• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

For casual rounds we usually have a "Hill Country" start. Throw 2 drives on the first tee and play the best. Gives you at least one opportunity to get warm, since we hardly ever warm up (we are stupid).

I think he is kidding...I think you realize that too. Good point though about the 50.

It was just a joke. I just wonder, regarding internet D, if some people make it up, but some really don't know that they're not throwing 400 ft. And, that was a good point about the 50! Unless the 50 stands for "50% across the field."

I had a question I've been thinking about, but this isn't something I've personally come across, wondering if anyone else has:

Are there non-DG folks out there, who's only experience with DG is seeing a couple guys at the park at the practice basket, and who think that that's all DG is? Like it's just a variation of horseshoes, or something, and have no idea of the scope of the game?

I know that I have a few clueless family members who get a look in their eyes like this is what they're thinking when I try to describe DG to them...call this a theoretical misconception that I'm curious about.

My favorite is when a co-worker comes into my office, grabs a trophy disc off my wall (usually a putter), argues about the difference between a disc and a frisbee then says 'This feels exactly like a frisbee'.

Common misconception: If you run a mold in Glow Y plastic it has a decent chance of being more stable than standard Y plastic.

I've tried about 20 molds in regular and glow plastic and destroyers are the only one I've seen it in. Buzzes, Stalkers, anything MVP, haven't seen it.

I've tried about 20 molds in regular and glow plastic and destroyers are the only one I've seen it in. Buzzes, Stalkers, anything MVP, haven't seen it.

Glo ch xcal are beefier than reg ch xcal in my experience, same with older firebirds. But that could be normal variance in runs and not attributed to the glo, who knows

I have heard this and my experience says it is usually true. Its not true?

It is false in mine and many others' experience. Some older runs of various molds (like the firebird) in glow plastic were famous for being more durable, sometimes stiffer, and sometimes flatter than their standard counterparts. This must have been because the discs cooled differently or the glow plastic at the time was more a more dense or durable one. This has been shown to no longer be the case for any company today. If you buy a glow z buzzz it will have the same chance to be identical to a regular z buzzz as any other regular z buzzz, even a year or two down the road. This is true for every mold as far as I am aware, but it could always pop up again depending on what plastics a company buys or what glow runs come out. A glow run that is released tomorrow does have every chance of being more stable than the average run, but so does a run of any plastic. The exact factors that govern the 'stability' of a particular disc aren't fact yet but the most important factor seems to be PLH as some scientific mind can surely explain, dome because the top of the disc contacts more wind and air (and possibly other factors), and stiffness because more flexible discs tend to wobble more out of the hand. Durability is also a huge factor obviously because the disc will hold it's original stability longer. As for how the disc flies from the factory, that all comes down to the molding, cooling etc. Some runs will be more stable, some less, and glow plastic appears to have no effect on that anymore in mine and many others' experience.

So you couldn't even find a difficult name to say so you had to make one up? The JLS is the only disc they have that is just initials and Discraft has been way worse about naming discs like that. Several of the Millennium discs have a suffixes that describe the flight, too.

You don't think they would be better off re-branding the discs? The company has that old man vibe even with the new stuff. I'm not hating, just not a fan of the names and marketing.

It was just a joke. I just wonder, regarding internet D, if some people make it up, but some really don't know that they're not throwing 400 ft. And, that was a good point about the 50! Unless the 50 stands for "50% across the field."

I had a question I've been thinking about, but this isn't something I've personally come across, wondering if anyone else has:

Are there non-DG folks out there, who's only experience with DG is seeing a couple guys at the park at the practice basket, and who think that that's all DG is? Like it's just a variation of horseshoes, or something, and have no idea of the scope of the game?

I know that I have a few clueless family members who get a look in their eyes like this is what they're thinking when I try to describe DG to them...call this a theoretical misconception that I'm curious about.

Nearly every single one of my friends give me a hard time about disc golfing, and use every form of ridicule you could think of or have already heard. The seem to think it's exactly like going out to petsmart, buying a dog frisbee, and throw it into a basket because you can find friends to play catch with you. It gets so irritating its to the point I may knock one of them out