• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Approved Baskets for the Pro Tour

As far as band vs no band, I don't see much of a difference in how they catch. Obviously there's a few inches of metal above the assembly on the banded baskets, and many of the others have tall number things attached to those. Those affect discs going right above the basket, but now how it catches.
I see the cross chain baskets (Mach X, Prodigy) to be very different front the regular chains. This seems much more drastic to me. It takes a heavier putt to push in the chains on the cross chains, light putts can glance off. As a push putter I really notice this. We've got two nine hole courses in town, one with Discatchers and one with Prodigy, and I can really tell the difference on them. Yes, you don't get the putts that go diagonal and slide through the chains n the Prodigys, but that's really not something that happens to me much on the discatchers. But the guys that really fire hard into the basket likely feel different than me.
But I generally feel as comfortable on the DGA style baskets as I do the Discatchers when I play them. And I'm generally comfortable on the Prodigys, I've played them enough now to change my putting style on them and put a bit more on the putts.

The band stops high putts IMO vs skip off the top.

Otherwise it is all just chains.. Do we want putt proof baskets?

Last edited:
Come watch the Pro Tour. Please don't feed the monkeys.

logo_monkey.jpg

New DGPT marketing slogan? I like it, although I'll admit this post almost caused me to spray my screen with coffee this morning! ;)

1983 Dave D. Invented the beveled edge disc.
1984 Dave D. Files patent for the Mach II (with the dual chain innovation).

Once agan JC is spot on! :thmbup:

The DGA Mach I Patent: The Invention of the First Disc Golf Basket – 1977
The DGA Mach II Patent: The Invention of Inner Chains – 1984
The DGA Mach III Patent: The Invention of Crossing Chain Links- 1988
The DGA Mach V Patent: The Invention of Sliding Link – 1999

I'm confused, is the Mach II innova or DGA.

And which came first, the patent or in the field modifications? Just curious if anyone knows.

As far as band vs no band, I don't see much of a difference in how they catch. Obviously there's a few inches of metal above the assembly on the banded baskets, and many of the others have tall number things attached to those. Those affect discs going right above the basket, but now how it catches.
I see the cross chain baskets (Mach X, Prodigy) to be very different front the regular chains. This seems much more drastic to me. It takes a heavier putt to push in the chains on the cross chains, light putts can glance off. As a push putter I really notice this. We've got two nine hole courses in town, one with Discatchers and one with Prodigy, and I can really tell the difference on them. Yes, you don't get the putts that go diagonal and slide through the chains n the Prodigys, but that's really not something that happens to me much on the discatchers. But the guys that really fire hard into the basket likely feel different than me.
But I generally feel as comfortable on the DGA style baskets as I do the Discatchers when I play them. And I'm generally comfortable on the Prodigys, I've played them enough now to change my putting style on them and put a bit more on the putts.

I agree with this. Any style is the same for everyone in the tournament. Slight adjustments could be needed based on putting style, but adjusting shots to fit a course or tournament is part of the game.

LOVE THESE TARGETS! Russ Burns does amazing hand-crafted work. It's nearly impossible to hit the pole on these as Russ uses a much heavier gauge chain. So you do get what I call true spit outs with softer putts as they something don't go far enough into the trap.

He is consideration a modification I recommended of lighter gauge on the outside and heavier on the inside which should appease those that say you have to putt too hard at a Monkey Trap to get it to stick.

Definitely the basket of choice in the region and what I use for practice at the office.

I'm confused, is the Mach II innova or DGA.

And which came first, the patent or in the field modifications? Just curious if anyone knows.

The Mach II is DGA, as are all the Mach baskets.

Ed filed for the dual chain patent, as JC alluded to, after determining smaller diameter discs were causing pole bounce outs and blow throughs with the existing single chain row setup at the time. The patent applications are great reading! Here's an excerpt from the Mach II patent application:

Entrapment devices for use in the game and which are designed to capture a disc which impacts a post are known in the prior art. See, for example, U.S. Pat. No. 4,039,189 (of which I am a co-inventor). The device disclosed in this patent includes a post with an inverted basket mounted on the post, and a group of chains (8 or more) with the upper ends thereof mounted above the basket in a circle and the lower ends extending into the basket. The device described in the above patent, while functioning very satisfactorily with large, lightweight discs (e.g., 23 centimeters or more in diameter and about 100 grams in weight), does not always capture discs which are smaller and heavier. Smaller and heavier discs, for example, having a diameter of 21 centimeters (cm) and a weight up to 175 grams, when thrown travel faster and farther than the large, lightweight discs. For this reason the smaller, heavier discs have become very popular for use in the game. However, it has been observed that a disc of 21 cm diameter and weighing approximately 175 grams has enough kinetic energy to separate the chains, hit the post of the prior art device and bounce back several feet or separate the chains, miss the post and exit through the chains on the other side. In either event the entrapment device does not capture the disc and the unlucky player's score will be greater than it should be.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4461484

Last edited:
The Mach II is DGA, as are all the Mach baskets.

Ed filed for the dual chain patent, as JC alluded to, after determining smaller diameter discs were causing pole bounce outs and blow throughs with the existing single chain row setup at the time. The patent applications are great reading! Here's an excerpt from the Mach II patent application:

Entrapment devices for use in the game and which are designed to capture a disc which impacts a post are known in the prior art. See, for example, U.S. Pat. No. 4,039,189 (of which I am a co-inventor). The device disclosed in this patent includes a post with an inverted basket mounted on the post, and a group of chains (8 or more) with the upper ends thereof mounted above the basket in a circle and the lower ends extending into the basket. The device described in the above patent, while functioning very satisfactorily with large, lightweight discs (e.g., 23 centimeters or more in diameter and about 100 grams in weight), does not always capture discs which are smaller and heavier. Smaller and heavier discs, for example, having a diameter of 21 centimeters (cm) and a weight up to 175 grams, when thrown travel faster and farther than the large, lightweight discs. For this reason the smaller, heavier discs have become very popular for use in the game. However, it has been observed that a disc of 21 cm diameter and weighing approximately 175 grams has enough kinetic energy to separate the chains, hit the post of the prior art device and bounce back several feet or separate the chains, miss the post and exit through the chains on the other side. In either event the entrapment device does not capture the disc and the unlucky player's score will be greater than it should be.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4461484

You wrote that Dave D. had the patent, that's what caused the confusion. It seemed as if he, DD, made the leveled edge disc, then filed a patent for a device that could better catch it by your post. Of course, I may still not understand?

On the other hand, it is clear that Ed was thinking about the mods introduced, and bounce outs. But that should not come as a surprise.

That also leaves unanswered, did Ed have the idea, or did it occur organically on courses, and he was just savvy enough to drop a patent on the idea?

You wrote that Dave D. had the patent, that's what caused the confusion. It seemed as if he, DD, made the leveled edge disc, then filed a patent for a device that could better catch it by your post. Of course, I may still not understand?

Oh sorry, yeah that was a mistake! Crap I wish I could edit to fix that, thanks for pointing that out though.

The kids all fire their putts in a 100mph. So Prodigy is all the rage. I'd rather putt on the homemade baskets at my local course and listen to the kids gripe about them and 3 putt.

well lile, i would say to reduce random outcomes primarily.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Headrick was attempting to replicate throwing a disc to a person when he designed the polehole. Don't you want that guy to catch the darn thing?

Random Outcomes is the key here. If it were as simple as "adjust your putt" for a Chainstar that would be one thing, but what Dana and other pros are getting at, IMO, is that the spit out margin is too narrow to expect a player to "adjust" their style. In my experience Chainstars spit putts that would of otherwise stayed in if the putt would have entered the chain assembly less than an inch all 4 ways (up, down, left, right). So, these spit outs are not something the player can reasonably overcome once you get past 20 feet or so, and therefore, create random outcomes, which is what you want to minimize in competition as much as possible.

It's the same logic with fairways in the woods. A 6 foot gap 250 FT down a fairway is bad. On the surface, it's fair, because you just have to "hit the gap", but any good player knows that is just a crap shoot kind of shot.

Titans should be on the list fo sho though.