• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I just had surgery on the wrong wrist; it won't be clear for takeoff until June. :| I'm supposed to go walk around and mock my usual crew while they throw just to get me out of the house.

What!!! It's not even your good wrist?! And you still can't play?

What!!! It's not even your good wrist?! And you still can't play?
Lol. Put down the drink, dude. I played today, the left wrist is wrapped up. I'm playing until the right wrist is cut. All's I'm saying is the left wrist probably won't be disc golf ready by the time the right wrist gets cut. It's probably going to take 6 weeks for it to be healed and there is only three weeks between surgeries.

my season is shot anyway.

Bah! Suck it up and play wrong handed! Better to get out there and suck than to sit at home!!

I broke my right (dominant) collarbone a couple of years ago. Left handed play was the best thing for my game at the time (except for trying to tame my ego). Sadly, once I recovered I quickly lost the lefty gains I had made. I had dreams of being proficiently ambi!!! Not disciplined enough I guess.

Lol. Put down the drink, dude. I played today, the left wrist is wrapped up. I'm playing until the right wrist is cut. All's I'm saying is the left wrist probably won't be disc golf ready by the time the right wrist gets cut. It's probably going to take 6 weeks for it to be healed and there is only three weeks between surgeries.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh.. Carpal tunnel? I was thinking it was swing associated and you had to not swing it or something I dunno.. Haha. Just planning my own future surgeries.

Who the F is Joe mela? Is that 3P's real name? We are all supposed to be anonymous here.. Kevin.. Haha :D

Yes probably a few beer, too many to hot tub tonight, my wife will scold me..

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaahhhhh.. Carpal tunnel? I was thinking it was swing associated and you had to not swing it or something I dunno.. Haha. Just planning my own future surgeries.

Who the F is Joe mela? Is that 3P's real name? We are all supposed to be anonymous here.. Kevin.. Haha :D

Yes probably a few beer, too many to hot tub tonight, my wife will scold me..

Joe is an old head and a legend so to speak in the Philly area of DG. Throws so damn smooth, here's a brief write up on him:

https://www.padiscgolfhof.com/joe-mela

Anyone is lucky to play a round with him! Genuinely good dude.

I'm Grip! No Kevin's here...dick;)

Double post sorry. He designs lefty courses I swear lol

All of this ambidextrous talk is making me want to go do some field work with some Comets, but with both hands, and both BH and FH. I think the '20 MJ would be a good place to start Comets FHs with, due to its stability.

I'll have to post some Comet family pics, once I get my car back from the shop.

Maybe I'll put RoboComet back in the bag to throw while you can't steal it back from me.
Since I can't frolf, maybe I'll teach myself how to play bass guitar. Hey, look...somebody left one in my house. Possession is 9/10ths yada yada yada...

My 20 MJ is really flat, stiff, thick and slick. Does not feel like a Comet at all. Can't really comment on the flight as I didn't like it enough to play with it last year and this year it has been very windy everytime I've compared my Comets. I can however say that all my other Comets acted like Comets, only the 20 went all over the place.

My 21 MJ is nice. Feels, looks and flies just like my regular Z Comets. It's nice to support the Comet God, but anyone with alot of bills to pay might as well go with a stock Z

Anyone find any odd durability issues with runs of Z Comets from a few years back? I smoked a tree with a fan grip and my Z no longer sits flat on a table - it's got the characteristic downward warp in the few inches of rim around the mark from the tree.

Let it sit flat for a night after heating it in water, sure enough still there.

Comet is kind of a weird mold at the end of the day.

Anyone find any odd durability issues with runs of Z Comets from a few years back? I smoked a tree with a fan grip and my Z no longer sits flat on a table - it's got the characteristic downward warp in the few inches of rim around the mark from the tree.

Let it sit flat for a night after heating it in water, sure enough still there.

Comet is kind of a weird mold at the end of the day.

Large diameter and thin rim equals low rigidity and easy warping. I've had a lot of premium plastic Comets warp after big tree hits.

Old LE ESP Comets vs current run swirly ESP Comets

Just wanted someone else's opinion on this and whether to continue working a new comet or should go back to my old run.

I started throwing comets in 2011 as my understable midrange behind rocs. It takes so long to beat in a roc to a good understable level and the comet felt good straight out of the box. I have been throwing LE ESP Comets since 2010-2011, all heavy. I had a good stack of them and didnt realize they would be difficult to find again, I had given many away as gifts and have a handful of comet aces hanging on the wall.

About a year ago I was getting low on them and decided to look into buying more. I knew that they had started making production runs of ESP comets years ago but when I went online I couldnt find them anywhere. I kept my ear to the ground and when the recent run of swirl esp came out, I bought a handful to try out, again all heavy.

My problem with this new run is that they dont seem to glide as well and are more overstable then the older LE ESP that I have thrown. A touchy throw with the swirly will fade pretty early out of the hand and have noticeably shorter carry even with power.

Is there anyone else that has thrown these 2 runs and seen similar differences? I guess it doesnt matter since I will have to switch to new comets no matter what. The 2010 LE are impossible to find. If the new ones are more overstable, can anyone suggest different plastic/weights to get that older feel (Z is the only other plastic these days right?)?

Thanks All

Flat stock ESPs, or domey X I'd say.

Full disclosure I was a beaded midrange hater for over 15 years (did always love Spiders and Cobras for some reason), finally gave in and have tried Rocks/Ghosts/Wasps/Comets/Sentinel etc.

EDIT: Damn you elmex - now I can't properly type the word Rock;)

Yup I second the flat top esp flying like the old LE's depending on which LE run. Flat top esp's are generally the least stable.

Looks like i bought most of them in 2011. They all have the same stamp which i will try to attach a pic, but i havent done that before. I guess i will look out when/if production and inventory goes back to normal and try to find a flatter batch to try.

Side note, sure wish these swirly esp would come in brighter colors. All the ones i have seen are more pastel colors. Is that a swirl esp thing? I guess im hoping a normal esp run will bring brigt orange dayglo red and yellows back.

Attachments

• 20210426_212843.jpg
    20210426_212843.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Looks like i bought most of them in 2011. They all have the same stamp which i will try to attach a pic, but i havent done that before. I guess i will look out when/if production and inventory goes back to normal and try to find a flatter batch to try.

Side note, sure wish these swirly esp would come in brighter colors. All the ones i have seen are more pastel colors. Is that a swirl esp thing? I guess im hoping a normal esp run will bring brigt orange dayglo red and yellows back.

Don't lose heart buddy.. The dayglow yellows are awesome! I gotta soft spot for yellows, the tend to have a flatter top but not always. Honestly I'd keep an eye out for pfn yellows in esp. You're down in the US so you aren't competing for my stash/stockpile :D

Just wanted someone else's opinion on this and whether to continue working a new comet or should go back to my old run.

I started throwing comets in 2011 as my understable midrange behind rocs. It takes so long to beat in a roc to a good understable level and the comet felt good straight out of the box. I have been throwing LE ESP Comets since 2010-2011, all heavy. I had a good stack of them and didnt realize they would be difficult to find again, I had given many away as gifts and have a handful of comet aces hanging on the wall.

About a year ago I was getting low on them and decided to look into buying more. I knew that they had started making production runs of ESP comets years ago but when I went online I couldnt find them anywhere. I kept my ear to the ground and when the recent run of swirl esp came out, I bought a handful to try out, again all heavy.

My problem with this new run is that they dont seem to glide as well and are more overstable then the older LE ESP that I have thrown. A touchy throw with the swirly will fade pretty early out of the hand and have noticeably shorter carry even with power.

Is there anyone else that has thrown these 2 runs and seen similar differences? I guess it doesnt matter since I will have to switch to new comets no matter what. The 2010 LE are impossible to find. If the new ones are more overstable, can anyone suggest different plastic/weights to get that older feel (Z is the only other plastic these days right?)?

Thanks All

Flat stock ESPs, or domey X I'd say.

Full disclosure I was a beaded midrange hater for over 15 years (did always love Spiders and Cobras for some reason), finally gave in and have tried Rocks/Ghosts/Wasps/Comets/Sentinel etc.

EDIT: Damn you elmex - now I can't properly type the word Rock;)

Yup I second the flat top esp flying like the old LE's depending on which LE run. Flat top esp's are generally the least stable.
OK, OK, hold up here.

The guy said he got LE Comets in 2011. 2011 would be the 3rd run LE's. I bet they have no tooling. Those had a high shoulder and were actually quite stable for a Comet out of the box.

The 2nd runs were the flat, flippy LE Comets.

I'm not sure how getting a flat ESP Comet would get him a 3rd run LE Comet flight.