• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Is there an etiquette for bagging courses? There's a city park nearby that I could add for course #134, but it has no signs and enough briars to swallow a bagfull of discs. What counts as a proper bag in that case? Can I play a hole and then count it as played, or do I play all of them and then grieve my lost plastic?

Is there an etiquette for bagging courses? There's a city park nearby that I could add for course #134, but it has no signs and enough briars to swallow a bagfull of discs. What counts as a proper bag in that case? Can I play a hole and then count it as played, or do I play all of them and then grieve my lost plastic?

The criteria that TimG put forward many years ago was if you've played a majority of the course. I think everyone has their own criteria though. To me if I at least walk all of the holes I count it. There have been many courses I've played that are 9 baskets in a field and the tee pads really don't matter. I can see all of the holes, and walked them so I count it. I rarely use this, only when I'm short on time (or patience) and the course is so open that I can see everything. In the example you used, I'd say you can mark it as played if you walked the holes but my criteria may be different than others.

Pick your own level of etiquette. Base it on your reason for bagging courses. Some don't count anything but complete, sanctioned rounds. Others will count tossing a mini out the truck window toward a backyard basket.

My threshold is that I count a course as "played" when feel I can answer questions about the course for anyone considering playing there, and/or I learned something about designing courses from "playing" it.

Sometimes, that can be one toss into one basket. Like for a practice area with no tees. (Yes, I count those, because I've designed those.)

Carrollton and Hummel were both kind of a pain in the ass WITH Udisc.
Carrollton I didn't have too much of a bad time, just way too many extra steps. Hummel sucked, and it was also 98 degrees that norning 😂 when we got home from Omaha that afternoon it was 109.

My rule is I have to have played the advertised number of holes (9, 18) unless some are clearly closed, as close to the official layout. If I'm unable to stick to an official layout I will note it in my review (couldn't find the tee of 4, basket of 14 was missing, etc).

The criteria that TimG put forward many years ago was if you've played a majority of the course. I think everyone has their own criteria though. To me if I at least walk all of the holes I count it. There have been many courses I've played that are 9 baskets in a field and the tee pads really don't matter. I can see all of the holes, and walked them so I count it. I rarely use this, only when I'm short on time (or patience) and the course is so open that I can see everything. In the example you used, I'd say you can mark it as played if you walked the holes but my criteria may be different than others.
This basically.
1. I arrived at the course intending to play the entire thing.
2. I played the "playable" holes (hahah this bleeds into a different discussion).
3. I walked the remaining holes.

Carrollton I didn't have too much of a bad time, just way too many extra steps. Hummel sucked, and it was also 98 degrees that norning 😂 when we got home from Omaha that afternoon it was 109.

Yeah Carrollton wasn't too bad once I figured out where in the hell hole 1 was. Very um... unique layout there. It was either hole 3 or 4 at Hummel that took at least 20 minutes to find. I've never wished for next tee signs more than that.

I swore back in 2020 that I'd never go back to MO in the summer. I thought we were going to die it was so hot and humid. Since then I've been back twice....😐

I have always used the TimG criteria too on that I had to play >50% of the course. In all my courses played, the only ones I didn't play the full course were ones that you could not due to construction, or they were flat out gone. Or in one case, ran out of daylight or another, too crowded and skipped the last 3 holes because the wife (going to leave it at that, it wasn't pretty)

As far as missing basket, my recent trip to Sioux Frisbee disc golf course, I played all 9 holes as best I could even though only 4 of the 9 baskets were there.

I was trying to bag a course in Memphis right before Covid that had spotty directions to the parking lot/first tee. I could see baskets over a fence from the street, but I couldn't figure out where to get in.

I eventually gave up and went to the bar. I had a limited amount of time before I had to get to the airport and it wasn't the sort of neighborhood where I'd feel comfortable parking and wandering around.
Ugh, Memphis. Had my car window smashed and stuff stolen when I played Shelby Farms on the east side of town a few years ago. I've definitely parked in sketchier spots and been alright in other cities.

My rule is I have to have played the advertised number of holes (9, 18) unless some are clearly closed, as close to the official layout. If I'm unable to stick to an official layout I will note it in my review (couldn't find the tee of 4, basket of 14 was missing, etc).
This is my personal criteria as well. I feel compelled to put a disc in every basket, regardless of my own sanity or safety.

Yeah Carrollton wasn't too bad once I figured out where in the hell hole 1 was. Very um... unique layout there. It was either hole 3 or 4 at Hummel that took at least 20 minutes to find. I've never wished for next tee signs more than that.

I swore back in 2020 that I'd never go back to MO in the summer. I thought we were going to die it was so hot and humid. Since then I've been back twice....😐
I will be playing Hummel in a week. Any tips for navigating?

Yeah it's hole 3 to 4. Took me about 10min, and I knew beforehand that it was a tough transition.

What do you think it's like living here! I went out to Marshall on a 106 degree day cause it was the only chance I was gonna get to bag it for months... thought I was gonna die right there on hole 6's tee box even with plenty of water (also a wake-up that I needed to get in better shape). KC is much more fun in the fall/winter, the nasty overgrowth on some of the courses goes away, and you can get massive ground skips!

Back in the day, getting to the course was sometimes as challenging as getting around it. Several times we used Lat/Long coordinates and ended up looking through a fence, at hole one. Back then we printed course sheets off the PDGA website. We had to use some local directions to get to the course.

Maps were pretty few and far between in those days.
That reminds me of the first time we went to The Woodshed in Paw Paw WV. Kept expecting to hear banjo music any moment.

That reminds me of the first time we went to The Woodshed in Paw Paw WV. Kept expecting to hear banjo music any moment.
Lol... the road out driving up to that place reminded me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book. I recall thinking I'd never want to drive that road in icy conditions.

I follow this also, play the majority of the holes. If a hole has serious lost disc potential, or construction, or other reasons not to play it, I'll walk the hole.
But, now that we are getting into the shorter daylight season :(, if there is an "out and back" couple of holes, or similiar loop, I will skip those to get done before dark. I recently had to skip 5 holes at Roger Williams U because a rugby team was warming up on the open field where those holes were. My throws probably wouldn't have hurt those guys, but I didn't want to find out!! :ROFLMAO:

I follow this also, play the majority of the holes. If a hole has serious lost disc potential, or construction, or other reasons not to play it, I'll walk the hole.
But, now that we are getting into the shorter daylight season :(, if there is an "out and back" couple of holes, or similiar loop, I will skip those to get done before dark. I recently had to skip 5 holes at Roger Williams U because a rugby team was warming up on the open field where those holes were. My throws probably wouldn't have hurt those guys, but I didn't want to find out!! :ROFLMAO:

Your throw may not have hurt them but their response could have hurt you! :)