• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Championship New Format...How Does It work?

Sheridan

Bogey Member
So the players get stroke advantages based upon final standings for the first two rounds? Who gets them and how many? Had a look around and have not come up with the formula.

Not happy the old format was abandoned. Thought it was a fun and unique watch.

It's like they are trying to prevent things like Nathan Queen winning from happening. Boo.
I don't know, I think someone like him would still have a pretty decent chance at winning. At least as long as they play well enough to make the cut into the top 12 after the first two days. To me it seemed like the decision was made in hopes that having the top names playing during the first two rounds would attract more spectators/viewers during those rounds.

Think of it this way... the first round is really the second round. The imaginary first round is what the top dogs scored on average during the season. Thats why they are starting in negative score.

Never really liked the previous format. Cinderella stories for sure but... nah

Lets see how the score reset works. Someone with a huge lead after 2 rounds to lose it with one stroke might feel salty. But it is what it is, this time.

One thing I liked about the previous setup is that it showcased different players each round. So if you'd played well enough during the season to get into the Championship, but not quite well enough to be on much coverage, here was your chance.

With this format it seems most likely we'll be seeing even more of the top 4-12 players, every round.

Last edited:
Hope the DGN cameras are pretty active today because there's no reason at all to cover this lead card given the format.

Hope the DGN cameras are pretty active today because there's no reason at all to cover this lead card given the format.
To this point the only players under par for the round (in actual shots thrown) are also players with an advantage to begin with. This format is heavy yawn.

Instead of giving strokes, what if the higher seeds got mulligans? :)

Seeds 9-12 get two strokes (total for both rounds). That is only one stroke per round to overcome for the 32nd seeded player to get to the finals, where scores totally reset, and everyone starts on equal footing.

I actually like the format. You want most of the top names in the final, but this does give several others a decent chance to get there as well over two rounds if they are playing well. And if you play poorly, then you are certainly not guaranteed a spot in the finals.

Players also have to be incentivized throughout the year to want to do well in the points standings, since other than strokes or byes in this final tourney, they really get nothing. Maybe they should also get cash if they finish in the top 3, or 5, or whatever.

Instead of giving strokes, what if the higher seeds got mulligans? :)

Seeds 9-12 get two strokes (total for both rounds). That is only one stroke per round to overcome for the 32nd seeded player to get to the finals, where scores totally reset, and everyone starts on equal footing.

I actually like the format. You want most of the top names in the final, but this does give several others a decent chance to get there as well over two rounds if they are playing well. And if you play poorly, then you are certainly not guaranteed a spot in the finals.

Players also have to be incentivized throughout the year to want to do well in the points standings, since other than strokes or byes in this final tourney, they really get nothing. Maybe they should also get cash if they finish in the top 3, or 5, or whatever.
I just heard on the Jomez practice round for this tournament that the player's receive $2500 at a minimum....so if they just play one round and are dead last, they still leave with $2500. I think that is incentive enough to get into the tournament.

Watching R1 on YouTube, the MPO seems to be guns blazing. Lots of surprising tree hits.

Not sure why. I suppose if you are on top with bonus strokes, being aggressive is low risk.

May be coverage choice, but lots of big putts/throw ins from distance.

I believe they've said that ties will go to the higher ranked player? Ie if Calvin were on the bubble and his score tied another player on the bubble Calvin would get the tie breaker?

Not thrilled about that. The other player would be 6 strokes better on the day and yet tied. Seems to me the first tie breaker should be performance at the event.

I dont think the scores will follow into the finals . . Kristin, Missy, Calvin can just play safe in R2..no way they miss the finals.

I know it's a bit rough around the edges and in my opinion not as good as WR Jackson, but I wish they just held Champions' Cup on this course in like late April/early May next year.

It's hard, it's wooded, it's nicely placed, looks pretty fun and varied, too. Having no (MPO) Majors for the first 5 months of the season and then having all 4 Majors every 4 weeks towards the end is such a terrible idea.

I know it's a bit rough around the edges and in my opinion not as good as WR Jackson, but I wish they just held Champions' Cup on this course in like late April/early May next year.

It's hard, it's wooded, it's nicely placed, looks pretty fun and varied, too. Having no (MPO) Majors for the first 5 months of the season and then having all 4 Majors every 4 weeks towards the end is such a terrible idea.
I agree. I like this course until they get to the playing on the athletic fields part.

I agree. I like this course until they get to the playing on the athletic fields part.
I am just glad those last two holes are clearly temporary holes. I think the designs function well at creating a couple of open holes that allow for score separation - which is good for adding variety for the Championship. I also like the way they are designed where more aggressive plays are going to flirt more with the OB. More importantly I think they designed them because they allow for a two hole playoff loop in the open at a time of year where the sun is setting earlier, where they might even be able to use the lights. But living fifteen minutes from Nevin, I would hate to have to play those holes during my casual rounds.

To be honest though, I am just bummed they aren't playing OG Nevin Hole 7. That 202 foot hole seemed like a nice change of pace from what we normally see the touring pros play, and seemed to still create issues for some players. Last year that hole saw 11 birdies, 22 pars, 6 bogeys, and 1 double bogey.

Watching R1 on YouTube, the MPO seems to be guns blazing. Lots of surprising tree hits.

Not sure why. I suppose if you are on top with bonus strokes, being aggressive is low risk.
I get the concept of trying to reward those who've played the best all season , but not sure "free strokes" below par is the best way to do that.

That said, I can't blame top seeds for using the first round or two to really push the envelope on aggressive play, because as you pointed out, it's pretty low risk in their case.

Given that everyone who makes the finals is on a level playing field when the scores reset, having a good idea of just where you can push it, and where you can't, could very well make a difference in final standings.

With the kind of money they're playing for, every notch up the leader board makes a difference.

$$$$ talks.

Last edited:
As a viewer, I don't care for this course at all. I'm not enjoying watching it, and the players don't appear to be enjoying themselves either. They drive and hit a tree, then scramble and a hit a tree, and then they are left with a putt from circle two or beyond. Wash, rinse and repeat. This course is the polar opposite of those wide open golf courses, but just as predictable and boring.