played together. The only time I had to think which disc to throw was whether I wanted to throw a sweeping hyzer with the aftershock or a spike or straight to heavy fade with the Hornet.

How old is this comet? The plastic feels awesome an it's an older stamp than the first X Comet I bought last year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 50
Curious if puddle top Comets are normal or unusual. Just got my first Comet so I'm not familiar with them yet. It's a Z fly dye. How does a puddle affect a disc's flight?

Oh yeah definitely a Roc or a Ghost.... The Comet was supposed to compete with the Ontario Roc iirc. A Rancho would be the ideal OS counterpart imo.

How old is this comet? The plastic feels awesome an it's an older stamp than the first X Comet I bought last year.

I love these older comet stamps. It's really a shame Discraft changed up the stamp on the X comet. If they would have made more of the Big Z comets with the retro stamp, you can be sure I would have bought a stack of those. I think all comets would be better off with this or the other older stamp on them.

That said, what stable/overstable mid are you guys complimenting your comets with?
Roc? Roc3? hornet? wasp? stable buzz? (i feel buzzz often overlaps my comet too much) Something from legacy, prodigy or triology?

Good old DX/KC Rocs. I try to not overthink it too much. KC Roc/DX Roc/Z Comet/X Comet has worked well for me for a long time.

I pair mine with a stable buzz and star roc. breakdown of use % is probably 70/25/5 comet/buzz/roc.

^^^hahahaha

Comets and wasps are perfect pairs. You can get super heavy on each to really change the stability, plus options in a variety if plastic allows for a wide range of shots to be covered.

Latest posts