• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Breaker!

Got my first round in with the SB Breaker, and for me the SB is more OS than my ProLine. . and has better grip

Did a Luna/Breaker round yesterday and it went quite good. . its a nice combo and i´m starting to feel that i only need my Zone for FH approach throws. .not much else

I carry D-Line P3 and JB Zone for all my short game and putting. The Zone is overstable; the P3s are straight-stable. Now that the P3s are OOP, I'm looking for future replacements.

The disc has to be shallow. P3x and P2 are too deep for my hand. The Luna probably as well.

Furthermore I like flat top discs. This is what I've disliked on the P3: it has some dome. First, I thought I could beat some Pro-D or JB Zones to straight and use them for putting, but they often are concave and have a hard edge at the rim shoulder, whereas the P3 is rounded there. This doesn't matter for throwing but the rim edge feels awkward for putting.

From the numbers and descriptions the Breaker seems to be pretty much what I want, but I read that it has a thumbtrack, which I fear might make the rim shoulder feel more like the Zone and less like the P3.

DGA discs are rather difficult to get in Germany, especially if I only want one disc to give it a try. Can anyone describe Breaker, Zone and P3 in relation to each other?

The Breaker does not have a thumbtrack, but i does have a bead.

The top is board flat, a very "zone like" top , but the rim on the Breaker is very diffrent from a Zone
The Rim feels much "thinner" on the Breaker but it feels great !

The only P3s i have are the "old ones" and i think Discmania has changed the mould . . but i will check the P3s when i get home
From what i can remember the flight om my P3s and Breakers a similar

Yea, DGA is hard to get in Europe :( have to order them from USA and that IS expensive

The Breaker does not have a thumbtrack, but i does have a bead.
Ah, okay. A bead on itself should not be the problem if the rim is still shallow. (The bead on the P3x made the rim deeper.)

The top is board flat, a very "zone like" top , but the rim on the Breaker is very diffrent from a Zone
The Rim feels much "thinner" on the Breaker but it feels great !
Thickness of the rim should be no issue for me. I care for the upper edge of the rim. I like that the P3 has a bit of a shoulder, whereas the Zone rather goes downwards in that part.

The only P3s i have are the "old ones" and i think Discmania has changed the mould . . but i will check the P3s when i get home
From what i can remember the flight om my P3s and Breakers a similar
It would be great if you could check. Discmania has changed the flight numbers from 3/2/0/3 to 3/2/0/2, which better refects the actual flight, IMO, but I don't think that they have changed the mold. Anyways, slight differences don't matter to me. Important is the feeling in my hand when putting. Maybe you could describe that, in comparison to the P3 and Zone.

Yea, DGA is hard to get in Europe :( have to order them from USA and that IS expensive
Same for me. It is expensive and it makes more sense the more discs you buy. Last time it was about 30,- EUR for shipping and I had to pay 15,- EUR of tax additionally ... for 6-8 discs, IIRC.

Last edited:
I will check and feel . .. and perhaps take a photo of P3 vs Breaker later today.

mm just got 7disc from Infinite and that was $28 in shipping and another $23 in Tax and customs fee.
And have 4 disc ( DGA disc ) on the way from OTB disc, that was $19 in shipping and $18 in VAT+customs :(

Odd thing is that the Swedish shop "Discsport" only takes 12,9€ in shipping world wide for 10disc. . and 4,9€ for 1 disc

Why is it so much more expensive to ship from the US to Sweden than to ship from Sweden to the US??

DGA discs are rather difficult to get in Germany, especially if I only want one disc to give it a try. Can anyone describe Breaker, Zone and P3 in relation to each other?

The breaker is basically a beaded ringer GT. Pretty shallow even with the bead on it. They don't tend to be as board flat as a good zone, but the SP ones I have aren't really domey. Both of them feel like 'tweener' discs - like very fast putters or very slow midranges. The breaker has a tick less stability than a zone, both high speed and low speed ends. I find the breaker great for backhand shots, but I'm more comfortable with the zone on forehand due to the little extra stability. I don't particularly like my z zone for backhand throws.

Not so sure about the P3, I think it's very much like an aviar3, a pretty straight putter with a flat top. Don't really know how that would fit with the other two, but I'd probably put it closer to the breaker than the zone.

Ah, okay. A bead on itself should not be the problem if the rim is still shallow. (The bead on the P3x made the rim deeper.)

Thickness of the rim should be no issue for me. I care for the upper edge of the rim. I like that the P3 has a bit of a shoulder, whereas the Zone rather goes downwards in that part.

It would be great if you could check. Discmania has changed the flight numbers from 3/2/0/3 to 3/2/0/2, which better refects the actual flight, IMO, but I don't think that they have changed the mold. Anyways, slight differences don't matter to me. Important is the feeling in my hand when putting. Maybe you could describe that, in comparison to the P3 and Zone.

Same for me. It is expensive and it makes more sense the more discs you buy. Last time it was about 30,- EUR for shipping and I had to pay 15,- EUR of tax additionally ... for 6-8 discs, IIRC.

Breaker is much more shallow than the P3x, however the wing shape/ general idea is very similar. The Breaker has a sort of dip on the flight plate, it's less like a rhyno or a pig and more like a less exaggerated Berg.

I love the Breaker, I had a flick in miracle par save at WVO with mine from like 100'.

Breaker left, P3 right . . my Breakers is close to board flat, P3 has a small dome

attachment.php

Attachments

• breal.jpg
    breal.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
I don't have a P3, but I do have an aforementioned P3x. P3x is glow, Breaker is yellow. I also tried to capture the weird top plate of the Breaker to better show that area since that's your main area of concern.
UkBb13L.jpg

mmVV8Vn.jpg

TJgItoa.jpg

Thanks a lot for all those pictures, they help a lot! Looks pretty good so far. I think only having one in my hand will help any further now.

@Jolt: What plastic is that white P3 you have? Looks like S-Line, but (at least at the end) they were only made in D-Line and C-Line. Is your's an old one in a different plastic or is my plastic guess only wrong? I would have liked something a bit more durable than D-Line but less slick than C-Line for throwing. In lack of this option, I now throw my D-Line P3s, which I would like to kept a bit more fade for a longer time ... Maybe the Breaker could help in this regard as well.

Not so sure about the P3, I think it's very much like an aviar3, a pretty straight putter with a flat top.
The P3 a mixture of two Innova molds, I'm not sure ... was it XD bottom (beadless) and Classic Roc top? ... I've forgotten. Anyways, it has (quite) some dome, it is never flat. The number 3 in the name has nothing to do with the Innova flat-top variants, it simply is the more overstable version of the P2 (Discmania naming schema). It has big high-speed stability and a healthy fade, at least when new. It then seasons in a Roc- or Teebird-like style: losing the fade first, but keeping the HSS. Overall it's very much like a Roc or Teebird: D-Line plastic (i.e. DX) becomes straight pretty fast. C-Line (i.e. Champion) keeps some fade for a long time. Those P3s that I have are much less overstable than a Zone, even a newish C-Line P3 compared to a played-with JB Zone. If the Zone is a Firebird, then the P3 is a Teebird. Worn-in P3s putt flightwise like P2s IMO, but are much more shallow.

The P3X is board-flat, has a bead and a deeper rim. It has no similarity with the mold of the P3, only it flies about the same (with a bit more overstability, I believe).

Yeah it's not a "thumtrac" since I think that was under an Innova patent till a few years back when suddenly every maker came out with one (Caltrop, Slammer, Ringer GT, Warspear, etc). It's not perfectly flat though. It does have a dip right before the edge, that mimics the feel of that Rhyno track.

If I have it right, Michael Johansen putted a Rhyno with Innova, and when he moved to Discraft, they came out with a Zone for him. He putted with that till they made him the Ringer (which the Breaker is based on).

I prefer the subtle dip of the Breaker over the hard line of a thumtrac.

It has big high-speed stability and a healthy fade, at least when new. It then seasons in a Roc- or Teebird-like style: losing the fade first, but keeping the HSS. Overall it's very much like a Roc or Teebird:

Breaker also seasons like this. However the problem is Discraft/DGA Base plastic is awful so it gets flippy real fast and on the opposite side SP is incredibly durable. I only had one ProLine Breaker, and lost it before it beat in, but that would probably be closest to the ideal plastic for it if you're looking to get that beat in sweet spot goodness.

My SP breaker had definitely seasoned in half a season. I only play 2 times a week, at most. The SP hit the sweet spot pretty quickly. I can flex it or get it to hold anny with ease, and a lot more glide, compared to mew

My SP breaker had definitely seasoned in half a season. I only play 2 times a week, at most. The SP hit the sweet spot pretty quickly. I can flex it or get it to hold anny with ease, and a lot more glide, compared to mew

I'm a little jealous, mines been in the bag almost a year now and it's still pretty OS. Not as OS as it was, or as much as an A1, but nowhere near straight with no fade like the Pro D's get in a month or so

Just got my hands on a Flex Breaker. . not as soft that i thought it would be, but softer and alot better grip than the ProLine

Can´t wait to throw it. . and all the other fun DGA disc i got today. .OTB sure have a lot of fun and odd DGA plastics :)

Are Breakers and Ringers flat now? The 15ish I owned a few years back all had a thumbtack of sort...not nearly vertical like Innovas but rather a steep curve a la the Berg from Kastaplast.

New buyers should be aware there's two versions if new ones are indeed coming out flat.

I recently switched my entire bag over to the DGA brand (I fell in love with a swirly-flex Pipeline last year and decided to go all out).

I'm a bit confused by the plastic blends but let me just note what I've found so far because I've recently bought a lot of discs by DGA and have started to form some conclusion:

They have two to three types of pro line plastic. I have multiple fairway and distance drivers that are incredibly similar to s-line or star plastic...exactly what I'd imagine their pro line to want to be. But I also have every mid range they make as well as the breaker in pro line plastic and it's incredibly different. The plastic is WAY slicker, it almost feels like a blend of s-line/star plastic and c-line/champion plastic. These discs also have little circles around them (must be how they mold it) that make it look like a vinyl record. So i initially made the conclusion that their pro line plastic is different only between low speed discs and high speed discs, BUT THEN I got a mystery disc from Infinite Discs that was a Pro Line Hurricane and it feels kind of between the two plastic types. It's still incredibly slick, it's not tacky like the other drivers, but it doesn't have the circles around it as if its molded normally like other brands and plastic types. I'm just at a loss guys.

I should also add that the "pro line" that looks/feels vinyl is much stiffer and less "flexy" than the tackier pro line on the higher speed discs.

So to attempt to settle the entire debacle I bought three different plastics of hurricanes- one SP, one Pro Line, and one signature swirl (which is like actual star/s-line and i recommend this plastic whenever possible). And I will compare them to the mystery disc hurricane to see how they all feel and fly.

I also bought 3 more breakers. One SP, one pro line that looks swirly but is labeled regular pro line, and one special blend that is supposedly extra grippy and overstable at the same time.

All these discs will arrive in two days and, if I remember, I'll post what I find to let you guys know.

I'm already a bit disappointed that their pro line changes quite drastically depending on what disc you get. I suppose it's possible that the new "vinyl" pro line is their new standard and it just so happens that all my drivers are an old blend that used to be more grippy and flexy...or vice versa, but I doubt this. Come on DGA, if i order a plastic type I expect the exact same blend no matter which disc I buy!

I recently switched my entire bag over to the DGA brand (I fell in love with a swirly-flex Pipeline last year and decided to go all out).

I'm a bit confused by the plastic blends but let me just note what I've found so far because I've recently bought a lot of discs by DGA and have started to form some conclusion:

They have two to three types of pro line plastic. I have multiple fairway and distance drivers that are incredibly similar to s-line or star plastic...exactly what I'd imagine their pro line to want to be. But I also have every mid range they make as well as the breaker in pro line plastic and it's incredibly different. The plastic is WAY slicker, it almost feels like a blend of s-line/star plastic and c-line/champion plastic. These discs also have little circles around them (must be how they mold it) that make it look like a vinyl record. So i initially made the conclusion that their pro line plastic is different only between low speed discs and high speed discs, BUT THEN I got a mystery disc from Infinite Discs that was a Pro Line Hurricane and it feels kind of between the two plastic types. It's still incredibly slick, it's not tacky like the other drivers, but it doesn't have the circles around it as if its molded normally like other brands and plastic types. I'm just at a loss guys.

I should also add that the "pro line" that looks/feels vinyl is much stiffer and less "flexy" than the tackier pro line on the higher speed discs.

So to attempt to settle the entire debacle I bought three different plastics of hurricanes- one SP, one Pro Line, and one signature swirl (which is like actual star/s-line and i recommend this plastic whenever possible). And I will compare them to the mystery disc hurricane to see how they all feel and fly.

I also bought 3 more breakers. One SP, one pro line that looks swirly but is labeled regular pro line, and one special blend that is supposedly extra grippy and overstable at the same time.

All these discs will arrive in two days and, if I remember, I'll post what I find to let you guys know.

I'm already a bit disappointed that their pro line changes quite drastically depending on what disc you get. I suppose it's possible that the new "vinyl" pro line is their new standard and it just so happens that all my drivers are an old blend that used to be more grippy and flexy...or vice versa, but I doubt this. Come on DGA, if i order a plastic type I expect the exact same blend no matter which disc I buy!

I agree, however it does not depend on the mold as to what the plastic is like as I will point out. Normally Proline is like modern Titanium or very close to that but some older runs the stuff had some problems and the discs that have the super beyond grip, almost too much get very fingerpinty the way old Elite Z sometimes did. I know as I have an older Proline Titanic that feels more like the old Titanum when I bought my 2 sets of Titanic discs, the first and then the second backup set, backup set has the almost too much grip disc. Both Proline and Titanium, the plastics changed at about the same time to make me think that Proline is similar to Titanium, but just that DGA discs sell much more slowly then Discraft discs have ever sold. Older variants of the Proline plastic are easier to find for DGA not just due to slower sales but due to Discraft before having old style Titanum for the longest time as a tournament plastic only.

I get what you mean but I'm not sure I'm quite convinced unless they changed their plastic types in the last year or two. The Banzai was released 2 years ago this month, and the two that I got last month have stamps that couldn't be more than a few months old (but it's possible that they're older than they look). But I also have 3 or 4 very old DGA fairway/drivers that are the same grippy, tacky plastic.

Every one of my mid ranges are the slicker/vinyl type of plastic, but I don't have a really old one to compare to.

The only way I've managed to get around this issue is to specifically order the swirly blends/signature discs because they come in a guaranteed grippy/tacky plastic.