• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Las Vegas Challenge Feb 25-28

There's a word for that: clutch.

yep. Even the putting thing might not be in his favor anymore, especially when compared to Eagle. I can't find another player who ranks consistently in the top 20 in both, although I didn't look terribly hard. Ricky and Calvin both had a year where they weren't in the top 20. Matt dollar is a great putter but hardly played last year, so we'll see how he plays this year. Anyway, the numbers seem to indicate that Eagle has slowly surpassed McBeth in putting.

Eagle:
2020: 5th in C1X, 11th in C2
2019: 1st in C1X, 12th in C2
2018: 5th in C1X, 17th in C2

Paul:
2020: 6th in C1X, 17th in C2
2019: 9th in C1X, 10th in C2
2018: 3rd in C1X, 15th in C2

Eagle seemed to be as fresh, strong on the last hole as the first. Reality is we all age, and Paul at 30 is probably 1/1 competitive with anyone any age, except on a course where you have to bomb the majority of holes. Not saying he can't throw as far, but after 2-3 rounds of chucking bombs you're going to have some fatigue, which mainly is going to affect accuracy imop. Keep in mind he placed better this time than the last time he played this event. ;) lol..

Waco is a bit more technical with only a few long holes, I think that will be a much better gauge of Paul's current skill set compared to the rest of the field.

I wonder if Eagle should consider leaning more on the PD2 and less on the DD3 going forward, at least for backhands. It sure seems he plays better with them. And his best year was in 2018 before the Cloudbreaker existed.

And for Paul, I'm not worried about him at all. He was on lead/feature card all 4 rounds despite playing courses that played to others' strengths more than his. Sure he struggled in the 4th round, but that is probably because he knew he had to press hard to make up ground with the way Eagle was playing.

Going forward, very few courses on tour are like the LVC courses. Distance advantages will be mitigated somewhat, and more balanced skill sets like Paul's will have more of a chance to shine.

People still assume PM is playing at his 2012 - 2015 levels (which was him winning like 90% of major events he entered). He's fallen off a little, plus talent has risen to meet the challenge and he's not a guaranteed win like he used to be.

But the rating records that he broke several times were last year, no?

yep. Even the putting thing might not be in his favor anymore, especially when compared to Eagle. I can't find another player who ranks consistently in the top 20 in both, although I didn't look terribly hard. Ricky and Calvin both had a year where they weren't in the top 20. Matt dollar is a great putter but hardly played last year, so we'll see how he plays this year. Anyway, the numbers seem to indicate that Eagle has slowly surpassed McBeth in putting.

Eagle:
2020: 5th in C1X, 11th in C2
2019: 1st in C1X, 12th in C2
2018: 5th in C1X, 17th in C2

Paul:
2020: 6th in C1X, 17th in C2
2019: 9th in C1X, 10th in C2
2018: 3rd in C1X, 15th in C2

Dickerson is definitely up there.

Looking at "Season stats on UDisc, which looks to be what you used:

2020: 7th in C1X, 6th in C2
2019: 20th in C1X, 2nd in C2
2018: 7th in C1X, 2nd in C2

Dickerson is definitely up there.

Looking at "Season stats on UDisc, which looks to be what you used:

2020: 7th in C1X, 6th in C2
2019: 20th in C1X, 2nd in C2
2018: 7th in C1X, 2nd in C2

well done. Matt Dollar is another great and consistent putter, but didn't play last year.

Does Paul usually win in the first couple events? I've only been watching on and off for a couple years but this seems like a fairly normal first tourney for him. And of course the LVC courses and the windy weather they had are pretty much custom made for Eagle to dominate the field.

He won the Wintertime Open (usually the week before first big tourney), like 8 years in a row at one point. Very different track and easier competition than Vegas though.

Any thoughts on the way Eagle putted out to finish the tournament?
Jerm seemed to be on the cusp of saying something negative but basically said wow a few times...

Was it poor sportsmanship? Or a fun moment for disc golf? Was it something that signifies the fun and more free history of the game versus the stodgy puritanism of ball golf? Or was it an insult to us all and black mark upon our venerable pastime? Did it rub any of you keyboard warriors the wrong way?

We need more of that kind of stuff. The talent pool at the top is getting younger. The sport (pro side) needs more personality (good or not so good) instead of the robotic non emotive play trending the past few years.

You can rest the blame entirely on cancel culture. Everyone is afraid to say or do the wrong thing and get fired. Without disc manufacturer sponsorship you can kiss your job as a touring professional goodbye.

Hence the sterility of what we see today out of pretty much all the professionals. A lot of these guys are walking on eggshells and keeping things to themselves. Disc golf is definitely losing its counterculture and rebel roots and has been for awhile now.

Jerm seemed to be on the cusp of saying something negative but basically said wow a few times...

Was it poor sportsmanship? Or a fun moment for disc golf? Was it something that signifies the fun and more free history of the game versus the stodgy puritanism of ball golf? Or was it an insult to us all and black mark upon our venerable pastime? Did it rub any of you keyboard warriors the wrong way?

What did he do? I saw him throw the upside down Tilt, but I think I missed everything after that.

You can rest the blame entirely on cancel culture. Everyone is afraid to say or do the wrong thing and get fired. Without disc manufacturer sponsorship you can kiss your job as a touring professional goodbye.

Hence the sterility of what we see today out of pretty much all the professionals. A lot of these guys are walking on eggshells and keeping things to themselves. Disc golf is definitely losing its counterculture and rebel roots and has been for awhile now.

What exactly do you think the players aren't doing or saying out of fear of getting cancelled?

The only thing that people anywhere are really getting "cancelled" over are criminal acts or saying racist or misogynistic or homophobic things. Are you saying there isn't enough of that stuff in disc golf?

The Las Vegas Challenge gave every player a hefty caddy book before the tournament. There are a lot of ground rules dealing with OB, re-teeing, drop zones, etc. I have played this event every year. Every year my groups routinely double check with the Caddy book on how to proceed if we have any questions. It is very simple and just takes a few extra seconds to be sure we are getting the calls right.

I was "disc"gusted to see how the lead card handled basic course rules questions on Sunday. Instead of one of the four players opening up the caddy book, they all stood aside and waited for Jeff Spring to make a ruling before anyone would take another shot. These are pretty simple rules that don't require the tour manager to make the call. Meanwhile, Nate Doss is in Oregon and can read his caddy book and explain exactly what the call should be before Jeff Spring finally comes around to officiate. Again, it was embarrassing to see how the top players in the game seemed unwilling to self-officiate on basic ground rules.

FYI - One of the holes where the lead group waited for a tour director call was Hole 6. The rules on Innova Hole #6 have been very similar every year. If disc does not land inbounds off the tee for any reason, player automatically proceeds to drop zone. Any subsequent OB is played by PDGA rules. It is NOT a tough rule to understand or implement. Why did this group wait for Jeff to rule after Paul went OB from the drop zone? Why didn't a single one of these top players pull out the caddy book and read it aloud for the group?

Is it so they don't look bad on camera for making a rules call on an opponent? Is it because there is bigger money on the line? It was a bad look for all of them not stepping up to read the caddy book and make the call.

The Las Vegas Challenge gave every player a hefty caddy book before the tournament. There are a lot of ground rules dealing with OB, re-teeing, drop zones, etc. I have played this event every year. Every year my groups routinely double check with the Caddy book on how to proceed if we have any questions. It is very simple and just takes a few extra seconds to be sure we are getting the calls right.

I was "disc"gusted to see how the lead card handled basic course rules questions on Sunday. Instead of one of the four players opening up the caddy book, they all stood aside and waited for Jeff Spring to make a ruling before anyone would take another shot. These are pretty simple rules that don't require the tour manager to make the call. Meanwhile, Nate Doss is in Oregon and can read his caddy book and explain exactly what the call should be before Jeff Spring finally comes around to officiate. Again, it was embarrassing to see how the top players in the game seemed unwilling to self-officiate on basic ground rules.

FYI - One of the holes where the lead group waited for a tour director call was Hole 6. The rules on Innova Hole #6 have been very similar every year. If disc does not land inbounds off the tee for any reason, player automatically proceeds to drop zone. Any subsequent OB is played by PDGA rules. It is NOT a tough rule to understand or implement. Why did this group wait for Jeff to rule after Paul went OB from the drop zone? Why didn't a single one of these top players pull out the caddy book and read it aloud for the group?

Is it so they don't look bad on camera for making a rules call on an opponent? Is it because there is bigger money on the line? It was a bad look for all of them not stepping up to read the caddy book and make the call.

Caddy Books are for Caddies?

Seriously, it may be that Jeff advised the players to call him whenever they are unsure of a rule, rather than argue it out in front of the cameras. Appearances.

A much better and more impactful observation than my trolling question on Eagle's putt...
Why is the MPO field afraid of the rulebook?
"Unwritten rules" of disc golf like in baseball? No one wants to be "that guy"? So strange.

Caddy Books are for Caddies?

Seriously, it may be that Jeff advised the players to call him whenever they are unsure of a rule, rather than argue it out in front of the cameras. Appearances.

What a terrible thought. Instead of exemplifying the spirit of the game and demonstrating what a rules discussion looks like, the TD is called in to make a decision so the kids don't fight?

And then the implication is that actual rules discussions must be contentious and argumentative so much that they should be avoided.

What a terrible thought. Instead of exemplifying the spirit of the game and demonstrating what a rules discussion looks like, the TD is called in to make a decision so the kids don't fight?

And then the implication is that actual rules discussions must be contentious and argumentative so much that they should be avoided.

Not really. The desired perception might be that a "referee" making the call appears more professional than letting the players work it out. Note that this is all supposition.

I've seen exactly that attitude expressed many times in this forum.

If i was winning by 8 strokes with a few holes left i would totally clown on the rest of the card