[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Ted Bratton

Double Eagle Member
Review, analyze, rate, compliment, discuss, speculate, inquire, brag, post picture and video, criticize, complain, and/or rant about everything Discraft and DGA here! Think Discraft needs more excitement? Share your opinions and experiences here!

I started playing with all Discraft, then for a year or two I threw anything and everything...with a distinct lack of satisfaction. So a few years ago I started converting back to all Discraft which I have enjoyed ever since. Having thrown a whole lot of Discraft perfection over the years I will talk endlessly about them!

I hear the 2015 Ace Race disc is an Aviar P&A copy of sorts...

The huge 2015 Ledgestone Open is taking place right now and if you haven't noticed they have released a buttload of interesting limited edition discs in various plastics like Cryztal, Sparkle, Ti, and especially a wide variety of special FLX discs. I only like flexible discs in the cold weather when I rarely play.

I hear they're coming out with a CrankSS soon, should be great. The NukeSS is under rated and mistakenly criticized IMO for slower throwers, it's an amazing max speed, glidey driver. I use a memorial Ti version for long right-turning BH rollers, it has the stability and glide of the domey King I used to use but it's faster.

A few of the Ledgestone fundraisers have caught my eyes like the Z FLX Ringers, but I will just stick with the nice stiff Proline Breaker in my car. They are Ringer copies. Proline plastic is plenty durable, more than innova Pro plastic, but gosh is it grippy. Especially in the rain and dew. The Breaker has been a great disc for me, I bring it out of my truck in windy conditions because Challengers aren't very overstable at all, a bit less than a wizard, even in Ti, Cryztal, and Z plastic. The Breaker is about the speed of a Pure or Classic Roc, and is similar to a Rhyno in overstability. Zones are much more overstable, and I've been enjoying the newer runs of D Zones which molded up perfectly with concave tops, but they beat up really nicely. The Zone is one of the most comfy discs in forehand and backhand that I've ever felt, and the most overstable putter/tweener made.

The Ledgestone "3" rated (Forces are rated "2") FAF Z FLX Trackers are interesting. Despite the approved discs chart the Tracker is a speed 8 fairway driver with a 1.8cm rim width and varies widely in stability, too much if you ask me. I bought two fresh Z ones from a vendor and one was very understable like a worn TL and the other was as overstable as a fresh Predator...and they were only a couple grams apart. They have the same nice mild dome, just too different in PLH.

Speaking of Forces, the SC top 10 green sparkle Z Forces are flat and as overstable as Flicks!

What do you think of Discraft's flight ratings?

I traded for a Flick recently and what a great disc. I've never thrown any driver that is so comfortable and releases so cleanly from a forehand grip, which I think is due to it's very flat top and shallow rim. A truly unique disc.

I bought a first run DGA Hellfire to check out and it is clearly a modified Flick. I'd say they are both about speed 11. The Hellfire has a lower PLH but much blunter Firebird-esque wing, and they are both meathooky. My Flick is just a touch more overstable than my Hellfire, and the Hellfire has a normal depth rim and is significantly more comfy in a backhand grip. It reminds me very much of a nice flat star Xcal.

They finally fixed the colors, molding, grip, and stiffness of Ti discs!

The new Mantis has been an all star for me in the woods, I have two in big Z, one which is very beat up. Big Z has been interchangeable with Z for me, though I heard that some discs like the Crank tend to mold up more understable In big Z. The Mantis is similar to a Patriot or a speed 8 Leo, but with a nice big dome which I'm convinced makes it glide so nicely. The new Heat is very similar also with a very nice big dome, but with the convex wing of a Roadrunner and it flies a little more understable than my beat up Mantis. The big Z Heat dragon stamp is ****ing badass.

The long awaited production Z Drones and Meteors are here as of last year, thank god! The Drone is such a nice skippy meathook midrange when the occasion arises, and the Meteor is a -money- long turnover mid after a short time seasoning. I prefer it to the Comet for it's speed and more comfortable grip. It takes -forever- to beat up a Z Buzzz to the point of a 2 week old Meteor. I haven't messed around much with a BuzzzSS yet. I used to throw Comets, great midrange.

The Avenger is a disc I rediscovered after I noticed that it is -extremely- similar to a Thunderbird, in flight and mold. I had one that was Predator overstable and now a couple years later it has straightened out and has been an important disc for long straight shots with a hyzer finish. The DGA Tsunami is the old, less overstable Predator mold, so in between a Pred and Avenger. Though there is very little gap lol...

The Magnet has been my go to putter for years now, I just never liked how the Focus (Wizard copy) and Challenger faded out earlier. The Focus is an under rated putter, it is pretty much a Challenger in speed and flight but with the proven big bead configuration of a Wizard. The DGA Steady is a lower profile Focus! The Magnet is also an underrated putter nowadays. The convex wing is super comfy for placing my index finger on. It is nice and slow and deep like Feldberg has always advocated, it fills my palm well. McBeth has proven the effectiveness of less overstable putters, and said he and Rico used to putt with Magnets before he was sponsored by Innova. People complain about the D plastic but it is usually nice and firm and it is always very grippy and catches perfectly, and it beats in nicely for putting. Not good for a Buzzz though, lol.

I throw premium and D Challengers, the premium's fly just like the D which is not very overstable. I haven't messed around with Banger GT's much yet despite their popularity.

The Rattler is a great lid, nice and stable, obviously slower than a Magnet. I keep one in my truck and play a lot of catch before and after rounds with it, but I very rarely play disc golf with it.

The BuzzzOS has been my favorite release in a long time. I used to throw Hornets and even a Nebula, when I discovered the awesome flat feel and overstability of Wasps. However the BuzzzOS has clearly replaced them all for me, and some of my Drone duties, because it just feels even better than all of them. It is so flat and comfy, and plenty overstable yet because of it's speed it flies just as far as my Wasps...which are back in the truck again lol.

I didn't like the feel of the Stratus, Impact, Xpress, XS, or Stalker a lot. The Big Z Zombee I had was truly a longer Buzzz, but a bit slower than a Leo or XL. The Z XL on the other hand feels better than all of the rest to me, and fit's right between a Buzzz and Mantis in speed with the same stability, so I bring it out of the truck on occasion for a straight, low shot where my Buzzz always comes up annoyingly just short.

The Nuke has been a go-to disc for me, there is nothing faster than a Nuke IMO. It definitely doesn't get the love it deserves. It's a faster, farther Destroyer. I've thrown a 172 ESP just over 500' dead flat ground a few times now outside of rounds. I have them ranging from faster PD2 meathook overstable (most of which are Ti), to Force overstable, to everything else. Some flat and screaming fast, some with huge poppy tops. Some in Z or Z variants, some in super grippy, faster beating ESP. Very similar to a Boss, Quasar, World, Missilen, Rampage etc. I don't understand why people let the wide rim get in their head, I get a perfect comfy power grip on my Nukes and I have typical Large size glove hands. The Crank is great because it is just a hair slower, just as a Destroyer or higher PLH King in design, but it flies like a well worn Nuke/Destroyer. I've thrown a few that were star Tern/King understable but all of my four Z Cranks are more like a faster champ Tern. The Force is nice too when you can't find a Nuke that reliably overstable, but they have been easy for me to find. The DGA Hurricane is like a speed 12 Nuke, I used to LOVE them but then I discovered the speed of the Nuke. The Z Lite Nukes I tried were extremely understable lol.

The Pulse is a SurgeOS, the Crush is a FlashOS...boring! Grab a Nuke and drop some bombs grandpa!

The NukeOS is the most meathook overstable Discraft disc when the top is flat/PLH is high...even more than the flicks I've thrown so far...crazy overstable!

Overall I rate the Discraft lineup of discs 10/10 perfect IMO! Plus their plastic has been great recently. I have had really good luck throwing them the past few years!

Last edited:
Baby we're just touching the tip, if you know what I mean! I want to see some sweet Discraft buys and pics of the new molds coming out.

Baby we're just touching the tip, if you know what I mean! I want to see some sweet Discraft buys and pics of the new molds coming out.
I would but it's late, and reading that post made me even sleepier.

I throw a lot of DC, but not exclusive at all.
Love, Love Love FLX Challengers.
Been liking the Crank... in Pro D!
X Stratus is a go to.
Wish they still made Z Storms.
they shoulda run the the Nebula as a production run... :(

Last edited:
Holy OP!

Got a question:

What is the Challenger equivalent to other brands?

Yeah it's a great disc. Nice dome, Roc-ish in shape and flight but very beadless in feel. But it's not super rare! If you like it who cares if it's production or special run. Plus the Hornet is so similar in design in feel, just more overstable, so you can keep Hornets in the mix to wear in your Nebs less.

Holy OP!

Got a question:

What is the Challenger equivalent to other brands?

Maybe a beadless Yeti, deeper Mercy, beadless slightly shallower Dagger, beadless Ion, or a slightly deeper beadless Wizard.

I have always thrown them a lot, they were one of my first 5 discs. I was really confused when they started to turn over on me because I thought they would always be overstable lol. In my bag I keep a Ti and a Cryztal (interchangable, the Cryztal is actually a bit stiffer), and a D. The premium are great for straight drives and overstable short ups, typical putter shots. They aren't as overstable as I thought they might be years ago before I tried any. The D is the workhorse for short straight ups and turning shots in the woods.

It has a very nice round, thick, substantial, beadless, deep feel. A little deeper than a Wiz, more palm filling. The D plastic tends to be grippy and firm like say an SS, but not very rigid like an S. Maybe the new CT crazy tough Ledgestone fundraisers are stiffer.

Comet is probably going to always be in my bag or in my head, wondering if I should bag it again. It's an amazing mid.

Wasp got put in the bag instantly; nicely overstable roc clone in premium plastic. Flex shots and straight to fade, might be a straight disc in a few years. I don't know how it will season in compared to a kc roc, but the hassle of getting a kc roc perfectly seasoned to dead straight and keeping it there isn't worth it to me even though nothing else flies as hss with such little lss.

Nukes are awesome. I prefer good high plh and faf flx nukes for my os duties but I don't bag nukes right now. Flx nukes are perfect for spike duty, super grippy. From there I would typically bag an x nuke for max d.

Comet... It's an amazing mid.
For those of you who know me, this will come as no surprise. I love the Comet.

It isn't a very versatile disc, it is very much a one trick pony. But it does that one trick so much better than any other disc I have ever thrown. This one trick is also the most frequent wish I had heard from golfers.

The one thing the Comet does better than any other disc? It holds whatever line you put on to it. Perfectly straight? Yeah baby, all day long! Hyzer? Yup, it will hold it until it hits the ground. Anhyzer? Again, it will hold it until it hits the ground… assuming you are throwing a relatively low line. If you throw a crazy high Anhyzer, it will flex out given enough height. But it takes an awful lot of height for that to happen.

This disc excels at effortless, glidey, sneaky-long, graceful lines. I love this disc in the woods because it is very much a finesse disc.

Because of these characteristics, the Comet makes a fantastic diagnostic tool. It will let you know if you have any dirt in your throw. But be forewarned: this disc is not forgiving at all. This is the very characteristic that makes it a fantastic diagnostic tool. I know several people who tried this disc when they were noobs and hated it because it was so unforgiving. After playing for a while, come back and try it; you might love it. Conversely, if you are a new player and the Comet is frustrating you… keep throwing it until it gives you what you want; you will be a much better golfer because of it.

Before I start sounding like a fanboy, there are many things this disc does not do well; for example, it does not do well in the wind, it does not do well when you try to overpower it, it does not do well with OAT, does not do well if you need something to flex back, etc.

Having said that, if you want an easy to throw, glidey, finesse disc that will hold its line to the ground… you owe it to your self to try the Comet.

If you want to know more, go visit the Comet Love thread… this is a thread all about this fantastic disc. There is much more information in there then I can fit into one post (even though I gave it my best shot LOL)

Last edited:
Comets are awesome.

I wish I would have spent more time with Cyclones when I was starting out.

All the ESP FLX discs (especially the Avenger) I've ever thrown were way more overstable than the same mold in any other plastic.

Stalkers are awesome... A premium plastic straight Teebird-esque flight for people who don't have quite the arm to keep a Champ Teebird from being dumpy.

The Ledgestone TI FLX Buzzzes look, feel, and fly amazing.

...That's about everything I have to say about Discraft.

It would be hard to play my game without a Comet and a Zone.
Not enough talk in here about the Zone.
Zone.

Best OS utility disc in the game? Zone.

A z some will always be in my bag no doubt.

How is the buzzz os? I've been looking at them here and there. It felt good in the hand. Longer zone? Help enable me!

Zones and Comets all day for me. I don't currently bag the Comet, but it really is the most rewarding disc to throw well. Polecats (and Rattlers since we're in a Discraft thread...) are another in that category. I have been threatening to put an old favorite back in the bag, and this may push me to actually do that.

Zones felt like they'd been in my bag for years from the first throw. Inside 225' and not putting, I'm throwing a Zone 99% of the time. A lot of rounds I'll throw it more than my putter. They are faster putters with overall stability so high that you can put everything you have on them, and they will just fly straighter for longer and still fade. I think it's why people argue that they should be classified as mids. They took over the spot in my bag previously held by Drones (fantastic mid) coincidentally.

Their lineup doesn't stop being great there though. Wasps, Meteors, Predators, 150 Flicks, Surges, Cyclones! The list goes on and on.

My bag is everything discraft/dga except wizards. I agree with the OP, discraft/dga has everything you need. I just cant seem to kick the wizards out my bag. The plastics are so great. I thought the steady was going to be the answer but the base plastic is horrible imo. After one use it has chunks missing, and thats just using it for putting. I just got a tracker for fairway duties and hope it works out, i been missing a disc in this spot. Cranks are almost the perfect driver and my hurricanes handle everything else. Preds are amazing. The buzzz is the best all - round disc in the sport. Breakers have grown on me. I dont see myself ever going to any other company, they have basically everything i need. I may have to try a focus and see if it can kick out the wizards but i dont think it will. The challenger failed,steady failed.

I may have to try a focus and see if it can kick out the wizards but i dont think it will. The challenger failed,steady failed.
Although the Focus and Wizard have similar profiles they are very different discs. The Focus is significantly more under stable. The Nate Doss Challengers are the closest Discraft disc to the Wizard flight.

Been rocking the 100% DGA bag all month. With Torrents and Hurricanes all over the place in terms of stability and plastic I have a lot to chose from. My stack of First Flight Canes should last the rest of my life.

What's missing is a slower neutral fairway. The Undertow is just too fast. Fun to throw though. Add a super OS putter like the Zone and I'd be all set.*

I can't believe there aren't more Aftershock throwers. It's the mid I keep coming back to.

*If no one's looking I sneak in a Zone and an XS.

A z some will always be in my bag no doubt.

How is the buzzz os? I've been looking at them here and there. It felt good in the hand. Longer zone? Help enable me!

It feels like a flat top, faster Zone...but it's more like a wasp in stability haha. The Drone is a faster Zone for sure.

Comparing a new Z Wasp to a new Buzzz OS: the Buzzz OS is beefier.