• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I agree with just acquiring several Destroyers of the same plastic and throwing them for a bit to see how they all fly. They won't all fly the same. The mold has some dramatic differences in flight characteristics.

I have a question and this seems to be a good thread to ask it. I am trying to figure out the many different destroyers and when they came out. I ask this because there is a F2 *D for sale that is being sold as a "Pre-AJ" Destroyer and it doesn't have Patent numbers.

Here is what I had figured out but may not be correct. Correct me if Im wrong please.

Proto *D All have Patent numbers and Proto Stamp (did they make them with F2 Bar Stamp? or X-Out?)
Pre-AJ All have Patent numbers (did they make them with F2 Bar Stamp? or X-Out?)
AJ Some have Patent Numbers and Some don't
McB No Patent numbers

Concerning F2's and Xouts.....when was the F2 Bar Stamp first used and did it replace X-outs?

Thanks for any and all help!

J

Yeah you can't gauge the run by the type of X-Out stamp.

The only thing that matters is patent numbers.

FWIW, there is another style of factory second stamp as well.

It just says "factory second" usually stamped near the rim in a semi circle.

Yep, there have been several styles of factory second stamps over the years, but as has been said, they aren't a reliable indicator of anything. If the F2 disc DOES have patent numbers, then the pen marking can tell you something (for example patent numbers marked *D is probably pre-Avery whereas patent numbers with SDS or S/DS is probably early Avery). But no patent numbers always means late Avery or McBeth era (and not really worth any more money than a stock disc).

Yep, there have been several styles of factory second stamps over the years, but as has been said, they aren't a reliable indicator of anything. If the F2 disc DOES have patent numbers, then the pen marking can tell you something (for example patent numbers marked *D is probably pre-Avery whereas patent numbers with SDS or S/DS is probably early Avery). But no patent numbers always means late Avery or McBeth era (and not really worth any more money than a stock disc).

I have an Anthon without patent numbers *DS. Didn't Avery get his name on the destroyer after Anthon?

I have an Anthon without patent numbers *DS. Didn't Avery get his name on the destroyer after Anthon?

Nope, I don't think so. Anthon's came out in the middle of the Avery era from my recollection, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think Anthon's were also some of the very first of that swirly star plastic. None of them were re-stamped older runs because they were the new swirly star.

Here's a Facebook post from April 2013 talking about the Josh Anthon Destroyers:

https://www.facebook.com/barriediscgolfassociation/posts/546275752091525

It sounds from that post like they were new at that point which sounds about right to me. Avery won worlds in 2009 and got his Destroyer shortly after that, so the Anthons would be well into the Avery era. For reference, Anthon committed his crime in November of 2013 (according to this ultiworld post: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/06/02/now-josh-anthon/) and was dropped from the Innova team shortly thereafter. So there were only a few runs of Anthon Destroyers produced which is part of the reason they command such high prices, not because they are an early run.

I have a question and this seems to be a good thread to ask it. I am trying to figure out the many different destroyers and when they came out. I ask this because there is a F2 *D for sale that is being sold as a "Pre-AJ" Destroyer and it doesn't have Patent numbers.

Here is what I had figured out but may not be correct. Correct me if Im wrong please.

Proto *D All have Patent numbers and Proto Stamp (did they make them with F2 Bar Stamp? or X-Out?)
Pre-AJ All have Patent numbers (did they make them with F2 Bar Stamp? or X-Out?)
AJ Some have Patent Numbers and Some don't
McB No Patent numbers

Concerning F2's and Xouts.....when was the F2 Bar Stamp first used and did it replace X-outs?

Thanks for any and all help!

J

Lots of *D had CFR stamps and not proto stars.

I also have a f2 bar stamp patent # destroyer.

My friend found a Blizzard Destroyer in the weeds today. Holy fliptastic. Measured it on the scale at home, 139g. Nice for a tailwind, but not much more.

Yeah you can't gauge the run by the type of X-Out stamp.

The only thing that matters is patent numbers.

FWIW, there is another style of factory second stamp as well.

It just says "factory second" usually stamped near the rim in a semi circle.

Back in my discaroo days it seemed like that semi circle stamp dame from the east where the d out stamp came from the west. Or at least based on where traders were located at least.

My friend found a Blizzard Destroyer in the weeds today. Holy fliptastic. Measured it on the scale at home, 139g. Nice for a tailwind, but not much more.

Blizzard plastic is junk. The numbers for any mold in regular plastics don't apply with blizzard. I find tons of blizzard discs in lakes. I swear people are throwing them in there purposely.

Well considering light enough Blizzards should float I would say people are intentionally throwing them over water lol..

Blizzard plastic is junk. The numbers for any mold in regular plastics don't apply with blizzard. I find tons of blizzard discs in lakes. I swear people are throwing them in there purposely.

Bubble tops fly true to numbers, even in wind.

Bubble tops fly true to numbers, even in wind.

Yeah the old bubbles in the flight plate runs of Blizzard were great. I actually didn't realize they made Destroyers like that; I only remember the Bosses. Seems like Destroyers didn't get the Blizzard treatment until the next year after Bosses, but looks like there was still at least one run of "good" Blizzard Destroyers (as evidenced by the ones for sale on eBay).

Yeah the old bubbles in the flight plate runs of Blizzard were great. I actually didn't realize they made Destroyers like that; I only remember the Bosses. Seems like Destroyers didn't get the Blizzard treatment until the next year after Bosses, but looks like there was still at least one run of "good" Blizzard Destroyers (as evidenced by the ones for sale on eBay).

Didn't even realize they went for that much, lol.
Mine is an F2 (I wiped the stamp) with big bubbles and a pop top.

The bubble top blizzard Destroyers were super overstable when new. You can crank them hard on an anhyzer and they would fight out.

I threw this one in a massive headwind one day and it handled it like a champ. I just laughed at it, cause it was so ridiculous.