• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy violation

If a player gets their 2nd courtesy warning, they get a stroke added to their score for the hole in which the violation occurs. Thus the violation could cost them the hole and match. Overall scores in match play are used for overall match tie-breakers.

Where does it say that?

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round...​

If I'm walking between holes and get called for my second courtesy violation of the round (say I shout an obscenity at a player on another hole as I walk by and my group calls me on it), what hole do I assign the penalty to? The previous hole or the next hole? If it's match play, do I change the outcome of the previous hole by adding a throw to my score there or do I start the next hole with a one throw handicap (basically throwing 2 from the tee)?

A courtesy penalty is no different than a scoring penalty. It doesn't apply to a specific hole, it applies to the total score.

You don't have to finish a hole if you don't want to, just the full 18 holes with match play scores: like 17-1, 10-8 or even 1-0 in a very closely contested match.

OK I see, it's not really scores. It's holes won out of 18. A modified version of Match Play

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

801.01 F
A rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws may be called by any player in the group, or by an official. If called by a player, it must then be seconded by another player in the group.

Two questions:
(1) In match play, what constitutes a group? Consider that in a team event teammates may not be impartial;
(2) Courtesy violations may be called by a member of another group, does that mean a member of that other group can second the violation -- even if the offender's group disagrees with the call?

Where does it say that?

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round...​

If I'm walking between holes and get called for my second courtesy violation of the round (say I shout an obscenity at a player on another hole as I walk by and my group calls me on it), what hole do I assign the penalty to? The previous hole or the next hole? If it's match play, do I change the outcome of the previous hole by adding a throw to my score there or do I start the next hole with a one throw handicap (basically throwing 2 from the tee)?

A courtesy penalty is no different than a scoring penalty. It doesn't apply to a specific hole, it applies to the total score.

Good argument. Since I've never seen a 2nd CV called, ever, I'd venture to guess that there is a match play rule for this, though I've never seen that either. Who would know? I couldn't find anything.

I say its pretty legit that the Yeller acknowledged fault and let the player re-throw. Seemed to be a consensus within the group. So I say, no harm, no foul.

But in a tourney? looks like a warning to the yeller. seems kinda weak. I'd allow a re-throw given the scenario. Its only fair, but...who am I to say

I say its pretty legit that the Yeller acknowledged fault and let the player re-throw. Seemed to be a consensus within the group. So I say, no harm, no foul.

But in a tourney? looks like a warning to the yeller. seems kinda weak. I'd allow a re-throw given the scenario. Its only fair, but...who am I to say

In a tourney, presumably non-match play, the rules are crystal clear. Call the violation on the yeller, assess a warning if it's the first violation, but that's as far as it goes. The rules don't allow for a re-throw in that situation and whether anyone thinks it's fair or not is irrelevant.

What makes the OP's scenario unique is that it is match play. The only players affected by the actions involved are the two players in that match. I'd say that goes even in a team situation. The individual players are making decisions all the time during the match that have ramifications to the "team" result. Every decision to concede an opponent's putt (for a push or a loss) or pick up and concede a hole (for a loss) is done without consulting or considering the team as a whole. I don't see where deciding to allow your opponent a free re-throw due to an error on your part is all that different. If both sides agree, it's a wash.

Another way of handling this is for the yeller to intentionally throw is shot also OB and then both players retee throwing 3 and it's basically the same thing as giving the original thrower a free retee.

In a tourney, presumably non-match play, the rules are crystal clear. Call the violation on the yeller, assess a warning if it's the first violation, but that's as far as it goes. The rules don't allow for a re-throw in that situation and whether anyone thinks it's fair or not is irrelevant.

What makes the OP's scenario unique is that it is match play. The only players affected by the actions involved are the two players in that match. I'd say that goes even in a team situation. The individual players are making decisions all the time during the match that have ramifications to the "team" result. Every decision to concede an opponent's putt (for a push or a loss) or pick up and concede a hole (for a loss) is done without consulting or considering the team as a whole. I don't see where deciding to allow your opponent a free re-throw due to an error on your part is all that different. If both sides agree, it's a wash.

exactly.

In an ace race once I saw a dispute that kinda runs in this area.

Guy steps up and throws a decent shot, but it was at the wrong basket. Everyone kinda goes "Whoah, where were YOU goin?" Thrower said he thought the basket was over there, but clearly it was the wrong one. He wanted to re-throw at the correct basket, but half the card said 'NO' The guy got really pissed and threw the bag around, etc, etc.
NOW, in that scenario, I personally would say "Hey go get the disc, and you can re-throw" I don't care, and I think it's only fair, he clearly aimed at the wrong basket not just a bad shot.

But thats me

Latest posts