• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Waco Annual Charity Open Mar 12-14

Can anyone confirm that red disc Bradley William's was throwing all weekend was a Yeti Pro Aviar? I've recently been loving it as a throwing putter and really liked watching Bradley play. Definitely trying to emulate his form in my fieldwork sessions this weeks.

I heard the announcers say JK Aviar on one of his red putter throws.

As a long time Nikko fan (since 2011) you'll never know how happy I was watching this tourney. Especially the riveting 2 holes live. Just watched the 3rd round on Jomez and the interview at the end made me even happier.

Nikko's pace of play unfairly robs his cardmates of experiencing the full backup they're entitled too at the next tee.
That's a common pre-emptive statement made by players in tournaments I've been in. I played in an event last summer where a player I LOVE golfing with (Jamie Mosier) stopped a putt because a vehicle was moving 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. He turned to us as he waited for the car pulling up to a stop sign and said "if we don't take our time we're just gonna be waiting on the tee anyway." We all chuckled, and the round kept on going.

I probably wouldn't have remembered the situation at all if not for just how far away the car was. I didn't and don't mind, I'm of the mind that I'm there to golf all day regardless. But the car being so far away kinda made it a bit more funny to me.

Last edited:
Dont think he'd want to prevent lipreading and then agree to being mic'd up for Jomez
I was thinking it could have been more of a move like poker players who wear dark glasses so the other players can't see their eyes. Not saying there was anything wrong with it considering the Covid issue.

Can anyone confirm that red disc Bradley William's was throwing all weekend was a Yeti Pro Aviar? I've recently been loving it as a throwing putter and really liked watching Bradley play. Definitely trying to emulate his form in my fieldwork sessions this weeks.

http://imgur.com/a/W1PifVL

Is what Brad told me he was planning to throw at Waco.

I'll also follow up my early statement with the fact I've filmed and hung out with him multiple times, and he's always been great to be around.

Question becomes whether it is fair to have an official follow a player with a known history of flouting the rules when there is not an official following all groups. I would say yes but i suspect many others would say no. Otherwise you need 18 officials. I would suspect you would need to pay said officials as well- it is going to be a ****ty job and volunteers will fairly quickly become hard to come by, particularly when offending players pitch a fit when called.

Also the pdga rule should require TDs to make clear who all officials are that can make rulings. I'm not certain this happened but I heard something about the former executive director of the pdga being asked to make calls on a card at the world championships! That always seemed kinda weird to me.

Also the pdga rule should require TDs to make clear who all officials are that can make rulings. I'm not certain this happened but I heard something about the former executive director of the pdga being asked to make calls on a card at the world championships! That always seemed kinda weird to me.

I was there and it seemed really strange and mostly symbolic at the time.

Sections 1.11 and 1.12 of the Competition Manual make it clear who can make rulings.

Sections 1.11 and 1.12 of the Competition Manual make it clear who can make rulings.

That's what we're talking about. Those sections fall short as they don't require all tournament officials to be published to the players. See above example. You know the story and you know why it's problematic, Chuck.

That's what we're talking about. Those sections fall short as they don't require all tournament officials to be published to the players. See above example. You know the story and you know why it's problematic, Chuck.
PDGA Competition employees in the appeals process up to and including the Executive Director are de facto officials whenever present. It's not stated directly but implied as part of the appeals process in the rule book that proceeds from the TD (if it doesn't stop there) to Big Dog, Downes or Exec Director.

PDGA Competition employees in the appeals process up to and including the Executive Director are de facto officials whenever present. It's not stated directly but implied as part of the appeals process in the rule book that proceeds from the TD (if it doesn't stop there) to Big Dog, Downes or Exec Director.

"Section 1.11 and 1.12 make it clear" and "t's not stated directly but implied."

I think you've illustrated my point better than I could have.

I encourage you to go ahead and make the call. The first call is just a warning and doesn't have to be seconded. No harm.

I've played with a lot of slow players, warned a bunch, and have never seen one who took even close to thirty seconds after that.

Usually, this means they stop taking a stroll down every fairway on every throw to look at the basket. Which has nothing to do with distractions.

But, if - and this is purely theoretical because I've never seen a warning not work - they did continue to play slow, remember you do not have to convince the thrower the area was clear and free. If you and another player on the card agree they should have thrown sooner, the call stands. The next recourse for the player is to appeal to the TD.

The rules are set up so there is no cause for arguing among players on the card if you follow the procedures in the rules.

Over the course of my time playing PDGA tournaments (I don't play a ton each year, but I have played several each year for the last 14 years), I have voiced a warning 3 times. (Including a foot fault, back when the rule required a warning before a penalty on the next violation, and slow play once.) One of those times things worked out the way you describe, the player thanked me and amended his actions. We were all the happier for it. The other two times the player became disgruntled and made life miserable for everyone else on the card for the rest of the day and both other card-mates were ticked off at me for the misery that ensued.

In the last few years I have had a couple of conversations with someone on the card about the behavior or play or another person on the card wherein I tried to convince them that we should call a violation or give a warning the next time the player did that thing. Both times the other player discouraged me from doing it and told me he would not second it bc he didn't want to get involved. I have learned from this that if I start talking about rules violations, I am seen as the guy who doesn't want to have any fun and who takes all this stuff way too seriously.

In a tournament last year a player on my card reported an incorrect score for a hole. All the rest of us looked at each other and it was clear to me that I was the only one who was going to speak up. I simply asked, "Are you sure?" What followed was fully ten minutes of the guy walking around, gesticulating wildly, and yelling in general and at me in particular. By that time the card behind us had caught up and he pled his case to those 4 guys for a few more minutes. Finally the three of us agreed on his proper score and we recorded it. He glared at me for the rest of the round and no one spoke for those last several holes other than to say a score number. I should note that the next morning before the final round he came up to me and apologized, which was good, since we were playing together again.

I'm not saying that this is how it should be. I wish we could all just separate our feelings and self-identity from our disc golf play and call all the violations without emotional reactions and relational cost.

It's true that "the rules are set up so there is no cause for arguing among players," but I've rarely seen a call of any kind made during a round that didn't create lingering bad feelings for the rest of the round and sometimes into a future tournament. Sorry for the essay. I will continue to do my best to call the rules violations that I think will be enforceable and I'm definitely willing to be "that guy" on things like improper reporting of a score or other obvious errors.