• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cost of Disc Golf Setups

rickles

Eagle Member
All this talk on another forum about how much people are paying for discs has me thinking what other peoples setups cost (disc, bag, cart, etc.)? Things in your setup bought specifically for disc golf use and carried on a casual/tourney round...

Rickles Current Setup:

• 25 discs @ $16 avg. = $400
  • 1 Lat 64 DG lux bag - $200
  • 1 Disc Grabber - $25
  • 1 Nalgene - $20
  • 2 Towels - $5
  • 1 DD hand rosin bag - $6
  • 1 stroller cart (post-mod's) - $65
  • 1 Solomon Techamphibian Shoes - $80

Total DG Setup - $801

It did take me 10 years to get here though, but i'm surprised at the cost when I add it all up. Even just the bag and discs is a huge hit to lose (McBeth) and yes I have backups but those backups aren't broken in. I didn't take the time to break down plastic costs, but I average the $16 range with a few of each plastic and nothing exotic/high purch price. Not that I'm comparing DG to BG but I used to think the equipment for DG was cheaper than BG. But maybe it depends on the clubs or discs you select...DX or Champ cost diff...where BG clubs do the same thing. So really its the pay to play prices and environmental impact (being less than BG) that keep DG cheaper to play long term.

One of the differences though is starting cost. You can start with just a disc or two. Kind of hard to play traditional golf with just one or two clubs.

One of the differences though is starting cost. You can start with just a disc or two. Kind of hard to play traditional golf with just one or two clubs.

Great point there, I agree! That's how I got started was with a driver then I learned I needed a putter...played for a summer like that and was hooked so over winter I stewed on my new love and read and bought lots of discs.

Also seeing what my setup is like really shows where i'm at in my journey with DG, doesn't mean i'm good...probably just means i've learned a lot about what I "think" I need.

This could also be difficult to compute if almost everything you use was acquired through tournament player's packs and winnings. I'd say 80% of the discs I throw, my bag, almost all of my drifit shirts, my umbrella, etc., etc. came to me this way (after spending some out of pocket my first year). I built a cart out of things in the garage and a bag a buddy wasn't using any more. Probably my biggest expenses are a pair of new hiking/playing shoes every 6-12 months (I average at least a round a day). Well, that, gas, and entry fees :p

I tend to think of the discs won as being paid for by travel costs and entry fees...technically I paid for them. And here in ND to get tourneys with larger payouts means further travel...giving a linear progression where it costs more to win more essentially. But yes, if you acquired through trade or free that's even better. I traded many older non-used discs for backups of my current throwers...mostly since i'm not interested in having two bag setups (i don't play more than 3-4 times a week).

16 disc - $200ish
Magellan DG Backpack - $40
Water Bottle - $20 (gets lots of non DG use)
Merrell boots - $100 (gets lots of non DG use)

$360 total.

12 discs - ~$150
Fade Crunch Bag & Innova Quads - ~$50
Water Bottle - Free from work
Towel - Free from work

Looks like I am sitting at around ~$200 for my entire setup right now. This doesn't include the roughly 20 or so backup/tester discs I have sitting at home, but I only counted the stuff I actually use while playing.

I did the math about 300 spent on what I carry, I bag about 15 disc, Ive never added it up. I feel I have every thing I need for a long day of DG... so for me the cost wasn't to bad.

Ive spent more on " stuff, wall hangers etc".. but what I carry, about 300 it was spent over time.

I think my total set up cost less that some folks DG backpacks, I guess the amount spent depends what you like, want, and feel you need.

21 discs, Ergo 1 bag, converted golf push cart, shoes for dry (and a pair of wet), disc gator, nalgenes...

I'm probably well over a thousand in total, but I've spent no more than $200 (two pairs of shoes and the disc gator) on my setup this year.

coming in at $600, sheeeesh.

bag - $125
shoes - $125
~20 discs - $300
h2o bottle - $30
beers & snack - $10
towels & birdie bag - $10

My BG setup is almost 3X as much as my Flak4 with 24 discs. And that's with mid-range equipment purchased 1-2 seasons after release, or used. Plus I lose about $100 worth of balls every year.

My BG setup is almost 3X as much as my Flak4 with 24 discs. And that's with mid-range equipment purchased 1-2 seasons after release, or used. Plus I lose about $100 worth of balls every year.

Pretty much what I figured. Disc golf equipment could double in price and still not even be close to BG.

AGH. My wife would kill me if she read this forum...

Dynamic Disc Ranger Bag, Breast Cancer Pink - $200
Bag Boy Quad plus cart - $220
21 discs @ $15/ea - $315
Chair- $30
Water bottles - $20
Retriever -$30
Keens - $120
Bug spray/sun screen/towels/Advil/snacks/water shoes/umbrella/ - ~$80

Total - $1015 This is just what I walk around with, not including backups.

Initial start up was $50 though, bought a driver, mid, and two putters from a second hand sports store.

True, i've lost hella BG balls...but only one disc this year to some tall grass I gave up on (didn't care for the disc).

Haha, glad my wife doesn't read this either...and that she doesn't have access to my CC account :). Seems like once a month there's about $30-50 in discs I buy...lately less though.

These are actual costs, free if it was free, no average on the discs prices. Surely didn't see it getting this far when I bought a Cyclone and an MRX at age 15.

21 discs - $309
Octothorpe(shipped) - $310
Customer Cooler Insert - $25?(not sure, still in production)
Platypus Collapsable Bottle - $12
Merrill Boots(only for Diamond X & other non-cement padded courses) - $105
Umbrella - Player Pack
Buck Knife - Free
1st Aid Kit - Free
Lil Wiz - PIF(not sure what I gave up after but we'll say $17)
3 Minis - $5
Petty Cash(gotta have CPT & 5-1 dollars) - $21
Bridie Bag - $4
Sunglasses - $13

Totaling(minus the little stuff I may have forgotten) - $821

Of that, the only current year expenses are the Bag/cooler insert, the Lil Wiz, 2 discs, and the actual cash.

I didn't pay for my bag so that's a savings, as well as a few of my discs.

I paid about like this;
Bag- free($125 retail)
20 discs- $160($250 retail)
Shoes- $45
Extra thick socks- $30
Towels and whatnots-$20

Innova Deluxe $25, bought it new on this website
~13 discs, prices ranging from $0-$10, figure under a $100 for the 13
so less than $125 total.

My 1 disc set up that I use a lot
= $10

wow

21 discs at 15.00 315
Grip bag 180.00
Golf shoes 120.00
misc golf bag stuff 75.00
stool 40.00

730.00 yikes and im just a rec player ;)

Latest posts