• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

Curious to see one of these next to the new Ricky Destroyers. They seem to have some significant variance from other runs.

Wonder if Innova had a fresh mold machined for the Destroyer and DM convinced them to use it for the DD3 as well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Relevant -all credit goes to u/doth_savek on reddit
i852nva4cu821.jpg

r7MH3BK.jpg

Last one is Vs Scorpius
ZvYgrTC.jpg

It kind of looks like a destroyer

Wow -- just when you think you've seen the geekiest post of all time someone beats it a mile.

Wow. (note -- I'm not saying it's not appropriate, I'm only saying it's an amazingly geeky post . . . . and look -- there's the pictures again!!)

Looking at it again there is a subtle difference on the nose of the destroyer vs the DD3. It's like of the difference between the firebird and FD3, where the destroyer or firebird is more of a circle end and the DD3 or FD3 is more tapered. I think on the FD3 they said it was a firebird top with a "starfire nose configuration".

A 'straighter' destroyer or one that has a hint of turn is an important disc to have. I'm using either a beat Outlaw or a MAyhem for this slot right now but if I venture out again I'll for sure check out a DD3 as I generally have liked DM stuff

Has anyone compared these to the Kong yet? Are they similar at all? I have yet to throw a DD3, but I have thrown a Kong. Also, is the mold going to change at all for the production run?

A 'straighter' destroyer or one that has a hint of turn is an important disc to have. I'm using either a beat Outlaw or a MAyhem for this slot right now but if I venture out again I'll for sure check out a DD3 as I generally have liked DM stuff

Falcon

Has anyone compared these to the Kong yet? Are they similar at all? I have yet to throw a DD3, but I have thrown a Kong. Also, is the mold going to change at all for the production run?

I got a chance to throw my DD3 back to back with a Kong and the Kong that I threw was noticeably less stable than the DD3. Thrown hard and flat the Kong carried about 15-25' farther right (RHBH) than my DD3 and seemed to have 3/4 the fade the DD3 had. I have heard there is quite a difference between flat/domey Kongs and I cannot recall the profile of the one I threw.

As far as we know the DD3 production run should be the same as the cloudbreaker run but that is just based on the fact we have not heard that they will be different.

I saw the DD3 just got resubmitted and approved by the PDGA. It looks like the rim depth and height were both reduced in the "retest." I'm not sure what this means but I imagine it will feel and fly different than the ones released in the mystery box.

It sounds odd but the disc you're looking for is a champ glow shryke that has a BIG dome. Those are NOT flippy and carry for a mile. I have a glow champ and a color glow champ and both are identical in flight. (I also have flat ones that are VERY flippy in comparison.) FWIW, I thew these as hard as I could and only had about 20' movement to the right (RHBH) and put it pin high and 35' right of a 530' hole in a tourney last weekend. I'm really liking these for my distance drivers right now...

It sounds odd but the disc you're looking for is a champ glow shryke that has a BIG dome. Those are NOT flippy and carry for a mile. I have a glow champ and a color glow champ and both are identical in flight. (I also have flat ones that are VERY flippy in comparison.) FWIW, I thew these as hard as I could and only had about 20' movement to the right (RHBH) and put it pin high and 35' right of a 530' hole in a tourney last weekend. I'm really liking these for my distance drivers right now...

I've thrown many shrykes. The Mayhem to me is the same idea but the flight of the mayhem is way more reliable for me. I have a buddy that's all Shrykes and Im all about Mayhems, ive thrown back to back and they fly really similar. Good disc, but im happy with the mayhem :hfive:

Interesting. Was perusing through the specifications of several DM models and noticed that the Cloudbreaker has a rim depth of 1.2 while the DD3 retest has 1.1

The same difference that f.ex the DDx and CD3 have, and where many people said the DDx feels too shallow. Hope that is not the case here. While 1.2 seems to be more common in their wide rim drivers, its worth noting that the DD2 is also 1.1 and a PD is 1.2 as outliers to that norm.

Personally I didnt have that much trouble with the DDx but the CD3 sure felt deeper. But I no longer bag either anyway.

I saw the DD3 just got resubmitted and approved by the PDGA. It looks like the rim depth and height were both reduced in the "retest." I'm not sure what this means but I imagine it will feel and fly different than the ones released in the mystery box.

It's the exact same mold, just molded up on another day. Tiny variations in the production process can change the geometry of a disc a little bit. Apparently tiny imperfections in the production of the disc they supplied to PDGA caused the max weight to be 174g. This resubmission of approval was just to correct the max weight to 175g. It's the exact same disc produced with the exact same equipment tho.

Or am i mixing up the DD3 and some other disc?!?

May 22nd! The DD3 will be available in s line plastic! First discmania originals stamp. We can all finally rest easy.

I've always thought that the anhyzer top makes discs less stable. If so, what would be the difference between this and the DD2? My money is still on a scorpius/destroyer-clone

It made the Tern more stable in the DDx.

The DD is more stable than the Wraith as well

As far as I'm aware the Anhyzer top makes everything more stable - CD2 is more stable than a valk or whatever that lower wing is, PD is arguably more stable than a thundie (but not a FB), TD vs a roadrunner, etc.

Is there a single case of the Anhyzer top making a lower wing config less stable?

Also these sound pretty cool, way outside my armspeed for BH excepting into the wind, but I'm always looking for some cheater FH distance...

As far as I'm aware the Anhyzer top makes everything more stable - CD2 is more stable than a valk or whatever that lower wing is, PD is arguably more stable than a thundie (but not a FB), TD vs a roadrunner, etc.

Is there a single case of the Anhyzer top making a lower wing config less stable?

Also these sound pretty cool, way outside my armspeed for BH excepting into the wind, but I'm always looking for some cheater FH distance...

Eagle has been BOMBING them forehand. I personally haven't thrown any forehands with them because my PD2s are my go to but I suppose at some point I should probably try it out :doh:

Threw a stock run today. 175g, slightly gummy mild dome. Flies great! Popped up a bit and glided, finished left. Anyone else throwing these?

Threw a stock run today. 175g, slightly gummy mild dome. Flies great! Popped up a bit and glided, finished left. Anyone else throwing these?

Waiting on my box from release day order. I hope they release some lighter weights soon. I prefer lighter bomber discs.

Don't need any wind resistance have plenty of PD2 for that

what are the actual differences between a DD3 & Destroyer?

Latest posts