• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGDave's Dyed Disc Depository

ChUcK said:
keltik said:
why does that nude look so familiar?

I couldn't think of any better 'your mom' joke this early in the morning, so you'll just have to make do with: Because it's your mom.

I was gonna say something about it coming out tits, but that would be wrong, so I won't do that.

However, I will say:

- LOOKATHERACKSONTHATSUCKER! WOOOOOHOOO!

- I can't wait for the "thigh" dye to complete the chicken-trio.

Nice dyes, doctor, keep 'em comin'!

Well, I did a boarder and it turned put pretty good. I'm gonna put in a design in the middle. My wife put up my dye and spilled some on the disc. Now I have to think of something that will work with the smudge.

IMG00464-20100514-1212.jpg

That was done with contact paper and it sucks. It streched and tore some. It would have been much better with vinyl.

I found a rouge piece of vinyl so I did my high school mascot. It's a Wardog and his name is Oggie Doggie. I like this one a lot.

IMAG0238.jpg

Looks like your technique is pretty solid now, dave, let's see you mess around with some multicolors now! Think you can make a knock-off Burberry? :idea:

When doing multi color ones of more than black and one other color, do you cut multiple masks or just keep all the cuts on the tansfer tape and re apply them to the disc?

If you are only doing 2 colors you can leave the vinyl on the disc that you want the second color to be. Always do black first then pull the vinyl off that you want the second color and dip it into your second color.

It really depends on the image and the color scheme desired. If you want a two color dye of red and green then you have to find a way to mask the first color while dyeing the second, but if the colors aren't clashing it is possible to just dip away without remasking parts. I have used 3 pieces of vinyl for 3 colors, and one piece for 6. Every situation calls for a different technique.

Damn it. I made this too big and it bled at the edges. I'm gonna re do this one. Probably flip flop the 2 images on the right.

IMAG0242-1.jpg

Dave, try this out. Get all 4 Beatles cut out again, and then take scissors and cut each image out on its own, with 1/2" or so extra vinyl at the edges. Apply all 4 in the exact spot on the disc where you want it to be, and get it all smooth with no air bubbles. This will be easy since the vinyl pieces are only 2"x2" or so instead of one 10" square piece.

Then, cover each Beatle with some transfer tape (just enough to keep their vinyl from getting goobered), four separate pieces just bigger than the images. Cover the whole thing with an uncut piece of vinyl, put a new blade on your xacto, and lightly trace the images out of the covering vinyl so as to remove only that piece and not cut all the way down to the disc.

Basically, apply the four images separately (makes it really easy to do so without bleeds) and them mask the whole disc appropriately. If you do it carefully it will be a surefire no-bleed situation.

Keep it up, mang!

Kinda great idea. It has severe limitations, but the process will surely teach you some new tricks for your growing arsenal of dyeskills. It's pretty amazing how far you can stray from the standard process with no evidence in the final product.