• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cubby on PDGA.com

This guys been doing it a long time, have you seen some of his ace discs??? Alot of CE firebirds . And he retires every ace disc.

A bad shot is one that hits the basket or chains. Not trees, not water but the metal part of the target we all throw towards.

Those are bad shots! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've never understood that logic either. The one real ace I have was a beauty putter throw that, had it missed, would have been about a 5-10' putt. I'll take that every time, tyvm.

I don't think anybody cares, until it shows up on the PDGA front page.

Then why is this the first time he's been on PDGA for his aces but this isn't the first thread about his aces?

Then why is this the first time he's been on PDGA for his aces but this isn't the first thread about his aces?

First thread I've been a part of regarding his "aces"...so I'll defer judgement on that one!! :D

You know whats really pathetic

Berating a guy who is having fun who has done more for the disc golf by being positive and taking the time to film some cool shots as well as video tours of courses and broadcast for dgmonthly

the guy enjoys disc golf and is actually one of the nicest and friendliest guys you will ever encounter

Id rather play a round with Cubby than any of yous guys trashing him online

Agreed. I got to hang out with Cubby a couple of times at Rutgers in 2012 and he is a great guy with a great attitude.

Seems like we simply need another snappy term other than "Ace" to describe when a disc is thrown into the basket from beyond putting range and it's not during competition. Bangs? Bangers? Holers? Ringers?

Good point. If the term "ace" can't be used, what do you call throwing a disc in the basket from the tee?

If I've thrown an ace on a particular hole while practicing, and later someone asks if I've aced the hole, I find myself saying "Yes, but only when practicing."

So my suggestion is "But Ace."

i like his non-ace videos. they show his shots all over a course. but his ace videos are filmed completely different and its obvious why.

Seems like we simply need another snappy term other than "Ace" to describe when a disc is thrown into the basket from beyond putting range and it's not during competition. Bangs? Bangers? Holers? Ringers?

all due respect, ck, but there is already a term for these….they're called "Cubby aces"

I had never taken the time to watch any of his videos before this thread…2 mins of watching a sweaty guy walk back and forth just to see 15secs of discs coming from who knows where and him declaring an ace on what was clearly a second shot…meh, y'all must've been real desperate for internet videos back then.

good on him.

Last edited:
I get the Cubby Ace. But I'm talking about a term for a throw not during competition from any position on the fairway including the tee that goes in the target (not close enough to be a putt). Cubby Aces would be a subset of this type of throw. "Fairway Ace" is used for shots beyond putting range that go in that are not thrown from the tee. So maybe "Ace", "Cubby Ace" and "Fairway Ace" sufficiently cover all hole-outs that are not putts.

I get the Cubby Ace. But I'm talking about a term for a throw not during competition from any position on the fairway including the tee that goes in the target (not close enough to be a putt). Cubby Aces would be a subset of this type of throw. "Fairway Ace" is used for shots beyond putting range that go in that are not thrown from the tee. So maybe "Ace", "Cubby Ace" and "Fairway Ace" sufficiently cover all hole-outs that are not putts.

How about "Nice Shot"?

The fact that people bicker over something as trival as what constitutes an Ace and what doesn't cracks me up.

The fact that people bicker over something as trival as what constitutes an Ace and what doesn't cracks me up.

yes and no

communication between two people is hard enough when you both think you are on the same page

when you find out that you aren't even reading from the same book then communication becomes darn near impossible

in disc golf people liberally use words in ways that perhaps they don't really mean or in ways that cause others to try and extract meaning and thus lead to confusion (i'm looking at you stable, more stable, ace, par, etc)

all due respect, ck, but there is already a term for these….they're called "Cubby aces"

I had never taken the time to watch any of his videos before this thread…2 mins of watching a sweaty guy walk back and forth just to see 15secs of discs coming from who knows where and him declaring an ace on what was clearly a second shot…meh, y'all must've been real desperate for internet videos back then.

good on him.

I think a more descriptive word that tells you that it wasn't the first shot from the tee. The word or name "cubby" doesn't tell you anything about why this isn't a normal or legit ace. One of us will think of a more descriptive name for them eventually. :|

Im sure he's a great guy. I just don't agree with the pdga acting like they are all legit aces, and cubby glorifing on his vids like they are first throws. Im gonna throw drives on every hole at a course until I birdie, then tell everyone that I shot a perfect round.

Maybe that's a future story for the first player who has cumulatively played the perfect round on 100 courses having birdied every hole at least once.

Does he find courses that no one is playing or does he just have to let people play through all the time? I'd be annoyed if I lived around him and had to always play through on the short holes while he was filming and had a bag of discs all laying around the basket. I understand doing that once in a while but if that's all you do is hang out on the short hyzer holes and try to stick drivers in the chains so you can retire that disc and make a vid I'm going to get a little sick of seeing you on the course lol. Maybe I'm just a jerk.

Disc Golf: The Story of the Aspiring-Sport that Never Got Anyone Laid, Because its Players were too Concerned About Legitimate Round Scores and Wait Times During Filming of Promotional Media

written by a touring connoisuer of free park amenities dressed in athletic apparel

I love how the picture for the article is him standing at hole #9 at Rutgers, which is a whopping 57 ft. lol:

cba13036.jpg

In the years of me playing there, I have seen this hole aced more times then I can remember.

Seriously though, look at the hole lengths for Rutgers, which is the course he plays all the time: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=557&mode=hi#

It's possible that he could have 500 legitimate aces playing this place all the time.