• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Not sure why, they are one of my favorite discs and I was never able to actually be a collector until about a year and a half ago and just ran with it. Kills me when I see these guys with like 30 Proto star Destroyers in every color though. just when you think your collection is cool, blammo!! But I have a few neat ones ;)

here they are though

I have one of those gold Air Force Destroyers and its really pretty in person.
I also have one of those bubble top blizzard with the biggest bubbles I've ever seen in a flight plate.

Are the beefy mcbeth destroyers even more overstable than the pd2s? I only own 2 of the mcbeth ones but man are they beefcakes.

Depends on which beefy McBeth and which PD2. The very early runs of McBeth destroyers were super overstable with little glide. They're definitely more overstable than any PD2 that I've thrown. The current run is still plenty overstable and is comparable to the PD2... I've thrown PD2s that are more overstable and I've thrown PD2s that are not as overstable.

Depends on which beefy McBeth and which PD2. The very early runs of McBeth destroyers were super overstable with little glide. They're definitely more overstable than any PD2 that I've thrown. The current run is still plenty overstable and is comparable to the PD2... I've thrown PD2s that are more overstable and I've thrown PD2s that are not as overstable.

Coolio. Threw my buddies today and his was not nearly as overstable as mine

Anybody else seen blizzard bubbles in star plastic? Came across a 154 star destroyer with bubbles around the rim.

I've seen older S/DS Stars with bubbles in the rims too. I know they are doing it now for the lighter McBeths, but it definitely happened back in the day as well.

last year's run of Echo Star destroyers were super flippy out of the box... like star tern flippy. less stable than champ terns!

In my search for something in-between a star destroyer and champ tern these failed miserably... I hated them at first...but I eventually found a use for them: hyzerflip machines in tight fairways, rollers, and distance hyzerflip side arms. less molds and their new role made me love these things eventually.

they lasted about 2months of regular play until they got squirrelly/unpredictably flippy. I decided that I'd rather cycle them those just to have some flippy options/tail wind bombers/rollers in my bag instead of bagging a sidewinder/roadrunner type disc.

this years run seem to be a lot more overstable, stiff, higher PLH, noticeable flashing and pop topped!

I bought a bunch of orange from disc golf center (thinking I'd need to cycle them quickly like DX rocs). and was pleasantly surprised at how they flew like lightly seasoned AJ destroyers out of the box.

Over a month in playing wooded courses, and the two I have bagged are still as stable. Great for long flex distance lines, slight hyzeflip lines, distance sidearms that you don't need to turn over... seasoned AJ destroyer flights.

Pop Topped, stiff, and sometimes swirly:

J7bBnryl.jpg

JMHr9tnl.jpg

PLH comparison to beefy bottom stamped destroyer: (same PLH height)

eSjhlo5l.jpg

I'm curious to see if the other colors of echostar destroyers are like this. either way I'm happy with these current ES-DS... Maybe its the same molding process thats producing the super beefy McBeth Star destroyers are producing these stable/AJ destroyer flight echostar destroyers.

Yes, my 150g PM Destroyer has bubbles. Still beefy, 150 PM files like my 175 AJ.

There are two at my Academy in the 130s. Totally different PLH on those. I was tempted to buy the low one for a downwind bomber, but I used restraint and left there with no discs.

Echo Star plastic is weird stuff. It's kind of rubbery/gummy and has far less durability than regular Star plastic. I've thrown a couple Echostar discs and not been impressed. I have a Katana that flips all over the place.

Anyone try a new destroyer with the name stamped on instead of a pen mark?

--snip-->
this years run seem to be a lot more overstable, stiff, higher PLH, noticeable flashing and pop topped!

I bought a bunch of orange from disc golf center (thinking I'd need to cycle them quickly like DX rocs). and was pleasantly surprised at how they flew like lightly seasoned AJ destroyers out of the box.

Over a month in playing wooded courses, and the two I have bagged are still as stable. Great for long flex distance lines, slight hyzeflip lines, distance sidearms that you don't need to turn over... seasoned AJ destroyer flights.

JMHr9tnl.jpg

<--snip--

Wow, current run ES sounds really nice, and they have the sick Destroyer stamp! I have soooo much on my shelf in this range, but if I can find an orange one with blue stamp its gonna have to happen..

Anyone try a new destroyer with the name stamped on instead of a pen mark?

What do you mean? As in there is no*DS on the underside? One of the things I hate about Innova is the written markings instead of the name being stamped in the disc like the Trilogy companies do, because I hate having to guess about what a disc is in the used bins(disc golfer problems). So I would love for Innova to move toward that.

Question regarding cycling destroyers.
In regards to most overstable to least overstable, does it go Mcbeth destroyers, bottom stamp, and then non Mcbeth stock stamp destroyers?
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to cycle. Seems to me it's just easiest to have a Mcbeth and cycle bottom stamps.
Side note- Where does the pd2 rate in comparison to the first mcbeths versus the current mcbeths? I've thrown mcbeths that were crazy overstable and some that were normal overstable. Just looking for consistency

In regards to most overstable to least overstable, does it go Mcbeth destroyers, bottom stamp, and then non Mcbeth stock stamp destroyers?
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to cycle. Seems to me it's just easiest to have a Mcbeth and cycle bottom stamps.
Side note- Where does the pd2 rate in comparison to the first mcbeths versus the current mcbeths? I've thrown mcbeths that were crazy overstable and some that were normal overstable. Just looking for consistency

Just put 5 destroyers of varied use in your bag and learn them. As they season, you'll note they fly differently. Once the most OS isn't OS enough, put in a freshy.

Sounds like you're going about it backwards by getting the stabilities picked before throwing.

From what I heard they stamped Mcbeths logos on what would have been AJ's and then kept producing. So I don't think there is much rhyme or reason to stability based on stamp. I called the proshop and ordered 6 destroyers asking for two FAF, two mild dome and two domey. They delivered and over time each variation has broken in where I can bag the three variations with no flight overlap. I would recommend going that route - cheap prices and good customer service.