• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should the DGPT Matchplay BECOME the DGPT Championship?

September Madness for the Chip?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emoney

* Ace Member *
I like to think outside the box. Thinking in terms of getting the biggest audience/viewers and having a big season finale with importance. I think this would be dope, and must-watch for disc golfers, and a broader audience...

*Play at a more balanced course.
*Double the number of players in the matchplay(so we can have a nice big bracket to fill out).
*Have the dgpt tour standings determine seeding.
*Have a big azz cash prize/trophy with the weight and importance of it being for the CHAMPIONSHIP!

We play plenty of straight golf throughout the year.

Why not try something new for the tours finale?

October madness!

Last edited:
both are stupid and forced

but you know grow the hobby

I agree it feels forced and like some kind of cash grab...

Maybe adding the dgpt championship to it will give it more importance and pressure?? Idk just a thought of how to combine the dgpt championship with matchplay.

Get the ppl excited

I think it's OK for a stand alone event, but don't think I'd enjoy it for the DGPT championship.

If Mods could please change poll question to October instead of september... thank you

It's probably just the course that threw me off, but I couldn't watch more than five minutes of the match play. So I voted no.

Maybe with the op suggestions I could be swayed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a match play event during the season, but I wouldn't necessarily want it as a final event.
Also, there should be a lot more players probably 32, maybe 64.

The PGA's match play event is excellent, 64 players in 4 pools, but it is a 5 day tournament and kind of a complicated system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_WGC-Dell_Technologies_Match_Play

This sums it up. I didn't hate this event, but it wasn't great. OTOH, I don't want to dismiss it or the format. I believe match play can make for s entertaining format.

I just don't like watching match play. Watched a lot of golf in my life. Never cared for the Ryder Cup/President's Cup/Match Play Championship/USGA Championship.

Disc golf is no different.

I just don't like watching match play. Watched a lot of golf in my life. Never cared for the Ryder Cup/President's Cup/Match Play Championship/USGA Championship.

Disc golf is no different.

I tend to agree. Match play is great fun to play (most fun events of the year for me are both team match play) but considerably less fun to watch than stroke play.

I think match play could be interesting but I don't like this format. Any hole that is tied is a throw away which is annoying. Not entirely sure why, it just is. This format rewards being one shot better on X number of holes as opposed to being better in total over a set number of holes. A match where all holes are played (9 or 12 or 18) and scored as per normal, would I think be more interesting.

I think match play could be interesting but I don't like this format. Any hole that is tied is a throw away which is annoying. Not entirely sure why, it just is. This format rewards being one shot better on X number of holes as opposed to being better in total over a set number of holes. A match where all holes are played (9 or 12 or 18) and scored as per normal, would I think be more interesting.

I think the thing that makes match play less interesting to watch applies to pretty much any head to head format- fewer players yields less potential variation yields less drama overall.= also no real opportunities to cut away to a more interesting group. At least with match play once it is over it is over- head to head stroke play could be effectively over just a few holes in and still have to drub through the remaining holes.

Golf course also is not the ideal locale for match play imo.

I know there are two things I didn't like about the match play event.

1. I don't like bracket play in golf, or any many vs. many sport (track/racing/etc.). It gets less interesting as it goes on because there is less happening. Brackets make sense for sports that are inherently 1v1 matchups.
2a. The holes weren't great. There were some good shots on the course at points, like hole 2 or the tee shot on that uphill hole with the low ceiling. But many of the holes were too straightforward to me. There were so many downhill hyzer shots with the only miss being "if you hyzer too much." I could probably be more articulate if I'd taken the time to watch more of it, but I got bored after the first round.

2b. Additionally, the course was poor, especially for match play. First, the course being only 12 holes made it worse. Guys were getting down by 2 and would start throwing riskier shots in order to catch up (presumably because there were so few holes), only to put them in worse positions. And for MPO, hole 12 was a terrible finishing hole. Everyone that got to it scored a 3, except for Chris Dickerson in day 1. He got a 4, and it took a below average drive, below average approach, and below average putt for his 4. For the top guys, there was almost no chance that one of them would take a 2, meaning if you were tied going into hole 12, you'd come out of it tied. That's not great drama.

Shows how little I'm paying attention.... I had assumed that the Match Play Championship was a replacement for the typical Pro Tour Championship, until I just now saw this thread.

Not seeing anything at a glance on the DGPT website about the following: Is the format the same as in previous years, stroke play with elimination rounds? I am a very big fan of that format for the championship.

Shows how little I'm paying attention.... I had assumed that the Match Play Championship was a replacement for the typical Pro Tour Championship, until I just now saw this thread.

Not seeing anything at a glance on the DGPT website about the following: Is the format the same as in previous years, stroke play with elimination rounds? I am a very big fan of that format for the championship.

12 holes. You win the hole, you win a point. Tie, essentially nothing (halves).

So, a player gets up by enough points that there are not enough holes to catch up, match over. 4 person card with 2 1v1's at the same time.

As everyone has said, there just wasn't any real drama to the action. Even when it was close or went to playoff holes, it didn't provide a lot of interest. I think one reason is the bolf layout with some tight OB in places. The tee shots were generally uninteresting and the upshot was equally uninteresting. Not much opportunity for scramble plays, no challenging putts through trees.

Eagle was dominant in the first three rounds with his distance and his putting was dialed. The final round, his putting was off and that cost him.

Missy Gannon was putting exceptionally well in the FPO final which made it interesting. It was nice to the ladies making some big putts.

12 holes. You win the hole, you win a point. Tie, essentially nothing (halves).

So, a player gets up by enough points that there are not enough holes to catch up, match over. 4 person card with 2 1v1's at the same time.

As everyone has said, there just wasn't any real drama to the action. Even when it was close or went to playoff holes, it didn't provide a lot of interest. I think one reason is the bolf layout with some tight OB in places. The tee shots were generally uninteresting and the upshot was equally uninteresting. Not much opportunity for scramble plays, no challenging putts through trees.

Eagle was dominant in the first three rounds with his distance and his putting was dialed. The final round, his putting was off and that cost him.

Missy Gannon was putting exceptionally well in the FPO final which made it interesting. It was nice to the ladies making some big putts.

Wait, so the tour championship is also going to be match play? Back to back match play tournaments and deciding the entire tour championship on match play is really dumb, IMO.

Match play has been some of the most fun rounds I've played, but it's not quite as exciting to watch. I partially wonder if this is because am's are still laying up at the 60-100' range whereas the top MPO's are running those, so watching pro match play it doesn't come off as the heroic big shot that we talk about after the round, it's just "Ricky making another outside C2 putt"

I do think pro match play is very exciting to watch when it's the playoff after a tournament. Klein vs Marwede was some excellent drama.

I think something like this would be more interesting at the beginning of the season. Everybody craving some dg coverage, can use the trash talking interviews to build a little hype for the upcoming season…

I agree with the comments about it being fairly dull to watch. Typically tweener par holes are bad on courses but for something like this I think they'd work well. It's possible to pick up a stroke with a riskier shot, just depends on how bad the player wants to go for it. Instead it seemed like a lot of play it safe and let the other person make the mistake.

Logistically the early season match play would be tough to swing since the seeds are based on your points. You could use the previous season points potentially. Or maybe have it as the next event after Worlds…kinda use it as a mid season All Star break?

Yeah no. Agree with everyone who says the format is fun to play but a drone to watch, no matter how much T. Miller tells us that he is on a roller coaster of emotion watching it. There's a reason for the ratings difference between the Ryder Cup and the Masters.