• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Are pop top 3 line averys valuable? Also are black destroyers worth more than other colors?

ive been throwing my mcbeth one on big hyzers and when i need something to fade into the wind. it seems to have a very forward penetrating fade, is that normal with these? mine is a pop top 168g, becoming my most trusted disc.

ive been throwing my mcbeth one on big hyzers and when i need something to fade into the wind. it seems to have a very forward penetrating fade, is that normal with these? mine is a pop top 168g, becoming my most trusted disc.

Normal with the pop tops, yes. Lots of glide and plenty of stability. That's why we like 'em.

Normal with the pop tops, yes. Lots of glide and plenty of stability. That's why we like 'em.
i guess i need to read this thread for a while, i rarely see people talk about the mcbeth ones in a positive way. cant wait to season this one in even more. been throwing it close to a year and it is just now starting to show the slightest bit of turn.

i guess i need to read this thread for a while, i rarely see people talk about the mcbeth ones in a positive way. cant wait to season this one in even more. been throwing it close to a year and it is just now starting to show the slightest bit of turn.

There was only one run of McBeths that I'm aware of that was stupid overstable to the point of not being usable for anything other than utility shots. Unfortunately that was a very early run so most people's first experience with the McBeth Destroyer was that it just was too much beef. Everything that followed was overstable but with plenty of glide. Think of the 3 line AJ Destroyer but more high speed stability. Awesome disc.

If you're not throwing over 400, however, the McBeth Destroyer is still probably too overstable for you even in its current form.

There was only one run of McBeths that I'm aware of that was stupid overstable to the point of not being usable for anything other than utility shots. Unfortunately that was a very early run so most people's first experience with the McBeth Destroyer was that it just was too much beef. Everything that followed was overstable but with plenty of glide. Think of the 3 line AJ Destroyer but more high speed stability. Awesome disc.

If you're not throwing over 400, however, the McBeth Destroyer is still probably too overstable for you even in its current form.

i had a flat top black one that mustve been an early mcbeth run. probably the most overstable destroyer ive ever thrown.

oh i know, i max out between 350-375 currently. i have learned to not throw it for max distance, but only stuff where i need a big hyzer or something that will fade hard or skip at the end. i started pairing it as the overstable compliment to my trespass, which is my max distance driver. i could maybe find an old destroyer to give me that flight path but its not worth the money and effort for me at this point.

If you put a really flat top and pop top mcbeth side by side, they might as well be two different molds. Pop tops are the best. Both are new discs, pink is pop top.
2dalqo6.jpg

Yep, the one on the right is from the very early run of McBeth's. Very high PLH and pretty stiff star plastic. The top wing is also not as convex near the edge. No matter how you throw those things they will finish on a hyzer angle.

If you put a really flat top and pop top mcbeth side by side, they might as well be two different molds. Pop tops are the best. Both are new discs, pink is pop top.
2dalqo6.jpg

So my Destroyer is a flat top like the purple one on right. That said it's only 150grams. I like it a lot but if there's a cross wind I usually don't throw it. I know this is a hard question to answer but how much different is a 150 to a upper 160s? Can I expect a somewhat similar disc or radically more OS? And per the picture it clearly also depends on which Destroyer shape we are talking about too, huh?

So my Destroyer is a flat top like the purple one on right. That said it's only 150grams. I like it a lot but if there's a cross wind I usually don't throw it. I know this is a hard question to answer but how much different is a 150 to a upper 160s? Can I expect a somewhat similar disc or radically more OS? And per the picture it clearly also depends on which Destroyer shape we are talking about too, huh?

In the McBeth Destroyers I've thrown, I think the stability is much more about the wing shape and PLH than the weight. I've got a pair of 159g that are some of the most overstable Destroyers I've thrown. They are sharp with higher PLH like the purple, and I think the underside of the wing is even more concave than that purple. I could throw those into a gale headwind and they wouldn't flip over.

So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s.

I guess if anyone can tell me if there are any Pre-Avery Destroyers with Flight #'? Also, any Avery Destroyers with Pat #'s? This will help narrow the timeline down the best.

So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s.

I guess if anyone can tell me if there are any Pre-Avery Destroyers with Flight #'? Also, any Avery Destroyers with Pat #'s? This will help narrow the timeline down the best.

Good luck. Other then talking with Innova, I don't know how you would find anything concrete. I doubt they know.

Innova doesn't stamp disc as they make them. They do runs and put them in the warehouse, only stamping them when they needed. For example, it would not be crazy to see patent numbers on AJ TBs and McBeth Destros.

I don't think so to the first question. The second one is a definite yes though. As jskew113 said, they run a bunch of discs and then stamp them as they're ready to ship out. So there is always lots of old stock/new stock confusion when they change the stamp because there are both old runs and new runs all getting stamped with the new stamp. Destroyers are popular enough that they are probably just making runs at regular intervals. Then when they go to stamp and ship them out, they don't seem to necessarily discriminate what run they are. They just grab a bunch of Destroyers and stamp them; they might have been run last week or 2 years ago.

I know they still had old stock F2 Star Destroyers with patent numbers lying around the warehouse as late as 2014 when I bought a bunch of them from the Factory Store, but they got stamped with the "new" F2 stamp. Granted those were F2's, but it still illustrates the point.

I don't think so to the first question. The second one is a definite yes though. As jskew113 said, they run a bunch of discs and then stamp them as they're ready to ship out. So there is always lots of old stock/new stock confusion when they change the stamp because there are both old runs and new runs all getting stamped with the new stamp. Destroyers are popular enough that they are probably just making runs at regular intervals. Then when they go to stamp and ship them out, they don't seem to necessarily discriminate what run they are. They just grab a bunch of Destroyers and stamp them; they might have been run last week or 2 years ago.

I know they still had old stock F2 Star Destroyers with patent numbers lying around the warehouse as late as 2014 when I bought a bunch of them from the Factory Store, but they got stamped with the "new" F2 stamp. Granted those were F2's, but it still illustrates the point.
Yeah. I bought a stack of pat# f2 Wraiths last year. All super pretty discs which is why I picked them up in the first place. I definitely knew the pat# removal date would be much harder to pin down. Really, having them is more indicative of when they were run than flight #'s. I also bought two Ontario Rhynos this year that had flight #'s. One used, but one brand new that just came in to the store from Innova. They are Star, so that explains why they were in unstamped back stock, but still.

Btw, what are we calling McBeths without Destroyer stamped into the disc, pre engraved?

Last edited:

No Pre-Avery with flight numbers.

Yes to Avery Destroyers with patent numbers, majority being 2-Line.

What in the hell are you guys talking about with the lines?

Below Avery's signature on the disc, there is the writing "Avery Jenkins 2009 PDGA World Champion." When he first got his sig on the disc, this writing was on 2 lines: "Avery Jenkins" then "2009 PDGA World Champion." Later, they modified the stamp slightly to have 3 lines of writing (and changed the signature itself) so it says: "Avery Jenkins" then "2009 PDGA" then "World Champion." So the 2-line AJ Destroyers are older and thus much more likely to have patent numbers. If you just do a Google image search for "Avery Jenkins Destroyer" you can see many examples of both styles of stamp.

I picked up a couple blue color glow cfr Destroyers recently. They are pretty soft and grippy. I'm a 400'-420' thrower with Destroyers and these are the longest off the shelf Destroyers I've thrown. They might break in quick but for now they are really nice.