• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Approved Baskets for the Pro Tour

Interesting, I've only seen the 7" Chainstars and that's still what their website shows.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Chainstar ends up with the deeper basket since DGA makes them and may not supply the 7" any more now that the DGA baskets use the 10".

It wouldn't surprise me if the Chainstar ends up with the deeper basket since DGA makes them and may not supply the 7" any more now that the DGA baskets use the 10".

Would they need re-approval since that would require other changes as well? Can't just slap on a 10" cage since that would reduce the catch area by 3". The pdf link you posted still shows the 7" depth for the Chainstar.

They might need to adjust the length of the pipe and/or drill hole positions. We approved the deeper basket for DGA targets already so I'm not sure re-approval would be needed depending on how Discraft decided to reconfigure it.

They might need to adjust the length of the pipe and/or drill hole positions. We approved the deeper basket for DGA targets already so I'm not sure re-approval would be needed depending on how Discraft decided to reconfigure it.

I see that -- the Trapper Basket 2 -- same catch area so yes something had to give, maybe just lowered the mounting point of the cage. The deeper ones are nice in that I get almost 3" more of cage to hit! ;)

I've seen chainstars with the same deep three ring basket as the mach x I think. That's what they have up at rapscallion.

For what it's worth, the baskets at Rapscallion are DGA Mach Vs, not Chainstars. But as others have said, it's probably only a matter of time before the deeper basket is available for Chainstars since DGA manufactures them.

that is one thing i like about the dgwt, they bring their own baskets along. No variables that way, No stolen or damaged or crappy baskets will affect the tourney.

Paul McBeth mentioned to me that Vista doesn't have any of these baskets for the Memorial, but Steve Dodge let me know that Vista will get an upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised to see either a) the events going that route, with new sets of baskets incoming for the season or b) the tour itself purchasing a set of baskets/having a sponsor donate a set for use at courses that may not be able to afford the upgrade on their own yet.

I want to see an event with 18 different baskets.

Then you should enter the Lemmon Drop near Tucson, usually in early June, at Ski Valley, the southernmost ski resort in the US. The Mount Lemmon course is 27 holes played with 27 different approved baskets, all with double chains. You take the ski lift up and play either the 13- or 14-holes sides down the mountain, then switch to play the other side after lunch. But I have to warn you, this B-tier tournament is very popular and registration fills out very quickly.

"Crappy baskets" have never 'affect'(ed) a tournament; only crappy putts for THOSE baskets.

I think Sam Grazafi, out of Dallas, lost a big tourney once in the 90's when his disc fell out of the bottom of the basket. That guy was Nikko before Nikko. 5'7" 135lbs soaking wet and could throw a mile.

If Chainstars don't make the approved list, how will this sit with Discraft? Discraft has been a huge sponsor the past few years (and then some) of some big events. Some of the biggest pro purses of recent years are due to Discrafts sponsorship/support.
A few of which are on the DGPT this year- Memorial, Ledgestone, Green Mountain.

Maybe it's a non-issue for them? I like the Chainstar, but it's no secret that it spits out a lot of good putts a higher rate than say the Discatcher or MachX.

It's interesting how pronouncements about this basket or that basket model being better or worse are being made without any formal test data. I can see choosing specific Championship approved baskets for an event or tour based on sponsorship support. And certainly there's no problem stating personal preferences for whatever reasons. But we have yet to see any statistical testing to validate ongoing anecdotal judgments from players about how well some targets catch versus others.

True, Chuck, though in DGPT's defense at least they polled touring pros. Those players haven't done a formal scientific study but at least they have a volume of anecdotal evidence, having played lots of courses, and tend to putt better than, say, people like me. And whether or not they're right about the baskets' catching performances, they seem to know what they like, and don't.

As opposed to, say, people like myself, who may have played on a lot of baskets but predominantly on 1 or 2 models, and who like to blame the baskets for not catching our not-quite-accurate putts.

I might question the need for a higher standard on baskets, but it's not my show.

Not throwing shade on DGPT's target choices or methods which are perfectly legit. Just commenting on players who make choices based on perception of how well a model catches without any data support. While it would be interesting to do formal testing, it's not clear how that would or could be done in a fair way to satisfy the various manufacturers whose products might be impacted.

It's interesting how pronouncements about this basket or that basket model being better or worse are being made without any formal test data. I can see choosing specific Championship approved baskets for an event or tour based on sponsorship support. And certainly there's no problem stating personal preferences for whatever reasons. But we have yet to see any statistical testing to validate ongoing anecdotal judgments from players about how well some targets catch versus others.

Are you trying to tell me that Chainstars don't reject (spit or cut through) "good putts" at a higher rate than a Discatcher or MachX?

Or are you saying you won't make a judgement until there is some sort of statistical testing to validate your anecdotal judgement?

Just saying I haven't seen any formal testing of any targets or even a proposed way to do it.

Latest posts