• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form, please.

There's a little bit of commentary, but if you can't hear the first 4 forehands from the rear view are terrible (first ones of the day). The first lhbh is also bad; I'm still having trouble figuring out what line I'm going to release on.

Looks a little better. I think the Hershiser drill will help you lead more with the hips. You lean a little bit too far toward the target with the upper body so your posture is collapsing as you plant and so you can't really whip your front shoulder toward the target and have it stop and release the rest of arm. You should always feel pretty upright(athletic) with the spine like you can support 1,000lbs over your shoulders from start to finish.

Will the hershiser drill help with my hips sliding left? And could you expound on that a bit? I'm not exactly sure where "left" is.

That's going to help a ton. I don't know how hard it's going to be to fix, but I knew I should be reversing my upper body and I didn't think it was happening.
Clarifying that I was talking about in a perpetual motion drill like in that vid toward the end where he's talking about the washing machine with all the weight on one side. Not sure I'd say you should be reversing the upper body, you shouldn't have to if you stay more centered and balanced between your feet dynamically. There should be a little twirl in your weight/spine shift from the ground so your weight/spine torques in the arm/disc plane. Everything should have an equal and opposite. The left side of the upper body should be countering the action of the right side. In the backswing the right arm/disc moving away from the target is a counter balance to the right leg moving forward to the plant, and also the left shoulder blade moving targetward. Your dynamic balance/center of the spine during the x-step doesn't have to change if you do that, or change much.

Will the hershiser drill help with my hips sliding left? And could you expound on that a bit? I'm not exactly sure where "left" is.
Yes, because it teaches you to leverage/clear your rear hip targetward into the plant. I assume you are referring to earlier post about hips sliding left, in which left is referring to the left side of the tee.

Keep your throwing shoulder low FH and chase the throwing line with the front of your throwing shoulder over your front foot, and your palm and arm should chase the line as well. Your elbow is leading your shoulder the entire throw, so the shoulder/body isn't doing much. Let your elbow get back to parallel with the shoulders and let the body start the lower arm/disc whip.

Your footwork is much better LHBH (and RHFH), but you majorly hug yourself and get no arm extension or reachback. Need to turn those hips and shoulder way back at the plant. You get your throwing shoulder and spine to post better against the front leg which is part of what your RHBH lacks.

Couldn't see much in the 2nd vid. Your hips don't slide/sway as much in what you changed which is better. You still don't have much sequencing/spearation of the body turn hips vs shoulders and releasing the arm. Your LHBH reachback width is now better than your RHBH, but you don't get your hips/shoulders turned back very far LH or RH. RHFH looked decent.

Watch the sequencing and positioning of everything, the hip starts the backswing and the upper body turning back and the arm just follows back, look at how far he turns his shoulders while the arm is straight in line to the target and front foot more backwards with the heel up. Then hips initiate the forward swing as the upper body turns, then the arm whips. Notice his shoulders are almost parallel when he whips the arm. Your shoulders are open.

Am I hugging myself rhbh?

Should it feel like I'm pushing my right hip to the target (rhbh)? That's a feeling that's improved my putting a lot this week.

It was real late when I started filming. Had to help a dude fix a flat tire. I was hoping my camera was good enough it wouldn't matter.

What am I looking for in the hershiser drill? AKA, how will I know if I'm doing it wrong? Should I just film it?

It's a little huggy. The hershiser drill you want to hit the wall with your butt first not the knee or shoulder, and feel the leverage from the rear foot pushing the hip against the wall. You should be able hold that position forever comfortably.

It's a little huggy. The hershiser drill you want to hit the wall with your butt first not the knee or shoulder, and feel the leverage from the rear foot pushing the hip against the wall. You should be able hold that position forever comfortably.

Side or rear of the butt? Should it feel like I would fall over if the wall wasn't there? When you say "forever" that makes it sound like I shouldn't be actively pushing with my rear foot after I hit the wall; is that right? Because the way I've been doing it, my rear quad/calf tire out.

Side or rear of the butt? Should it feel like I would fall over if the wall wasn't there? When you say "forever" that makes it sound like I shouldn't be actively pushing with my rear foot after I hit the wall; is that right? Because the way I've been doing it, my rear quad/calf tire out.
More cheek than side of the hip. Like you would fall down on your butt, not over. It's more of a fall than a push, let gravity do the work. The harder you push the harder the wall pushes back. You just want to maintain leverage/bracing to not get pushed back.

Trying a more Swedish style(vertical shoulders) might help you with the shoulder rotation.
This should help as well:

Something I've never understood is how to throw anything but a hyzer with the swedish style vertical shoulders. I see them do it, I just don't understand how it happens. Or when it happens, maybe.

When I started using more swede style I had a huge jump in disc speed, which makes discs less stable and turnovers became more useful than anhyzers. All you need to do is change your balance/spine for anhyzer though.

Lead with the lower spine more athletically keeping your weight on the insteps of your feet, you stop the lower spine and tip your upper spine over the top instead of bringing the left side through under the rotation. Note the difference in the length of the swing and where the pull line is, your backswing is moving the disc around instead of staying back on the disc back and not pulling/swinging through the center of your gravity and/or your center of gravity is changing. The hit pic shows the difference in lever extension and power position. The last red line of the arm should be closer to the first purple line for better extension and leverage through the hit, yours shows early release. The finish position shows your lower spine and left side not coming through the shot.
danevsmj_zps587c62e2.jpg

Sorry for the incredibly lengthy vid. There's rear and side angels (rear early, then side).

It looks to me like I'm not bracing quite enough still, and I my upper body is leaning forward. Is that right?

Also, immediately after I reach max reachback, it seems like the disc moves towards my body. Is that something I should be concerned with?

Still a reverse pivot. Look at the first and second frame pic above. Your spine is leaning forward on the wrong leg or axis with the rear knee extended instead of loaded/squated. Your weight needs to stay back and loaded.