• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dear Rec Players....Whaddaya want?

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
If Rec Players are paying a lower registration fee at PDGA's than other AM's, example: $50 Advanced vs $30 dollars Rec.

If I give out a player's pack to each Rec player at a retail of $25.

And there's 10 players.

According to the value PDGA suggests we take out of your registration fee for player's packs, 1st place ends up winning $20 in plastic.

Which do you prefer?

Player's Packs
or
Payout

For argument's sake, let's say the player's pack is a Golfer Size Umbrella (Tourney stamped) and a DX tourney stamped disc.

I'd totally want the payout.

Last edited:
Id like a small player pack and get the regular cash payouts also. Players packs don't mean much to me. All the times I've gotten them itsbeen towels, stickers, handwarmers. Things like that I really don't need, they are nice to have. But id rather have the payout and be able to purchase the same things or discs etc.

Yeah i would only charge less for rec women and that would just be to attract them, you don't need to charge less for rec.

I usually do Adv and int at one price and rec at a slight bit less.

If I give out a player's pack to each Rec player at a retail of $25.

If a player pack "retails" at 25, but cost the TD 12 at cost for example, how much goes into the payout?

I say beef up the players pack. Maybe add a coupon for disc of choice that way we're not stuck with plastic we will never throw. It encourages the people that could play int to avoid rec because they know they will pay out.

A players pack with a disc is the best thing. Pick of plastic for the top three.

That scenario keeps out some of the sandbaggers... Rec players don't need to collect $$$

Personally, I think rec and novice divisions should be player's pack and/or trophy only. Fewer people having to pick through the merch at the end means everyone goes home that much faster. If a player wants payout, they can play Intermediate.

That being said, I think its best to give the players options on choosing their players pack. A voucher for one premium disc or two base plastic discs would be a suggestion.

being a rec guy so far not much tourney experience so i don't play to my potential at them I think players pack with some choice of disc is better then a large pay out and it will cut down and sand baggers. Although the one tournament I have played in was no player pack, but payout to almost everyone which was nice for us, but too many people were trying to pick through the discs and 90% of those were high speed drivers and the stuff that wasn't was stuff i had tried and didn't like so it all depends on what the options are

Players pack consisting of 1-3 discs, and maybe some kind of prize for first place. Rec should be about everybody winning, so with players packs no one leaves empty handed. And this encourages players who want payouts to move up to Intermediate.

If a player pack "retails" at 25, but cost the TD 12 at cost for example, how much goes into the payout?

This is debated all the time. When I did my last singles event, I gave all AM players a choice...A t-shirt, a Champion Katana or a $10 voucher for the onsight vendor.

The t-shirts cost me $9 a piece, the discs cost me $8 a piece when factoring the shipping and estimate sales tax (Innova charges you that when you're in the same state) and the vouchers cost $9 a piece.

I deducted $11 from each players entry fee to cover the expense of the players pack and to pay for the trophies.

A lot of TDs would have deducted a lot more for the shirts or the discs, not me. I think I charged $20 for Novice and Rec and with the $11 deducted on top of the PDGA fee, there isn't much left over.

With the choices, I limited it to 20 t-shirts and 20 Champ Katanas. First come, first serve. The T-shirts went first, then the discs.

whatsa tournament?

/refuse to play anything in any division in the stl area until the current club pres is gone.
//sorry, needed to vent.

We have a lot of players in Rec. There's some that are never going to leave no matter how many times they win that division. It's a tough call to make. When you're estimating payouts for all divisions you subtract the player's pack. The value you enter is up to you, retail or cost.

Maybe as someone suggested, Rec Men should pay more and Rec Women (supporting the cause) less. I kind of thought every rec player would want the player's pack b/c for many it's their first tourney. A good player's pack keeps them coming back.

It just doesn't leave much for payouts (i.e. discs). I also like the trophy idea. I don't know, maybe we should have charged more and didn't so now money is a little tight for that division.

if it's a pdga event you are mandated to give a players package of certain value based on tier level... one of the reasons i'll never run anything higher than a c tier again... i don't like them telling me how to best run my event.

We had no idea until we started playing around with the PDGA spreadsheets for the B Tier. I'm now starting to agree with you Biscoe. We just went with tradition for this event (13 yrs). Our club was just handed it over by the previous TD.

Latest posts