• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cornhole on ESPN 2 this afternoon....Where has disc golf gone wrong?

This is really the only appropriate answer. I'll never understand why people need their leisure time activity "validated" by seeing it on mainstream TV.

I PERSONALLY don't need that validation, but let me throw this out there: my gorgeous fiancée is much more tolerant of me playing dozens of baseball games a year (even though, by the time I drive both ways and allow for warmups, etc., I'm gone five hours or more per game and it effectively occupies an entire day) than she is of me playing disc golf (when I could leave early, play 36, and be home by eleven a.m. and still have most of the day to do whatever).
Part of the reason is that she doesn't think DG is a "real" sport. Perhaps, with more validation from the ESPNs of the world, the other folks in our lives who don't play would be more supportive of our hobby/obsession, more interested in hearing how we finally parked our nemesis hole during an important round, or just generally make it "cooler" to be a disc golfer

I got an alert about a "thrilling" cornhole highlight the other day.

http://digg.com/2019/american-cornhole-league-daymon-dennis-airmail

:eek:

I mean if that's what passes for thrilling these days, ESPN should be televising me mowing my lawn. :|

Anyway, why do we care about cornhole? It's not even in my personal top 10 lamest things that have been on ESPN. I mean, they have televised cup stacking.

I got an alert about a "thrilling" cornhole highlight the other day.

http://digg.com/2019/american-cornhole-league-daymon-dennis-airmail

:eek:

I mean if that's what passes for thrilling these days, ESPN should be televising me mowing my lawn. :|

Anyway, why do we care about cornhole? It's not even in my personal top 10 lamest things that have been on ESPN. I mean, they have televised cup stacking.

It MIGHT have been truly amazing or thrilling if that four-point play was the ONLY way to win the match or something. All it did was make it a five-point deficit instead of the six it would have been had he simply holed it out. Great shot? Yes. Worthy of all the hype? Not even close

Maybe she just wants you out of the house more.

LOL. That's actually not the case, or she'd let me go spend more time throwing on non-baseball days. She complains about the baseball, too (particularly if it's the second or third game in a week), but will get actually upset with me at a MUCH higher rate if the reason I'm gone is DG

I'll go to a UGA game, and they have a kickoff, then a 'timeout for television' that is three full minutes. Then let's say a team scores... three minute 'timeout for television', then a 20 second kickoff, then another three minute 'timeout for television'.

CBS is the absolute worst offender on this one. I loathe seeing CBS get LSU games, because it means 4 hours where everybody else gets it done closer to 3.

At least they do the edited games mid week (or used to).

But the above does not explain why cornhole gets ESPN coverage and DG doesn't. I blame a lot of it on Dodge and Jussi. (not being facetious, there).

...ah screw it, I think everybody on this forum knows we'll never see eye to eye on whatever point you're getting at there. Let's skip the thread drift.

the other folks in our lives who don't play would be more supportive of our hobby/obsession, more interested in hearing how we finally parked our nemesis hole during an important round, or just generally make it "cooler" to be a disc golfer

You're right and wrong at the same time.

You're right because it is that way, you're wrong because it shouldn't be that way. Life just usually isn't that simple though, I get it.:\

It is for this exact reason that my stance on the whole thing is "ignore ESPN" - for an example, look at how bad they are with eSports. Their coverage is a joke, they've backed the wrong horse in terms of what games and what leagues to broadcast (or couldn't get the other contracts maybe, who knows?). Their coverage of Soccer, the most popular game in the world, is pedestrian at best. If anything, the fact that they're propping Cornhole is leverage for us long-term.

ESPN is catering to a much more narrow demographic than they used to, by necessity I'm sure. What ESPN rose to dominance on was access to popular sports. The internet undid all of that gatekeeping by democratizing access to information, and eventually video content. People can no longer be kept from their favorite sources of content, and nowadays the internet is easier to access than cable TV. You could go give CCDG, Jomez, Smashboxx, etc. money directly towards their budget within the next 10 seconds if you wanted to. We took the control out of ESPN's hands by collectively funding our own hobby.

Think about it this way:

Why pay premium access rates just to get served an advertisement you might not see, for a product you might not want? You could simultaneously with one click support a small business that invests in your hobby, tip your favorite pro or media team, and get a (INSERT: belt buckle, backpack bag, disc, pin, etc.) that you 100% DO WANT.

One sounds much cooler to me, the rest of the people will get it eventually.

CBS is the absolute worst offender on this one. I loathe seeing CBS get LSU games, because it means 4 hours where everybody else gets it done closer to 3.

At least they do the edited games mid week (or used to).

Agree... though ESPN is bad about extending college games to 4 hours, as well. And yes, the SEC Network and sometimes the CBSSN (or whatever they call it) network has the edited games.

And if Disc Golf ever had Gary McDaniels :gross: commenting on rounds, DG would die off like that fig tree Jesus Christ cursed in the Bible...

ESPN is catering to a much more narrow demographic than they used to, by necessity I'm sure. What ESPN rose to dominance on was access to popular sports. The internet undid all of that gatekeeping by democratizing access to information, and eventually video content. People can no longer be kept from their favorite sources of content, and nowadays the internet is easier to access than cable TV. You could go give CCDG, Jomez, Smashboxx, etc. money directly towards their budget within the next 10 seconds if you wanted to. We took the control out of ESPN's hands by collectively funding our own hobby.

Think about it this way:

Why pay premium access rates just to get served an advertisement you might not see, for a product you might not want? You could simultaneously with one click support a small business that invests in your hobby, tip your favorite pro or media team, and get a (INSERT: belt buckle, backpack bag, disc, pin, etc.) that you 100% DO WANT.

One sounds much cooler to me, the rest of the people will get it eventually.

The drawback to direct streaming, compared to cable/satellite, is that it reaches people who go looking for it. Cable offers the possibility of catching the attention of people who weren't looking for it, but just wandering through the offerings. In the case of ESPN, it also offers promos during other sports broadcasts.

If direct streaming is going to draw an audience larger than the world of disc golf players, it's going to have to figure out how to reach others.

If it doesn't, that's fine with me. But for those with ambition of making it a major spectator sport, it's something to bear in mind.

Perhaps, with more validation from the ESPNs of the world, the other folks in our lives who don't play would be more supportive of our hobby/obsession, more interested in hearing how we finally parked our nemesis hole during an important round, or just generally make it "cooler" to be a disc golfer
Every scenario is different. My wife is a lot more tolerant of my "oddball" hobby of disc golf than she is of any other thing that takes my time away from family. It's just dumb enough to be interesting. She has actually commented that it's become less oddball in the last 20 years and that makes it less fun to tell people that's what I'm doing.

Same way at work; people pass along ANYTHING they hear about disc golf to me because I'm the oddball disc golf guy. They don't really seem to remember anything else about me, but I'm the disc golf guy.

God bless whichever mod corrected the spelling in the title.

Part of the reason is that she doesn't think DG is a "real" sport. Perhaps, with more validation from the ESPNs of the world, the other folks in our lives who don't play would be more supportive of our hobby/obsession, more interested in hearing how we finally parked our nemesis hole during an important round, or just generally make it "cooler" to be a disc golfer
I don't need that kind of conformist negativity in my life.

Good luck with her nonetheless.

Disc golf hasn't gone wrong, not being on TeeVee is a blessing in disguise!

TeeVee doesn't have much space for useful things in life, TeeVee would whore out our sport in a heartbeat.

Tell-Lie-Vision would rather have you sit back and drink alcohol and go numb mentally instead of find a reason to get exercise and move away from whatever screen has you in a trance.

Disc golf is too wholesome to be a whore on the boob tube, it wards off suckers and parasites who want to cash in. I wouldn't expect for disc to make any big debut soon on TeeVee, not enough bad habits can be attached to the sport yet.

Once pot is legal nationwide, then we'll probably see some coverage maybe.

TeeVee doesn't have much space for useful things in life, TeeVee would whore out our sport in a heartbeat.

Tell-Lie-Vision would rather have you sit back and drink alcohol and go numb mentally instead of find a reason to get exercise and move away from whatever screen has you in a trance.

Disc golf is too wholesome to be a whore on the boob tube, it wards off suckers and parasites who want to cash in. I wouldn't expect for disc to make any big debut soon on TeeVee, not enough bad habits can be attached to the sport yet.

TeeVee is bad, mmmkay? Drugs is maybe probably bad too, mmmkay?

-10 internetz for overuse of "TeeVee"

God bless whichever mod corrected the spelling in the title.

Pretty sure I know who it was, but don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't already know...

It was Dustin Keegan.

Troll_Face.jpg

Latest posts