• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Cycling Distance drivers for 9/10 speed

I have cycled Predators, Avengers, PDs and OLFs. They all work great. I guess my favorite would be OLFs. I like discs that have a little turn in thier flight. If I don't want the turn, I release with a little more hyzer. I am a XL thrower too. The X XLs cycle great.

I'd probably go with DX Firebirds for simplicity's sake. You can really cover a bunch of ranges with them. Not as long as PDs for example but you wouldn't lose much since DX plastic just goes for some reason.

Volt and tesla are my go to 9 and 10 speeds.

Fission Proton Plasma Neutron.. Domey vs flat and seasoned etc. Too nice really.

PDs will work better if you are a Teebird kind of player. OLFs will work better if you are an Eagle type of player. Thunderbirds will work better if you are a sheep.

Never heard of the Sheep before.

Is that a new Trilogy or Axiom release?

it's tough to truly cycle speed 9/10 using just one plastic.

the SPD takes too long to season unless you play a lot, and the PPD isn't overstable enough to really bookend. this is a theme that repeats for all speed 9/10. you could start with a premium plastic that's pretty overstable . . . and never get it to be understable. 9/10 are best for pseudo-cycling unless you're tossing a dx firebird or a dx thunderbird and that's not really going to last long if you play courses primarily in the woods.

i'd say the GPD is a good bet. it has roughly the stability of an spd to start with, has some wind fighting capability. the durability, however, is between pro and star. it will wear in to change slots with moderate use over one summer/spring/fall, but not crazy fast.

other than that, an SPD would be a good solution, depending on the SPD you get. i had a patent PD that i worked on for over 2 years and couldn't get it to flip. a newer SPD probably won't be quite so overstable, but be careful because not all SPD are good SPD just like not all GPD are good GPD.

the other top option IMO right now is the OLF. they're in a new run now and waaaaaaaaaaay better than recent history. they seem to be molding up REALLY flat in pro, decently flat in star and champ, and the pro one i've got has the same stability if not a small tick more than its premium plastic counterparts which is EXTREMELY uncommon in basically all disc molds - there's a reason why i also bag ppd2, because they do the same thing - pro glide as it beats, premium plastic stability to start me off. the OLF will handle some wind but they aren't going to replace something like a CPD or predator. pro isn't SUPER durable, but i think it's a fantastic cycling mold for drivers - the best other than gstar, actually.

for low cost, low risk (who cares if you put a pro disc in the drink? buy a new one and hit a few trees!) and real good disc overall, i have to give it to the OLF. the new ones are just too good in every plastic, but you won't hit CPD stability levels. season up some pro, toss in a champ or star and call it a day. that's what i'm doing. you could get away with all pro too for a TRUE cycle.

for a better stability range i'd give it to the PD. you can bookend with a CPD to cover absolutely everything.

Last edited:
i just read that you're not throwing quite as far. i don't know how far that is exactly but in that case, dx thunderbird or gstar pd might do just fine for you. gstar doesn't deform badly unless it's a high speed impact in which case it warps just like pro does, so a gstar PD might take too long for you to cycle effectively if you don't play that often and you're also throwing slower. i would just steer clear of an SPD if your goal is a true cycle.

but that information makes me lean even more toward the standard (pro) new run of OLF. i used to throw dx and i got sour on it for anything faster than a roc.

if you don't care about just keeping one plastic, then the GPD/PPD/SPD and QOLF/SOLF/MOLF all come back into play. so pick your poison, i guess.

Last edited:
Just curious, is there an ideal "platform" disc for cycling distance drivers in the slower speeds or are we left for individual discs for each shot?

PD is the best answer for one mold IMO, but really any 1.9 diameter is pretty much the same "platform"

it's tough to truly cycle speed 9/10 using just one plastic.

the SPD takes too long to season unless you play a lot, and the PPD isn't overstable enough to really bookend. this is a theme that repeats for all speed 9/10. you could start with a premium plastic that's pretty overstable . . . and never get it to be understable. 9/10 are best for pseudo-cycling unless you're tossing a dx firebird or a dx thunderbird and that's not really going to last long if you play courses primarily in the woods.

Totally agree, it's harder to cycle. However, plenty of pros cycle Star Destroyers, but they also play a HELL of a lot more than most of us have time for!

For mold simplification days, I just prefer different weights and plastics. For example, when I want to only carry a few molds, I have a max weight C-PD, max weight S-PD, and 163g S-PD that can cover any range of shot I need for drivers. 400s F5, 750 F5 cover my fairways. Beat up 400s M1 and fresh M1 for my mids, and my usual putters. I can get through any course and while I might not be quite as comfortable as I am with my typical bag, it definitely teaches me to know the disc and make the shot work for me instead of having a "one disc for every shot" mentality. It also can be much easier to have the same feel with the disc for every shot instead of a wide-rimmed shallow driver, a domey driver, a blunt nosed driver, ect. But, as I'm no pro, I usually just carry lots of different discs. ;)

I've always struggled with getting this slot down to one disc. Tried PDs but even worn PPD aren't as understable as I like. Standard noodle arm here (~340'ish with Speed 9s). I've been throwing Valks forever (and love them) and just ended up looking for high PLH Valks (they are out there) that are SPD beefy to pair with more typical Valks. I carry a trashed 5X Valk that is RoadRunner flippy (-4,1), a more standard Sandstrom Star Valk (-2, 2) and a high PLH CFR Star Valk that is SPD stable (0,3) as my cycle.

PD
/thread

Yes. OLFs work too. Basically your speed 9 versions of the teebird and eagle.

Nate Doss has Predators that he cycles for his fairway slots.

Cycling predators isn't a normal thing. If they still made x predators, sure. But wearing in a z predator takes years. ESP will be faster but still not really good for cycling.

Cycling predators isn't a normal thing. If they still made x predators, sure. But wearing in a z predator takes years. ESP will be faster but still not really good for cycling.

Bingo. The X predators really were an amazing disc and I can't believe they are oop. Good thing I have a stack of twelve :)

To get a good cycle the disc needs to start off stable enough and beat out the lss. I actually don't like PDs because I feel they beat out the hss off the bat. My opinion.

Current run firebirds won't work because they don't start stable enough in dx and too beefy in champ.

I would say the answer is Beast or Orc, depending on your max stability need. The new old beast rocks and works great for cycling if you have clean form and not a ton of wind. Orcs are better of you have a touch of OAT.

Discmania PD cycle would work. CD is a nice disc too, not sure how it is in other plastics but the C line is straight and stable
Starfire is a good disc that I have a few of and they do vary from quite OS to flippy.

S-PD does lose hss quicker than lss in my experience, but it works into a mild s turn disc that finishes pretty straight very soon after. P-PD has a little turn out of the box for me, then gets pretty straight, and settles into a really good flip/turnover disc.

Fresh, and worked in S-line, fresh and worked in P-line is what I had, until I lost my perfectly beat S!!

PD is the best answer for one mold IMO, but really any 1.9 diameter is pretty much the same "platform"
Exactly.

I'm inclined to say PD or OLF, but if you're already somewhat invested in Thunderbirds then just throw those (all along thinking, "I really should've gone with PD's instead").

:p

Any Speed 9 or 10 slightly overstable-overstable driver should be a great candidate for cycling.