• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
I may have gave up too early on the watermelons, but they were too stable for how im used to using the esp slot. I carry a rr so i wasnt looking for that kind of stability.

I got some new blues im thinking of trying. Any word on how they compare to the melons?

Frank Delicious said:
What don't you like about them? Good glide and the stability of a RR comet.

I like the glide...but they feel too different in the hand compared my other esp comets. I can't get a consistent release with them. One throw will be overstable, the next is a nice long floating anhyzer. My x's and 2nd run esp's feel the same in the hand.

BLURR said:
I write the run that I bought them from on the bottom. The statements below are just things that I have noticed from throwing the ESP Comet since the 1st runs were released.

Like Frank stated, the first run ESP's did not have the X-Stamp on them.
The first runs were also fairly flat across the top and no high shoulder. Don't remember the tooling. The shape of these were like the flat top X-Comets in my opinion.
The 2nd runs, have tooling and the shoulder seems to be fairly similar to a the first runs. The ESP plastic on this seems to also be a bit stiffer than the 3rd runs.
The third runs have no tooling and a high shoulder on them.

I just picked upone in ebay. The plastic is translucent alnd almost seemed like Z plastic. It was fairly flat toped so i'm guessing it was a 1st run.

Has anyone else come across these Z-like discs and how do tthey fly?

Yes. I had one that I snagged from LS Disc's. The one I had was flat as a table on the top. It was about as stable a flat top x-comet.... :wink:

BLURR said:
Yes. I had one that I snagged from LS Disc's. The one I had was flat as a table on the top. It was about as stable a flat top x-comet.... :wink:

So in other words, it's just a more durable turnover disc? :?:

My amazing girlfriend got me a first run comet for valentines day. The comet is my favorite disc and I carry two esp's and a tp at all times. What plastic is the first run comet?! It feels like a super grippy z-plastic with maybe some x thrown in? If anyone has experience with these let me know what to expect flight wise as well. Thanks

That's what I was hoping, it just feels so different then the 10 year old one I have (obviously). Can't wait to throw it

Holy crap! I'm not the only one still throwing comets?

On a humorous, but sad note... I lost 7 comets last year!

Course, I lost them because I throw them for anything inside about 380 anymore, but damnit... I can't find any to replace the good ones I had! My suuuuuuper cherry beat first run esp, my best z ones... Wtf!? Why are all the comets so damn flippy these days? The only stable ones I've found are the non fluorescent pink esp ones, and I'm Sooo over limited edition plastic!

Is there some special trick to finding stable z ones these days? I'm running low on my backup stash, and all that's left are limited edition ones! :(

Yup, you are the only one left. But seriously, I stopped throwing comets for two reasons.

A: When I played am worlds in Rochester last year I threw the comets only a couple times over 7(!) rounds. This was partly due to the courses (longer par 3's and 4's) but also due to how little I trusted them in the wind. I found myself going to my rocs, even for some straight/turnover shots more often. I like throwing my mids forehand as well and rocs, while not as good as buzzes for forehand, are much more predictable than comets.

B: I have gone to throwing just Innova and Discmania in the off chance that I may ever be sponsored. Comets, Wizards and Zones were all I had to take out of the bag and I have had little problem replacing them with Rocs, KC Aviars and hopefully, some Glow Gators (still crossing my fingers on this one).

SkaBob said:
Wtf!? Why are all the comets so damn flippy these days? The only stable ones I've found are the non fluorescent pink esp ones, and I'm Sooo over limited edition plastic!(
How ridiculously overstable have your Comets been? All of the Z Comets I've thrown have been plenty stable, won't flip up if you're not throwing them wrong. The last ESP run isn't quite as HSS, but they still only turn a tiny bit.

I've seen some really flat Z Comets recently that are not nearly as stable as they should be. Not a fan.

My watermelon esp is domey as hell and has quite a lot more lss than my domey red z's these z's are the most stable comets ive ever had. HSS wise, its only a bit more like .25 or .5 more id say but it domed up so much its noticably smaller diameter or at least it feels like it

NoLifeLeft said:
I've seen some really flat Z Comets recently that are not nearly as stable as they should be. Not a fan.

they are fantastic if you're wanting the flight of an x comet to hold for a LONG time though. they have their uses.

The local TD around here just got in a bunch of new Z comets and they are all nice and domey with a PLH that is pretty high so you guys might be seeing some good Z comets soon also

victorb said:
they are fantastic if you're wanting the flight of an x comet to hold for a LONG time though. they have their uses.
True, and the flat Z aren't as twitchy as flat X. I like my Comets straight stable though so I buy lighter weight Z to avoid the fade of the heavy Z. For me, the domey, stable Z Comets at around 170g are about where I like them after a bit of beating and then they stay there forever. Good stuff.

I've got a good backup of domey, heavy ESPs now though so the Zs have been shelved for a while.

After having a rough two weeks with cracking/breaking disc's(2 aviar's and 1 roc), I decided it was time to forgive the comets in the closet and put them back in the bag. I have forgotten how glidey the comet is with a tailwind.

On a side note, anybody have any flatter Z-Comets 175g and above? I am down to my last one and not seeing too many of them around right now.