• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comparing some molds, need some input.

Quinntastic

Birdie Member
Right now I feel that I am at a point that I have started to understand the dynamics behind building a bag. I have a pretty good idea of the style of molds and discs I like. However there are a few molds I would like to hear about as far as overlaps and versatility.

Basics. Play RHBH and RHFH efficiently, distances are as follows:

Putters: Marshal 235' max, 200' avg
Mid: Roc 275' max, 250' avg
Fairway: Teebird 400' max, 310' avg
Drivers: Valkyrie 440' max, 375' avg
Destroyer 420' max, 360' avg

So far what I have set is this:

Main putter: Prime Marshal

Approach putters: BT hard harp for OS, DX classic roc understable (problem #1: I'm not getting another Ontario DX classic roc... suggestions?)

Mids: I'm running a roc cycle, no problems there. I carry a verdict when it's windy as well. Have a champ panther that's starting to beat in that I'm hoping will be my US in the long run.

Fairway: I have a couple teebirds in the bag, as well as a leopard. I have a Mint Alpha that I've been using on and off as well. That all seems solid to me right now.

I am trying to find a good longer range overstable disc that wears well. Fights the wind without turn new, but when beat will turn but flex back in the wind consistently.

Right now I have been using a convict, though it seems I may have gotten a freaky OS one. I got another and it flew much straiter longer with a lot less fade, PLH seemed similar and it was heavier. Subsequently lost that second disc, so now I'm pondering if it's a good fit long term. Could a firebird or a thunderbird be a better fit? I like all 3 but it was only recently when I got the new convict(that I lost) it was a true consideration.

Control Driver: Pretty much settled on Valkyries for this. I have a few from old to new, none of them are incredibly US yet. The older PFN's are probably my longest discs. Does anyone use these for rollers? I don't have much luck with the leopard, and am debating trying sidewinders as I have a few laying around. But if a Valk can do it and I just need to work on form that maybe the best.

Distance Driver: I use a few destroyers, have a D4 when I need a lot of turn until I can find a nice beat destroyer.

Hope that wasn't too much, and than what I'm asking makes sense. Feel free to point out any glaring holes in my overall approach as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to find a good longer range overstable disc that wears well. Fights the wind without turn new, but when beat will turn but flex back in the wind consistently.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "longer," but I assume you mean fairway(?). Either way, I like the felon for this. I have a lucid that's starting to wear that has a little flex, but still a good fade. Very nice for downhills and head wind. I need to put the freshy into the bag, now that I think of it.

The felon has been one of my favorite molds that I've settled on this season. I don't need ultra beef in a disc, and this has a great use between fresh and worn. Great for forehands, also, as its flat and very comfortable in the hand.

$0.02

I wouldn't worry about replacing the classic roc, the marshal will develop into that, then get a new marshal.

I agree with Broken Shoulder, an Overstable pairing to go with the valk will serve you well, but if your destroyers are averaging 360', the PD or champ Orc will do almost all the same shots, then you just pull the destroyer for 400+' holes.

PD would fill that longer stable fairway spot. Probably C-line. PDs and Valks pair well.

I like an S-line PD to compliment something like a Valkyrie. A C-line would work as well, but would be even more overstable. Either way, the PD would be just what the OP is asking for.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the classic roc, the marshal will develop into that, then get a new marshal.

I agree with Broken Shoulder, an Overstable pairing to go with the valk will serve you well, but if your destroyers are averaging 360', the PD or champ Orc will do almost all the same shots, then you just pull the destroyer for 400+' holes.

I have both of those laying around too. Haven't thrown orcs in a while, and maybe it's time to bust out my Eagle stamp PD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely recommend a Firebird for your OS role. I can't say they'll gain much turn but they are great wind fighters! It would fit very well with the rest of your bag.

I love the Sidewinder in the Valk spot, but I wouldn't try to fix what's working for you. I like your plan accross the board.