• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form, please.

I will say that you're looking WAY better than before.

Your non-throwing arm can do more to help you. Watch how specifically paul, pulls it back through the core to add something to the un-corking of his reach-back.

I could be wrong, but I see in that first video - you were sorta "feeling out" how to get that momentum without the arm? I was doing that alot while I was learning that bracing against the plant foot in the last few weeks.

Just stand somewhere without a disc - working on transferring all your weight from back to front, back to front without losing your balance. Bracing hard against that front leg is the key, and keeping your plant foot 90 degrees from your throwing line (you're still a bit open).

I've tried using my off arm to add some momentum; no success with that so far. It always throws my upper body into an extreme hyzer position.

LHBH and RHFH, I don't really have to think about my lower body (it's the same as baseball and golf). I was feeling out getting my elbow forward and finding the start of the pull (trying to figure out when the disc should be at max reachback, compared to the lower body).

My bracing problems are on the other side. RHBH and LHFH.

I've been working to close myself off more too. I think it will strengthen my hit if I can close 10* or so.

I've tried using my off arm to add some momentum; no success with that so far. It always throws my upper body into an extreme hyzer position.

Hyzer should be coming from leaning forward at the waist, so not exactly sure why that arm would be pulling you over. Could be that you were moving the disc to avoid hitting that arm?

Maybe just try getting your non-throwing hand over your back thigh as you're driving that elbow now that you're getting a wider reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kU7cwgnLA#t=120

(2 min in for a good view) It's a good thing to get this fixed early, it only gets harder to fix down the line.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't notice how far my right arm was away from my body at release. I can't get youtube to work, but I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. It's also possible that I'm doing that intentionally, although subconsciously, to keep my rotation slow to match my arm speed.

I think maybe, in the past, that arm has dropped my rear shoulder to make the hyzer position.

LHBH, you plant open and have almost zero shoulder turn. The off arm needs to move your weight into a braced front side to initiate the swing. You start turning the shoulder before your weight is more forward.

RHFH, you have very little reachback.

Spinning out both feet. You have this screwing motion with the front foot as it plants, it should stride forward like Griffey below and keep your front knee behind the foot. You need to resist the front leg/foot turning to hit against it.

Your rear heel spins backward as it's first move, instead of leading the toes forward like Greg Norman. You will also notice Griffey's rear heel doesn't spin backward, it's moving forward during the swing. You also look a bit too upright, should have some more squatting in there to really generate power like in the using ground correctly vid a few posts ago.

Vacationed for the weekend, so I haven't been doing much. My intention is to close my rear foot (toes pointed more target-ward). Does that sound right?

I putted for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'll have to completely rework my putting stroke to be braced. But that's what I should do, right? (Not a big deal. I suck at putting, and completely reworked it a couple of weeks ago.)

I'm sure I'd be more athletically positioned less upright, but I adopted an extreme upright position to allow myself to break. So that will be a long-lasting work in progress. I definitely feel the squat and explode, though. It's one of the things that trying to feel it helps me brace. The other thing is starting my hips earlier.

Should I actively try to reach back further on LHBH and RHFH? Thinking about it, it seems like that will come naturally with repetition and increasing effort/distance.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure what you are talking about in the 3rd part. I'd say your FH is maxed unless you reachback further, or throw harder. LHBH is definitely needing to turn further back or staying back with the shoulder/disc longer.

Should I start wearing cleats? I'm trying like hell to not spin out, but my shoe slips near the ball of my foot every time. I'm thinking some digging in might force the issue?

Cleats should not be necessary. Roll your foot inward and push off the arch side/instep.

Still reverse pivoting. Your spine is tilted the wrong direction when you plant. Need to turn your front hip/leg/foot back at the plant, so toes land first then heel and your weight moves into the front leg from behind you. Also you use your arm to bring the disc inward instead of your weight transfer, so it's swinging early.

So I'm not bracing? I have a really hard time figuring out if you're telling me I'm doing something better or worse, or the same. Right now, I think you're saying that everything I've been doing the past couple months is exactly wrong. I know I messed up my pull. But I can come back and fix that if I can figure out what to do with my body.

I feel my big toe land first. Is my little toe supposed to land before the heel side of the instep?

Not correctly, the heel needs to plant moving forward so you can brace your lower spine(whole spine/weight) from behind you. The right pic is toe strike, you are way too upright and tilted toward the target and have no load into the rear hip. Your shoulder is already way ahead and your front knee/leg is open.

Left pic is heel strike, you are way ahead of the erin because you have planted so open that your front heel actually moves away from the target to land on the ground. Your elbow is also way low, you should either have the elbow up toward the shoulder or have your spine tilted toward your toes so your shoulder is lower.

From "reachback"(the plant) to the finish Erin's swing is like 2 feet longer.

Your backswing is tipped back instead of loading into the rear hip. Keep some flex in the rear knee/hip and turn/move the rear hip forward in your backswing as your arm moves backward. Your knee is straight and the hip stays in place which is why your rear hip is much higher than the front hip during the your throw, so the rotation is not on a plane/axis. You end up either reverse pivoting/falling back away from the target, or you get too far over your hips and fall over forward.

Watch how my rear hip moves forward during the backswing and you can see the hip and knee are flexed and loaded. So I'm striding everything forward in balance as the arm moves back as a counteraction, where you are tipping everything back and forth more together.

OSWmYff.gif

I paused it right at the last frame where your hand stayed on the outside. You can guide the disc much further to the right pec.

Currently you're opening at the left pec.

This is what I shared with a guy who emailed me, who is opening at the same spot:

... the elbow is not out front. I liken it to trying to swing that disc like a hammer, to drive a nail into a board that's a full 3' out in front of your shoulder. You have to extend your arm forward more to get out there, where the hammering action is going to take place.

To extend your arm forward more, you have drive your elbow forward more.

When you're extending the elbow forward, you have to focus on keeping the hand on the outside.

I 100% agree with what Dan Beto says in his video, that going out front with the arm - adds 60-100' to most people's drives. The disc will eject out there with more force.

Dude, I can tell from your snappiness and your work habits, that when you get these final adjustments dialed in - you're going to be bombing some huge shots (if you're not already).

Latest posts