• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My form is kinda broken. Need help putting the pieces back together.

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Despite knowing much more about mechanics than I did one year ago, my play is genuinely worse. Don't like it. Not a fan of that path. Need some advice. The season is young.

Here's a BH from my first tourney of the year today. This was a 250ft +15 elevation hole. I actually hit this one okay for how broken my form feels, went about 25 long, missed the comebacker. Had mad inconsistency off the tee with my form and timing all day.

Need a roasting. Advice too. A quick fix for tomorrow's round would be a rad bonus. Genuinely thinking about going standstill only haha.

Normal speed: https://youtu.be/jkhFEqDqsmE

0.2x speed: https://youtu.be/zZtlbAcllrw

1. Posture. Your spine remains extended the entire runup and throw(also anterior pelvic tilt/sticking butt out). Note how Eagle's spine/arm is relaxed and flexed/lagged/pulled back taut like bow and arrow going into the plant.

2. Sequence. You start turning back too early, and start swinging forward too early before you plant. Note how Eagle's shoulders keep turning/pulling/loading/coiling further back later going into the plant and his arm/disc is pulled/loaded back behind the rest of the body taut like door frame/bow arrow drill.

3. This should feel very different.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 1.21.54 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 1.21.54 AM copy.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 82
Advice: when I'm in the middle of working on form mechanics (which is constantly) but still want a competitive score, I throw more standstills unless I'm in wide open terrain with a big margin for error.

1. Posture. Your spine remains extended the entire runup and throw(also anterior pelvic tilt/sticking butt out). Note how Eagle's spine/arm is relaxed and flexed/lagged/pulled back taut like bow and arrow going into the plant.

2. Sequence. You start turning back too early, and start swinging forward too early before you plant. Note how Eagle's shoulders keep turning/pulling/loading/coiling further back later going into the plant and his arm/disc is pulled/loaded back behind the rest of the body taut like door frame/bow arrow drill.

3. This should feel very different.

attachment.php

Pretty sure I'm already beginning to reaccess some of my lost feel. Your anterior/posterior flexion observation was earth shattering. I'm not sure how I sunk into that anterior flex motion. It's insane what I've been realizing. I actually just for the first time watched some old video of myself and it's shocking how much better my form was a year ago (https://youtu.be/nOAyE_aDzAg). Wasn't great by any means, as I was spinning out of leverage like mad but I'm noticing exactly why I've lost any semblance of consistency or power when comparing my old form to my recent slump. I seemed to actually be doing some things right back then. I was actually whipping the disc. Anyhow, I'm starting back at the basics and strive to do this right this time by actually looking at, analyzing, and sharing my videos while making changes one step at a time. How's my living room dancing tonight look?

https://youtu.be/FzxhX9VDk4g

Last edited:
Also I think I'm noticing some magic behind this "hold the disc in my rear hand and upper cut it to pointing forward in my follow-through" thing I randomly started doing tonight while watching hockey and shown in my living room dance.

Let's go Krak!!

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Sidewinder or Brychanus, but I don't think your form is significantly different than a year ago. You just look less comfortable now.

https://imgur.com/a/uup5HGh

I wouldn't worry about reintroducing anything from your previous form or trying to remember how you used to do something. They'll steer you into a good direction.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Sidewinder or Brychanus, but I don't think your form is significantly different than a year ago. You just look less comfortable now.

https://imgur.com/a/uup5HGh

I wouldn't worry about reintroducing anything from your previous form or trying to remember how you used to do something. They'll steer you into a good direction.

Your eyes do not deceive you! It's so true. I look and feel worse than I did a year ago. I showed the old video not really to be analyzed but to just show my backwards progress haha. It's fascinating and super enlightening. I know the old form isn't great either but I feel like I was a lot closer to decent form back then. My declining accuracy, distance, consistency, and slip from 925 rounds to 850 rounds makes total sense now. Can't believe it took me this long to look at old video. I finally got over the self-conscious hump of watching myself and giving myself up to the higher powers of DGCR and Disc Golf Form Check.

Edit: oh, you said it did NOT look significantly different. Well that changes everything but I can't edit this in time haha. I think there's some clear differences but yeah, your screenshot definitely found some similarities.

Last edited:
Edit: oh, you said it did NOT look significantly different. Well that changes everything but I can't edit this in time haha. I think there's some clear differences but yeah, your screenshot definitely found some similarities.

To my eye they do look similar but there is some important differences I think.

It looks like you're much more behind your brace in the old form and really leaning forward over it in the new form (could just be camera angle, hard to tell for sure).

Second thing is your off arm is more tucked in with the old form.

Yeah, I see similar issues from before.

In your recent dancing video, your spine is very extended and your shoulder barely swings back/forth(torso coil) compared to your rear foot movement. So it's basically you are just swinging your arm and jumping off the ground. You want a little foot movement/shift to move your shoulder/torso a lot more.

Note how relaxed my stance/posture is in Reciprocating Dingle Arm. My front foot is turned open because I'm not trying to swing hard(or pivot the foot) and it allows my front hip to clear. My rear heel goes down to the ground for stability and control. You seem to remain too on your toes and out of control. The swing should pull the feet off the ground if you swing hard enough.

You are also swinging/releasing downward/nose up, instead of swinging/releasing upward nose down.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137985

The swing should pull the feet off the ground if you swing hard enough.

These were really important to connect for me. What do an 85mph smash and a beverage-wielding flip flop basement man have in common? Let's find out:

plant.gif

Eme1q4s.gif

I agree w/ DWhitt and in general with the benefit of being willing to "let go" of your old form. Just treat it like a brand new skill and it'll go easier. Not easy, but easier. Even mid-development I've been willing to completely scrap things for the sake of progress. Sometimes they come back in later and become more effective.

Yeah, I see similar issues from before.

In your recent dancing video, your spine is very extended and your shoulder barely swings back/forth(torso coil) compared to your rear foot movement. So it's basically you are just swinging your arm and jumping off the ground. You want a little foot movement/shift to move your shoulder/torso a lot more.

Note how relaxed my stance/posture is in Reciprocating Dingle Arm. My front foot is turned open because I'm not trying to swing hard(or pivot the foot) and it allows my front hip to clear. My rear heel goes down to the ground for stability and control. You seem to remain too on your toes and out of control. The swing should pull the feet off the ground if you swing hard enough.

You are also swinging/releasing downward/nose up, instead of swinging/releasing upward nose down.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137985

These were really important to connect for me. What do an 85mph smash and a beverage-wielding flip flop basement man have in common? Let's find out:

plant.gif

Eme1q4s.gif

I agree w/ DWhitt and in general with the benefit of being willing to "let go" of your old form. Just treat it like a brand new skill and it'll go easier. Not easy, but easier. Even mid-development I've been willing to completely scrap things for the sake of progress. Sometimes they come back in later and become more effective.

Alright fellas. Don't get a hard on over my shirtless body (had to watch my hips!) but I think I had a semi breakthrough. I THINK I finally figured out "The Move". No, there's no disc in hand, but I I'm feeling my hips move in ways I've never felt before. From everything I know, and that's not saying a ton, this shadow rep resembles decent form. Am I on the right path?

https://youtu.be/D0c2JWZ0acU

You're getting your body stuck between your legs and abruptly pivoting after forcing the brace. Essentially squishing the bug. Instead, you need to shift your weight and mAss to brace. Everything is more relaxed in The Move.

Watch seabas22 butt wipe. His body shifts toward the target and ends stacked more vertically relative to the ground after his ass leads the movement toward the target.

Your brace leg should not be anywhere near that tilted relative to the ground unless you're bringing a bit shift with a lot of momentum. Body should always be stacked in it like walking, running, skiing, etc. Improves throws, prevents injuries.

You're getting your body stuck between your legs and abruptly pivoting after forcing the brace. Essentially squishing the bug. Instead, you need to shift your weight and mAss to brace. Everything is more relaxed in The Move.

Watch seabas22 butt wipe. His body shifts toward the target and ends stacked more vertically relative to the ground after his ass leads the movement toward the target.

Your brace leg should not be anywhere near that tilted relative to the ground unless you're bringing a bit shift with a lot of momentum. Body should always be stacked in it like walking, running, skiing, etc. Improves throws, prevents injuries.

Totally see where you are coming from. I've been getting some coaching that has really stressed getting "behind" my brace rather than "over" my brace, so I'm really trying to stress the horizontal component with pressure in my plant instep as I drill. Try and pretend like I'm coming into this rep with some forward momentum because that's kinda what I'm working on. I suppose this isn't a true full "standstill" shadow rep. I'm mostly trying to get the bracing and hip motion/timing/rotation about the proper axis. Attached a pic of my attempt at that axis fwiw.

I totally see the squish the bug thing now that you mention it. Does look a little too forced. However I can almost guarantee that 95% of my weight is in my plant foot when that's occurring. I know it should be 100%. That lack of full weight shift also could be a function of me really trying not to leak over or through my brace and I've gone a little too far with it, just like the overly tilted plant leg you mentioned as well. I'll try and dial it back! I mean, uhhh, forward?

Thanks for the feedback as always!

Attachments

• 20230505_114411.jpg
    20230505_114411.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2
Yep, it's possible to get either too far behind or ahead of the plant leg. Trouble is you need a lot of things to work well together when stacking. It also needs to function with a continuous flow of pressure through the feet. But you're leaving most of where the pro-level swing power comes from on the table and I want to save you from one of the most common misconceptions of hip mechanics and weight shifting.

Let me reframe: your motion is emphasizing too much rotation and not enough lateral shift. This is the move you want:
https://youtu.be/GxnhM5amro0?t=94

Compare your posture when you land in a small weight shift to SW's. His is a patient & relaxed, but athletic & powerful move. Notice his mass stacked powerfully on the plant leg, his ass leading the swing, and his front hip and side and shoulder all still closed. That's a lot of where big boy or girl power comes from. In his DG throw, his brace leg will change its orientation with more momentum coming in consistent with the rest of his body (braced tilt). Your plant leg is being forced into an extreme slant despite a tiny weight shift.

oruoalR.png

If you threw like this or tried to swing a hammer like that, you'd be doing what I'm talking about here (watch from 6:08 to 6:58).
https://youtu.be/R_ZJxZUZkLI?t=368

Shirtless or not, SW or I would much rather fight you swinging a hammer at us like you are in your drill move there than how we would swing a hammer at you like I talk about there (with a lot of love, of course). You'd be much more likely to miss us with your swing entirely, and you wouldn't hit us as hard or take a hit as hard.

In mechanical terms, by rotating, you're forcing your front size open early off the drive leg rather than dropping in more laterally off the rear leg. Let the landing and action of your leg against the ground be what moves your front hip and causes body rotation - never force rotation through the hips.

Plenty of people make or teach this mistake. I needed a lot of help to learn my way out of it too.

Last edited: