• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID-19 Course Closures

Plus they only posted course closure signs at hole 1. When I start on an odd ball hole and get to hole 1 and see that, I'm going to finish what I started.

I feel like this is something that ought to get you off the hook exactly once, but once you continue playing, you're knowingly trespassing on a closed course. I don't like any of this COVID-19 situation either, and given that I play nearly 100% solo rounds, and that I've been taking extra sanitation precautions since things started really getting bad, and that I'm not a member of the PDGA, I feel no obligation to follow their directives, but knowingly playing closed courses (in today's day and age, it's really never a safe assumption that you aren't being watched) is how we're going to get parks to pull courses for good.

Stick to the courses that are open, please. If a course has their baskets in, and no indication on site that the course is closed, play away (and may I suggest taking some bleach wipes for use on your discs, and hand sanitizer...and maybe think twice about playing a course that is clearly packed), but if there's an indication on site it's closed, playing it is asking for long-lasting trouble.

Remember, many of these courses are at public parks, all of whom are run by municipalities who have the authority to say "you know what, this disc golf thing is a nuisance", and wash their hands of it ever being a thing again.

Pier park baskets get cut up......

Any locals want to chime in on what exactly happened there?

Ohio Gov today said he'll have new guide lines pertaining to the parks since there have been too many reports of large groups and no safe distancing. Disc golf was not mentioned but of course will be affected.

I feel like this is something that ought to get you off the hook exactly once, but once you continue playing, you're knowingly trespassing on a closed course. I don't like any of this COVID-19 situation either, and given that I play nearly 100% solo rounds, and that I've been taking extra sanitation precautions since things started really getting bad, and that I'm not a member of the PDGA, I feel no obligation to follow their directives, but knowingly playing closed courses (in today's day and age, it's really never a safe assumption that you aren't being watched) is how we're going to get parks to pull courses for good.

Stick to the courses that are open, please. If a course has their baskets in, and no indication on site that the course is closed, play away (and may I suggest taking some bleach wipes for use on your discs, and hand sanitizer...and maybe think twice about playing a course that is clearly packed), but if there's an indication on site it's closed, playing it is asking for long-lasting trouble.

Remember, many of these courses are at public parks, all of whom are run by municipalities who have the authority to say "you know what, this disc golf thing is a nuisance", and wash their hands of it ever being a thing again.

You guys do you. I choose to not participate in the COVID-19 orders.

I also did not have snow tires or chains when heading south on US24 out of Vail, CO.

Last edited:
Slight twist on this thread, but why do so few people update course conditions? I sort of understand not taking the time to write a detailed review, but updating the course conditions takes less than a minute. Four of the top 10 courses on this site have a blank for course conditions. Three more have course conditions that are more than two months old. My home state of Texas is even worse: The top 10 course ALL have blanks for course conditions. And it's not just the top-rated courses. The most-played course (Golden Gate in San Fran) has course conditions from Jan. 8. I'm probably preaching to the choir here because the folks who post here are the ones who update course conditions.

So check out this review for Scouting Woods:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=6848&mode=rev

Not a lot of detail on this one.

And what are the current Course Conditions? Good - with no details. :wall: :doh:

I saw that as well and share your frustration. The course conditions were updated by someone else, on Feb. 24. So, someone went to the trouble of writing a review to say the course is open, but you only see that if you get past the first page for the course. Updating the course conditions would have been way more helpful and taken less time. :wall::wall::wall:

The State of South Carolina just closed all boat ramps due to "observed behavior".

You'd think going out on a boat on a lake would be pretty good social distancing, huh? Like disc golf?

Then you realize that, of course, there are covidiots everywhere.

It's just a matter of time before we can no longer claim to be the most intelligent species on the planet. :|

:smfh:

Closures...

I do my best to update course conditions because of the virus! I drove an hour and a half out in the middle of no where South Carolina to play a course with closed gates. Yet everyone tells me to jump the fence. I know the first time I do I'll be wearing orange saying I'm someone's B**ch! I just know my luck and also out of state plates doesn't help the situation. Please if gates are locked just list the course as unplayable and list the virus as the reason. I could careless if locals say it's open... it ain't open to the public with locked gates and for others who play that travel and work transfers...

I do my best to update course conditions because of the virus! I drove an hour and a half out in the middle of no where South Carolina to play a course with closed gates. Yet everyone tells me to jump the fence. I know the first time I do I'll be wearing orange saying I'm someone's B**ch! I just know my luck and also out of state plates doesn't help the situation. Please if gates are locked just list the course as unplayable and list the virus as the reason. I could careless if locals say it's open... it ain't open to the public with locked gates and for others who play that travel and work transfers...

I think you're giving too much credit to the power that DGCR welds. There isn't a newsroom gathering all the latest updates from around the world on every single course. Tim & company aren't calling local P&R departments for daily updates. It's done by by people who are on this site. It should be abundantly clear over the past several weeks that life is changing on an hour-by-hour basis. So to make a drive halfway across a state to a course during a pandemic to attempt to play a course shows questionable judgement at best. Although here's a random thought. Seeing how there are a dozen other courses in the greater Augusta region, why not play one of those?

As for the rest of the rant, where are you coming across people telling you to trespass? Didn't the idea of people daring you to do something go away once you entered middle school? At least you understand the severe penalties for trespassing. That indeed is 100% correct. So at least we got some sense of normalcy.

I'd suggest researching before traveling to any course.

But that's no guarantee, either, since things are closing so quickly around here.

He did complain about the exhausting layout and terrain at Chester State Park so there is that.

I'm just curious as to where you can drive 1 1/2 hours to the middle of nowhere, in S.C. It's a pretty small state (and the roads are clear of traffic, these days).

I'm just curious as to where you can drive 1 1/2 hours to the middle of nowhere, in S.C. It's a pretty small state (and the roads are clear of traffic, these days).

I wouldn't consider a course 15 minutes from Augusta/ North Augusta the middle of nowhere. Now, if he drove to Bamberg.