• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comparing touring DG'ers to ball golf pros

So I was driving on my way to play a round yesterday, and it got me thinking...

Which touring disc golfers are most like the ball golfers of the past or present?

For example, I would think:

Ken Climo = Jack Nicklaus

Paul Mcbeth = Tiger Woods

Jeremy Koling = Bubba Watson

Nikko Locastro = John Daly

I'm sure there are a million different combinations.

Let me know what you think!

Best comparison wins an Innova stamped golf ball.

Climo = Walter Hagen

McBeth = Ben Hogan

Feldberg = Sam Snead

I won't go further. My point being is we aren't even close to having an equivalent to Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. We haven't been around long enough.

JC I would think (and I have no inclination to look any of this up) that no golfer will ever compare dominance wise to Ken Climo. When I think of majors won, the number of years leading the money list the amount of world titles (I know golf doesn't have a world title) the amount of wins per year and the total dominance of Climo in the early 2000's he would eclipse anything Nicholas, Palmer or Tiger ever did in their career.

Climo is the epitome of dominance in a sport.

I'm not disagreeing at all. :eek: What The Champ did during that stage puts him up there with very few others in any sport. But my mind did flash to one guy from my region who dominated his sport in a very similar way:

"Edwin Corley Moses is an American former track and field athlete, who won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals and set the world record in his event four times." What made that feat incredible is that he competed against the best in the world for a solid decade, made it through the heats and won every final in every meet for that stretch! :thmbup:

JC I would think (and I have no inclination to look any of this up) that no golfer will ever compare dominance wise to Ken Climo. When I think of majors won, the number of years leading the money list the amount of world titles (I know golf doesn't have a world title) the amount of wins per year and the total dominance of Climo in the early 2000's he would eclipse anything Nicholas, Palmer or Tiger ever did in their career.

You're probably right. But my point wasn't really in reference to "dominance" so much as level of competition. Ken was and still is a great player, no question, but how much of his dominance in the 90s was simply that he was a 1040 rated player in a world where #2 might not have even been 1010 rated? (I'm speculating and exaggerating a bit here to make a point, so please no need to list off all the good players he played against)

By the same token, would Walter Hagen have won eleven "majors" and four straight PGA Championships if he had the same depth of competition that Jack Nicklaus faced, let alone a Tiger Woods or a Rory McIlroy. Would Jack have won all the events he did if he faced the depth on tour that exists now?

I don't think it makes any sense to try to draw parallels between our current players and current or recent PGA players since I think we're at vastly different points in evolution.

I'm not disagreeing at all. :eek: What The Champ did during that stage puts him up there with very few others in any sport. But my mind did flash to one guy from my region who dominated his sport in a very similar way:

"Edwin Corley Moses is an American former track and field athlete, who won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals and set the world record in his event four times." What made that feat incredible is that he competed against the best in the world for a solid decade, made it through the heats and won every final in every meet for that stretch! :thmbup:

I guess if I have to go with sports dominance I'll go with my previous sport… ALEXANDER KARELIN

13 straight years undefeated in wrestling (real wrestling; think olympics) and 6 straight years without ever giving up a single offensive point!!!!!! That is dominance

others with incredible championship runs:

Dan Gable -- Univ of Iowa wrestling
16 NCAA Championships and 21 consecutive Big Ten Championships. Nine consecutive NCAA Team Championships from 1978-86.

John Wooden -- UCLA hoops
Seven consecutive NCAA championships and 10 out of 12 from 1964-75.

I guess if I have to go with sports dominance I'll go with my previous sport… ALEXANDER KARELIN

13 straight years undefeated in wrestling (real wrestling; think olympics) and 6 straight years without ever giving up a single offensive point!!!!!! That is dominance

Yup, Karelin was a beast! Good call.
(And edit: yep, Gable, Wooden...also great mentions. I'll add to coaches Larry Kehres: look him up!)

I know the OP was comparing disc golf greatness to ball golf greatness, but some of these other sports (unfortunately less well known by the 'general public') might be better comparisons for Climo. Man, I'd be proud to have been mentioned in the same breath as any of these guys. You know the ones you look forward to telling your grandkids, "I saw him play (or even coach)!" Once in a generation type of talents and dedication, anyway.

Last edited:
I feel like outside of heritage Simon makes a better Bubba than Koling. Him sliding around in a hovercraft would fit in perfectly on his instagram.

You're probably right. But my point wasn't really in reference to "dominance" so much as level of competition. Ken was and still is a great player, no question, but how much of his dominance in the 90s was simply that he was a 1040 rated player in a world where #2 might not have even been 1010 rated? (I'm speculating and exaggerating a bit here to make a point, so please no need to list off all the good players he played against)

By the same token, would Walter Hagen have won eleven "majors" and four straight PGA Championships if he had the same depth of competition that Jack Nicklaus faced, let alone a Tiger Woods or a Rory McIlroy. Would Jack have won all the events he did if he faced the depth on tour that exists now?

I don't think it makes any sense to try to draw parallels between our current players and current or recent PGA players since I think we're at vastly different points in evolution.
agreed

There can't be a tiger woods yet, no disc golfer earns enough money to hire all those whores.

don't think you can compare mcbeth to tiger cause tiger has been one of the worst tour players the last couple years. sure he started hot but he really crashed. mcbeth hasn't crashed and doesn't show any sign of crashing. but nobody knows the future maybe it could happen.

Latest posts