• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Criticize me

Epiphil

So ive never been to a tournament and hope to before the year is up
and ive always wondered what a pro or someone with more experience would be able to tell me about my drive, form and what not...

Here is a clip of me taken with a high speed camera 210 fps

http://www.discgolfvids.com/videos/159/the-x-step.....step-by-step

Ive watched pros and seen some dvds so i just kinda take from that

Long stretch and large twist with a good snap seems to be the majority of a drive...

But i would love any and all criticism

Currently id say i can drive anywhere from 360-380 feet consistantly..

my goal is 400 but maybe rarely can hit that on a small downhill open drive..

I think i should do some pullups and pushups or something...

Good weight forward, clean footwork. There are only two things that I can see that might be hindering distance.

-reachback
-hit

Your reachback is shorter than it can be. Try basically turning yourself all the way around, at the very end of your reachback your elbow is still bent. Get it straight and in line with your target.

The hit, if you don't know what it is, watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
At one point in the video he talks about people releasing early, which is what it looks like you are doing. You want to extend that out to get the most distance.

Thats actually a lot of help and I have been told ive released early before. that video is pretty cool and crazy how fast his arm snaps that disc..

I appreciate this definitely, I do need more reach and with a straighter arm it seems. I am so eager to go out to the course now

Thanks again

Slow down your x-step a lot, and shorten the steps. You don't need to go fast until the end, that's the only point where speed helps.

When you land on your right foot on the final step, look how far back the rest of your body is. That makes getting your weight forward extremely difficult, and you can see that as you come up to the release point.

It looks like you could rotate your body a bit more as you come up to the throw, and turn your hips a little later too. Late in your throw as you're coming towards the release it looks like you're all upper body, and the lower half of your body isn't contributing as much as you could.

Looks like you're getting good speed on the rip. Tweak your body positioning and you should hit 400'. If I were you I'd maybe try some drives from a standstill, just lift up your lead foot, turn the hips and shoulders, then blast the disc out as you drop your foot down. Just focus on turning your body more and getting the hips and shoulders into it, then go back and slow down your steps.

Slow down your x-step a lot, and shorten the steps. You don't need to go fast until the end, that's the only point where speed helps.

When you land on your right foot on the final step, look how far back the rest of your body is. That makes getting your weight forward extremely difficult, and you can see that as you come up to the release point.

It looks like you could rotate your body a bit more as you come up to the throw, and turn your hips a little later too. Late in your throw as you're coming towards the release it looks like you're all upper body, and the lower half of your body isn't contributing as much as you could.

Looks like you're getting good speed on the rip. Tweak your body positioning and you should hit 400'. If I were you I'd maybe try some drives from a standstill, just lift up your lead foot, turn the hips and shoulders, then blast the disc out as you drop your foot down. Just focus on turning your body more and getting the hips and shoulders into it, then go back and slow down your steps.

:hfive:

That's actually some of the stuff I'm trying to work on now as well. Especially slowing down my runup and accelerating. Coming from a forehand background makes me want to just power it through too much :(

This is some amazing stuff to me! really!

I really appreciate it Mike C. After waching some more driving videos i can see what you mean. ive felt like ive had great turn and great reach but i need more. I completely understand what you mean by my lower half not doing as much, slowing down that x step and working solely on technique. Next time im out im going to the field and practicing. This is a great help and ive always played for fun with a little competition between friends but im very very intereseted in making discing more than just a hobby. after 5 and half years of discing i feel im ready to see where i stand. Ive been tracking SSA's on my course and really trying hard to hit the hardest SSA of 50 at Grand woods in grand ledge, MI
I figure if i can hit 400' + on a drive i can narrow down those 60' putts to 30 or less!!!

I am fairly new to the site so to see so much feedback so soon really has an impact on me. there is so much inspiration on this site and everyone is so friendly and available for any answers! Thanks again guys