• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

People who think discs accelerate after you release them... don't get me started.

Discs technically do accelerate downward after release due to the force of gravity no matter what angle they are released. Of course, it may not look like it because other forces like lift are also in play. But the downward acceleration from gravity is always there.

Last edited:
Discs do accelerate downward after release due to the force of gravity no matter what angle they are released. Of course, it may not look like it because other forces like lift are also in play. But the downward acceleration from gravity is always there.

There's also constant rotational acceleration

David Feldberg explaining that the reason Innova put a bead on the Aviar was to give your finger a place to rest and release from. The bead was put on the Aviar to make it more stable

That the Buzzz (or insert Roc here) is the best all around disc.

*ducks to avoid the flying poo*

When people argue that discs resting on top of the basket don't count.

. . . The amount of people on here that are quick to give you unsolicited advice, and act like they know everything and are in fact 850 rated . . .

I very much agree, but some people honestly do know the game that well and just can't perform.

To add to this, the amount of people that you can tell are just regurgitating **** they read the day before; it's sooooo easy to tell in the language used whether it is their advice, or if they read it in another thread and don't truly comprehend what they just said.

I dislike all the misconceptions about hyzer-flipping. It's a very useful shot, but 90 percent of players don't use it because (at least that I've seen) there's really no great explanation on the technique. But people on here talk about hyzer flips all the time like it's the be all and end all of golf shots.

Another misconception I hate (from experienced players) is the constant telling newer players to disc down, or only throw putters, or whatever nonsense. While I firmly believe players who are new to the game should stick to Valk-esque discs, telling newer players to go down to nothing but fairways or mids or putters is, in my opinion, a step in the wrong direction. It will frustrate new players and not help them that much. Discing down should be a technique used to get players of all skill levels past a "sticking point" and after they've already developed their own throwing styles. If s player has yet to develop any habits, good or bad, telling them to step down probably won't have the desired effect and will bore them or even turn them off the sport, thinking they will never "get it."

The flipside to that, as previously mentioned, is high-speed drivers. I see so many new players chucking Bosses and Apes and Archons and whatever the hell else they find at Dick's. Give them a Valk and they have a much better time. New players still need distance drivers...jsut not the ultra-speed ones, obviously. Hell, I have a tough time throwing them most days.

Everything is a par 3

Another pet peeve, and I see this one A LOT around here when people are building new courses, that "pro level" courses need to be all Par 5 or 6 bomber holes. Tight wooded courses are much tougher and much, much more fun for all skill levels.

When people argue that discs resting on top of the basket don't count.

Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Not necessarily a misconception but annoyance. Every bag suggestion thread starts with add a pd.

Distance matters more than anything. Most common misconception in DG.

^^ THIS.

Also, when I ask a question on DGCR forum and get berated for not knowing the answer or for asking such a stupid question. New to the sport (or "noob") and like anything I do love taking in information that might help. :\

People thinking that I am super-offended if you call my discs Frisbees. I am pretty sure the only reason the sport is called "disc" golf is because Frisbee is a trademarked name. They are plastic discs that fly when thrown, after all.