• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Bag Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the idea and would love to have a tag on my bag. I think that we should randomly assign numbers to everyone that wants to participate and then have them updated on the website when tags are swapped. That way if I'm in Texas and a lower ranked tag is in Ohio, I can challenge that player to a round when I know that I'll be in Ohio. I think that would foster a nice sense of unity among all of us on this site. Those of us that are in areas that don't have a lot of players on the site may not get to play for tags very often, but I think that is still better than not doing it at all. When new players want in, they get the next numbered tag. I hope this happens, I think it is a cool idea.

From what I understand one of the selling points of bag tags is to foster some friendly competition and add some interest to otherwise casual rounds played. Sometimes there's a wager involved, i.e. you have to put up some $ in order to challenge a player with a more desirable tag. Usually in those schemes there's some significant benefit to having the lowest (like golf lowest=best) number tag like for the purpose of seeding a bracketed year end tourney.

However, the more I think about it the more the idea of DGCR bag tags is growing on me. here's what I'd propose:

• They should be numbered on one side.

• They should advertise DGCR on the other side.

• There should be a call-for-tags on the forum and give everyone a couple weeks to respond.

• Hand out the tags for all the responders in the order that they joined the DGCR site.

• After the inital call for tags any new requestors are assigned the next sequential number.

• Put your DGCR bag tag number in your forum signature.
Then any local players can constantly be swapping tags and travellers can hook up with locals and tags will migrate around the country.

The DGCR feature where you can schedule rounds would make meeting up with locals pretty easy.

This might also be cool: when you get a new tag, in neat small letters print the name of your city. That way as tags move around you can see where they've been. Just be sure to be nice and leave room for other places.

Thoughts??

ERic

I think they should all be the same as well. If they are distinct from other bag tags then we can seek eachother out. All red with the logo, etc.

What happens if you never have the chance to go for #1 cause it is up in Maine or down in Florida and I am in WA.? iI see your point EricJ, I just wonder if there is only #39 and #103 in my state and I am number #16 must I travel all around the US to move up?

Of course I'm always down for travel but perhaps theres a way to do it online with the honor system.

Yeah, it should be obvious that with any system of tags distributed across the country that there will be little chance of getting #1 by any one person. But tags will travel. People go to big tournaments: Worlds, Bowling Green, etc.. and tags can get redistributed at such events.

But without any sort of "end goal" for these tags there really isn't a point or benefit to getting #1 so does it really matter if you never have a chance at it? I see this as mostly a social draw vs. a big status symbol.

ERic

Yeah, it should be obvious that with any system of tags distributed across the country that there will be little chance of getting #1 by any one person. But tags will travel. People go to big tournaments: Worlds, Bowling Green, etc.. and tags can get redistributed at such events.

But without any sort of "end goal" for these tags there really isn't a point or benefit to getting #1 so does it really matter if you never have a chance at it? I see this as mostly a social draw vs. a big status symbol.

ERic

i think that it would just be fun to see what tags you can get and you can keep track of them in a new section in your profile (ideas Tim?)

Well I am loving the excitement of this regardless of how it all works out.
I love the idea of having tags on our bags to spot each other out at the course. So numbers or no numbers, it is a great idea if they are made well of course. Here is a couple of random ideas.

Number Tags: If there are numbers on them and you do a random distribution, you could swap without the playing of each other and still make it fun. Every time you see someone with a bag tag you can "call" for the swap. But you can't swap with the same person more than once in a calendar year.

Non-Numbered Tags: If you did non-numbered tags, it might be cool to have the back blank, and every time you meet someone from another state with a tag, they could Sharpie their state on the back and you likewise or something like that.

Just some thoughts for someone else to work with.

I'll have to dig around.. I want them to look a little nicer. Something like these: http://www.imprintgolf.com/bagtag_page.htm

The stainless steel ones are slick but a bit expensive.

I guess I should have done a search first.. there are tons of bag tags out there.

Don't get me wrong...metal ones are nice, but colorful ones with white backgrounds are easier to spot your logo on.

I wish you guys had started this thread before I drilled a hole in my DGCR mini and hung it from my bag...:rolleyes:

The metal was too expensive anyway. If this happens it'll probably be a nice looking white one.

Think: light weight.

I already have enough stuff in my bag, not sure I want a platinum tag hanging off it too. ;)

ERic

Status
Not open for further replies.