• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 10 all time MPO players

Wayne Mags

Birdie Member
Who is in your top 10 all time disc golfers? Here is mine:

10. Jeremy Koling
9. Calvin Heimberg
8. Paul Ulibarri
7. Nate Doss
6. Nikko Locastro
5. David Feldberg
4. Barry Schultz
3. Rickey Wysocki
2. Ken Climo
1. Paul McBeth

I like Uli and Jerm as much as the next guy but don't think I'd have them top 10 all time. I'd put Sexton ahead of either of them just off the top of my head. I think I'd put Eagle in before Calvin too.

I'd bet there's at least a dozen or so guys who from the 90s or 00s that I'm not familiar with who deserve mentions. Avery Jenkins to name one.

1. Climo
2. McBeth
3. Schultz
4. Doss
5. Wysocki
6. Schusterick
7. Feldberg
8. Locastro
9. McMahon
10. Dickerson

1. Schwebby
2. Barry
3. Moser
4. Climo
5. JohnE
6. Rico
7. McBeth
8. Ricky
9. Yeti
10. Feldberg

Players should only be considered for this list once they've at least turned 40 and have stopped playing MPO. JohnE McCray is an all-time great MPO player in the shadow of Climo. C.R. Willey had a similar fate. Darrell Nodland is another all-time great from ND. He's still winning in MPO in his 50s (62 lifetime MPO wins) with a rating of 1030. Not saying these guys are necessarily top 10 but pointing out that more research is needed to avoid recency bias.

Players should only be considered for this list once they've at least turned 40 and have stopped playing MPO. JohnE McCray is an all-time great MPO player in the shadow of Climo. C.R. Willey had a similar fate. Darrell Nodland is another all-time great from ND. He's still winning in MPO in his 50s (62 lifetime MPO wins) with a rating of 1030. Not saying these guys are necessarily top 10 but pointing out that more research is needed to avoid recency bias.

I'd personally l go with Wisecup over Willey. Willey was Climo's wingman, but never had a rating much over 1000.

I like your premise of a player being over 40, but I think exceptions can be made. I'd say we should give more weight to a player over 40 but if McBeth never won another event he'd still be in everyone's top 10. A similar argument could be made for Ricky since so few players have multiple world titles. Guys like Calvin and Eagle are still a bit too early to make that determiniation though. If Calvin quit today we'd be left with a big coulda been.

Who is in your top 10 all time disc golfers? Here is mine:

10. Jeremy Koling
9. Calvin Heimberg
8. Paul Ulibarri
7. Nate Doss
6. Nikko Locastro
5. David Feldberg
4. Barry Schultz
3. Rickey Wysocki
2. Ken Climo
1. Paul McBeth

This list isn't good…Climo at number 1 and until they win some more titles, Koling, Heimburg and Uli shouldn't be anywhere near top 10 ever

Bit confusing question--title states top MPO players, which eliminates (in my mind) the play of anyone once outside of MPO division (or age). Then the question asks top 10 all time disc golfers--that then invites FPO, and older division play as well.

If the intent is only the best players at their prime (playing for MPO World Championships, not other divisions), I think that can lead to different answers. I do agree there is a strong recency bias, but at the same time, the sheer # of players back in the 80s is dwarfed by today. If anyone has watched tournaments from the 80s or even 90s, putting for one thing was quite inferior to what we are seeing today. And I don't think the Aviar has changed much in 40 years, so it must be the Archer. Baskets are better for sure, but not enough to explain the difference in putting skill.

Lists like this are fun but without some sort of criteria (ratings, overall wins, earnings, major wins, etc.) then they're just fun lists.

Also, I wouldn't know where to draw the line but there almost needs to be a distinction between the older era and the newer era. Arguably when Climo was dominating the level of competition likely wasn't what it is today and I would venture to guess the courses he was winning on were technically "easier" than the courses that today's players are playing.

If magic was a real thing it would be awesome to stick Climo in his prime into today's field of players and see how he fares.

Lists like this are fun but without some sort of criteria (ratings, overall wins, earnings, major wins, etc.) then they're just fun lists.

Also, I wouldn't know where to draw the line but there almost needs to be a distinction between the older era and the newer era. Arguably when Climo was dominating the level of competition likely wasn't what it is today and I would venture to guess the courses he was winning on were technically "easier" than the courses that today's players are playing.

If magic was a real thing it would be awesome to stick Climo in his prime into today's field of players and see how he fares.
I think Doss winning Worlds in 2005 on the longest set of courses at that time initiated the transition to the next phase where a player's distance increased in importance. Disc technology and player development increased the need for a power forehand to contend. When I did the target survey in 2008 that I used to establish the three target classes: Basic, Standard and Championship in 2009, it completed the transition to where distance/power was also rewarded in putting with more championship baskets designed with a wall of chains reducing cut-thrus.

At least one of Brad Hammock, Mike Randolph and Josh Anthon should be in every top 10.

Several players that you can't see their history via PDGA due to expired memberships like Doss and suspended like Locastro.

Top 4

1/2. Climo, McBeth
3/4. Wysocki, Shultz.

Top 10:
Doss, Feldberg

After that, seems to me there is a lot of room for debate.

Russell, Locastro, Jenkins, Shusterick, Rico, McCabe, Anthon, etc.

Anthon didn't come to mind, but I think if we are just talking on course then he needs to be in the conversation for the top 10.

This far into the thread and zero mention of the 2018 world champion?

Not sure if he's top ten worthy but since someone mentioned McCabe a few posts ago I'd put Barsby ahead of him on just about any list.