• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

Its not ob if it lands on dirt even tho it lands by the bus stop.

2 meter rule..... Ahhhh

Putt jump- jump Putt is freaking annoying!

Another misconception I hate (from experienced players) is the constant telling newer players to disc down, or only throw putters, or whatever nonsense. While I firmly believe players who are new to the game should stick to Valk-esque discs, telling newer players to go down to nothing but fairways or mids or putters is, in my opinion, a step in the wrong direction. It will frustrate new players and not help them that much. Discing down should be a technique used to get players of all skill levels past a "sticking point" and after they've already developed their own throwing styles. If s player has yet to develop any habits, good or bad, telling them to step down probably won't have the desired effect and will bore them or even turn them off the sport, thinking they will never "get it."

When introducing new people to the game, I've had them throw a putter, midrange, Leopard, and something faster (usually a PD) before we hit the course. Once people see that disc speed doesn't equal distance, most opt to leave the drivers in the car (usually try to get them to carry the Leopard though). Most of those mid and putter throwers called me a couple days later to go back out and play. Those that threw drivers and had to deal with throwing from the rough didn't. I guess it just boils down to how you introduce that boring ol' putter. I try to throw the same discs (or similar if I don't have a backup) as them too.

Slow does not equal boring...throwing anything is fun. Throwing anything and staying in the fairway is a freakin' blast.

Crawl --> Walk --> Run

Saying you "turned" a disc over when all you did was throw a 13 speed disc that "meathooked" on you after playing for a couple days and reading some articles on a dg forum.

Snap. I am sorry, no, you must not have gotten any "snap" on that valkyrie that just went 245'......

...throwing anything is fun.
Yeah but somethings are more fun to throw: Throwing rocks... at kingace, for example.
I don't care who you are, that there's fun. :)

OK, OK - I shall stop feeding the troll. :eek:

Yeah but somethings are more fun to throw: Throwing rocks... at kingace, for example.
I don't care who you are, that there's fun. :)

OK, OK - I shall stop feeding the troll. :eek:

Oh my, please forgive this new comedian he is still learning.

I feed on tits, do you have any?

I do appeticate you thinking of me :)

Another pet peeve, and I see this one A LOT around here when people are building new courses, that "pro level" courses need to be all Par 5 or 6 bomber holes. Tight wooded courses are much tougher and much, much more fun for all skill levels.

This. Over and over.

The amount of people on here that are quick to give you unsolicited advice, and act like they know everything and are in fact 850 rated

The fact that a players high rating mean they know more. That's just plain BS.

While there are newer players quick to give advice, I'd take advice from a longtime player with a low rating whom understand Disc Golf before some player with a high rating that clearly plays well but doesnt always know why disc do what they do.

Don't confuse misconceptions with opinions...

probably just me and my OCD but someone who over annunciates the c at the end of disc. so it sounds like they are saying disK golf with a really hard k. Usually people who don't know what it is and are laughing at the idea.

I've mostly stayed out of these discussions, but somehow at the moment I can't resist.

Discs technically do accelerate downward after release due to the force of gravity no matter what angle they are released. Of course, it may not look like it because other forces like lift are also in play. But the downward acceleration from gravity is always there.

The usual language we'd use in physics is that there's always a downward force due to gravity. There are also other forces: drag, lift, etc. The net force determines the acceleration, which may be in different directions at different points in the disc's trajectory.

The huge misconception that seems to get trotted out occasionally is something like an idea that the speed _in the direction of the basket_, or _in the direction of the throw_ increases after it's released from your hand. That almost certainly doesn't happen (barring wind, etc.). There's presumably not usually a force in that direction after you release the disc. So, the net force, and thus the acceleration, are never going to be in that direction.

There's also constant rotational acceleration

You'll have some sort of a drag force/torque resisting the spinning of the disc through the air. I don't know that it's constant, but at least the direction might always be the same: the basic tendency to reduce the rotational speed.