• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

We saw a brownish colored snake by the water at Fritz. And you know what that means. Brownish snake by water = water moccasin. Yep. Positively every time.

Or not. :p

Ok so I didn't have my camera today, of course. On our way to a friends private course we had a mountain lion run across the road and I guess last night he had a bear bust into his car and eat the chocolate cake he had put in there 10 minutes prior.

Was at Idlewild yesterday. On the long pad at 14 there was a deer about 40 feet up the fairway. She didn't notice me so I sat there for about five minutes taking a break, watching her. Eventually I threw pretty much over her and she still didn't notice me or the disc. I walked to within about 20 feet of her before she stopped eating, starred at me, and then took off.

A few weeks ago at my local course there was a deer standing right behind the basket of hole seven....Almost hit it on a 20ft putt!!!

My wife and I walked among a group of about a dozen wild turkeys this past weekend at Blendon Woods (Columbus, OH) near basket #8. I couldn't help but think about all the guys that spend countless hours and who knows how much money just trying to get close enough to shoot one. I could have taken out a few with a well placed skip shot!

Kingery1068601 said:
I'm not even sure there are many dangerous snakes in NC...

6 kinds, three rattlesnakes, cottonmouth, copperhead and coral snake.

6 kinds, three rattlesnakes, cottonmouth, copperhead and coral snake.

I lived in the Triad for a year and always was on the lookout for snakes at Cedarock/Wellspring. Ended up seeing a few Copperheads. Well worth the risk of that beautiful park.:thmbup: NC is not only full of dangerous snakes but spiders too. I killed a couple black widows in my house..

Waiting to tee off on hole 11 at Coldbrook Park (SW MI) I watched a squirrel fall about 30 feet off a branch bounce off the ground and go running back up the same tree not five feet from me. I was laughing for the rest of the round.

usually just deer, squirrels, spiders, owls, the occasional hawk, peoples' dogs, chipmunks, garden snakes, and bees. i was attacked by wasps once too while looking for a friends' disc when i stepped on a dirtwasp nest

they chased me

Walking between holes today at Idlewild (Scrapyard in Charlotte) and BigJerm stops to look at a strange looking thing growing on a branch next to some dead leaves. As he moves a leaf to get a closer look it takes a minute but he realizes....

It's a bat! He was just chillin there hanging upside down not really interested in moving much but he was definitely alive. Pics forthcoming.

He was still there during our second round.

As I was scoping out new holes at JP Moseley in Stockbridge GA, I startled a wild turkey midway of what was to become hole#14. I never knew that turkeys could fly so well! Bonus: 6-8 eggs from where the turkey layed.

During a mini at lake nacogdoches dgc about a month or so ago I saw a coral snake, definitely one of the cooler critters I've seen