• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cost of Disc Golf Setups

19 discs @ $15 - $285
1 Q Sentinel @ $40 - $40
Used Mahal $200
Custom cooler insert $PIF (Thanks BrentJ)
10 towels (2 at a time) $10
Insulated Water Bottle $30
Beers/Medicine $5-12 per round
Misc. (Koozie, pencils, band-aids, etc.) $20
Shoes (winter AND summer pairs) $180

@$773.

I do NOT want to know what I've got sitting in extras/backups, and I'm not even a collector.

Wow...I'm hesitant to add all this up as I'm always saying how much cheaper disc golf is than ball golf, but my tourney bag might cost the same as a set of irons. At least we don't have to pay greens fees for a casual round. Here we go...

Bag: Dynamic Discs Soldier ($50)
Discs: 18 in premium plastic at $15 each ($270)
Nalgene Bottles: Two at $10 each ($20)
Extras: Towels, minis, sunscreen, umbrella etc. ($35)

I won't include any of my threads in this. My hiking shoes, shades, jackets, and performance tees get used for much more than disc golf. The backups are plentiful as I've had the same setup for a few years now. I won't count the thousands of dollars I've spent on discs, gas, and tourneys over the years. I definitely won't include the money I've spent on beer!

So...Let's say $375.

1- Groove $15.00
4- misc found discs with phone numbers never called
1- plastic walmart bag
1- pair flip flop mom bought
0- shirt
1- iphone 6S with unlimited data- I don't really know the price of this

Wait, I am not a chucker?

1- Groove $15.00
4- misc found discs with phone numbers never called
1- plastic walmart bag
1- pair flip flop mom bought
0- shirt
1- iphone 6S with unlimited data- I don't really know the price of this

Wait, I am not a chucker?

Don't forget:

2- Tall boy PBRs
1- dog you have no control of that picks up peoples discs

Man, some of you are really going all in.

40-50 discs- $0 paid for themselves over the years via numerous trades and selling vintage discs to pay for multiple new ones. Seriously, I've kept track of this pretty decently. I'm a little in the hole now, but will be back out soon.
Sneakers- $0 I only wear old school gum sole Pumas anyhow.
Bag- $40? Nutsack Single from years ago and a recent 2.0 Single
Towelie- $5?
Water bottle- $0 Kleen Kanteen free from work (best bottle out there)
Innova Traveler-$120? Worth every penny, a practice basket is way more important than a big, fancy backpack, imo.

I've no doubt spent more on ball caps, deodorant, sunscreen, and gas than everything else.

Last edited:
Man, some of you are really going all in.

I've no doubt spent more on ball caps, deodorant, sunscreen, and gas than everything else.

I used to race dirt bikes and quads for a living, ball golf is cheap compared to that! I doesn't bother me to spend money on a hobby that I enjoy. Plus I was raised with the mentality that if you are doing something and you suck, at least look amazing doing it! :p

Oh crap, I forgot the practice basket, the mini basket, and all the minis too, add another $200 to my total. :/

Discs: 25 @16 = $400
Bag: Upper Park Rebel V1 = $200
Water Bottle: = $15
Bag of Sunflower Seeds: = $2
Shoes: Hi-Tek Figaro = $45

Total: $662

Discs: 16 @ ~$16 = $250
Magellan Bag = $40
Slingshot = $10
Annual Parking Pass = $40 (as opposed to $2 a day)
Minis, etc. = $10

Total: $350

If we're just talking about our setup we use during a typical round:

Bag - $80
Discs - $130

The rest of the stuff I use, I've gotten as gifts or from tournaments.

I don't think it's really fair to do a total. Disc golf is my number 1 hobby, and as a result a big % of my discretionary spending goes to it. If my extra money at the end of the month doubled, then my disc golf spending would probably double. If you cut it in half I'd probably not spend much on disc golf.

If I somehow managed to add up all the shoes, pdga fees, leagues, tournement entries, road trips, bags, discs and discs and discs and discs, over the last 10 years it would be a lot. Like, really really a lot.

Everything I could possbily need for a tourney would cost me under $300, if I had to replace it all.

For casual rounds it's less than $150.

Lat 64 Bag won in an raffle $25
18 discs $260 (this wasn't nearly as pricey as I thought even with BB Roc3s, 11x FB, etc)
Merrell MOAB's $90
Pink Nike golf umbrella $20 off the clearance rack
Knock off Nalgene Water Bottle $4
Birdie Bag, liquid band-aid, snacks, etc. $20

Total: $415ish

Building a disc golf bag is kind of like a fisherman building a tackle box. It starts adding up after awhile.

Dynamic Discs Soldier Bag with straps - $75
19 discs....
3 base plastic @$9 each = $27
4 midgrade plastic @$12 each = $48
12 premium plastic @$15 each = $300
total = $375
Golden retriever - $25
pencils and index cards $1
minis = $3
microfiber towels = $2
zipper pulls (self made) = $1
35' Fatmax tape measure = $30
Sharpies = $2
mini flashlights = $4
Total = $543

I don't have disc golf specific shoes, carry a stool, or use a Nalgene, I just refill Gatorade bottles with H2O. I do occasionally carry accessories like an umbrella or poncho, and use consumables like sunblock and mosquito repellent.

You know my math sucks today....

12 premium plastic @$15 each = $300
total = $375

12 premium plastic @$15 each = $180

which drops the total to $423, but still. That's just my league bag. That doesn't include the tournament bag or about 350 discs in storage.

Same bag and discs for all situations.

Grip C14 - $180
14 discs - $210ish
homemade disc retriever - free
2 Gatorades - $3
Merrell Chameleons - $120
metal MVP mini $14 (did I really pay that much for a mini?!)

Total - $527. However, I've got plenty of other discs and a couple bags as backup. So I wouldn't have to spend that much if I lost my bag.

Wow I feel cheap.

22 year old Innova round bag - $18
12 discs, $8 average - $96
used dish towel - $1
water bottle - used for all sports
sneakers - used for all sports

So about $115 total, but with depreciation maybe more like $0. I buy 2-3 discs a year just to see if the newest speed 17 disc works for me, or if a different putter will bump me from 50% from 20 feet.

I've probably got around $200 worth of discs in my bag, and probably around $60-70 in the bag itself. I don't carry or wear anything else that I only use for disc golf, so my shoes, towels, water bottle, etc. are things I would have anyway, and in my opinion don't count.

I also have a box full of discs in the garage, and an Innova practice basket I bought used for $75, which adds a couple hundred more $, but they're not part of my "setup" for a round.

My tourney setup, I buy and trade for discs and gear so I am not factoring for full retail replacement. This is the largest setup I carry on the course with lots of backups for long rounds lost discs are high possibility. (with 3 times the backups at home)

Used Pro discus Bag: $150
26 discs at ~13 each average: $338
towels/chamois/birdie bag: $30
Tags for 3 local clubs $55
Clipboard/Pencils/Markers: $5
First Aid Stuff: $2
Retriever (paid for itself by now...): $20
Minis: various trophys and shwag from clubs: free
Snacks: $2
Not counting shoes/clothing ect.
$602

my flak X full of discs would cost me about $700 Canadian to replace (about $550 USD) but I would realistically be able to get by with about a $200 setup if I was frugal, which I'm not. if I added up the market value of all the discs I own as well as baskets, shoes etc... I could probably pay for a new engine and a paint job for my Cutlass Supreme.