• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Discraft's Great Lakes Open July 23-25

Paige's always going for it attitude doesn't necessarily work out for her all the time, but I'd still say it works for her more often than it doesn't. That said, she'd be truly deadly if she picked her spots a bit more judiciously. It's shocking to see her struggle with C1 putting, because we're used to her putting the lights out.

That said I think DGLO gave us good look at what Kristin is capable of. During her post tourny interview she said she just wasn't feeling herself the last few events, which is understandable having to travel from Europe and quarantine, and getting thrust right into World's.

I wonder why she didn't hit a couple of events prior to World's, just to get her feet wet, but maybe that wasn't viable option, or perhaps she'd already committed to certain events in Europe.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Kristin. She has the distance, putting and tenacity to compete with Paige, Cat, and Hailey (when Hailey's on her game). That putt on 17, from well outside C1, and from below the basket, was putting with power. You don't see that sorta thing in FPO.
That putt was sick. Watching it on live coverage was sweet

sad news. maybe next summer I will make it up to play it. I've waited 12 years so what's one more :wall:

Generally the week after USADGC or the week before practice week of DGLO are the best times. The course is all polished up and ready for prime time.

I would plan to get here to tee off by 8 am at the latest. The course is crowded most of the time and is a long, tedious round in the best of circumstances.

Last night or early this morning. Sad day. :(

I got my 3 rounds in this year, so not devastated, but...

For those who live up there, why exactly DO they pull the baskets so quickly? Seems like they are missing out on so much income. It costs to get into the park, and again to play. And just when the course is looking its best, and so many people just saw it, and would love to come play it---it is gone.

I would absolutely love to play it in the fall. Has there ever been any discussions about leaving baskets in longer? Or am I beating a dead horse?

IIRC, environmental concerns (not sure which) are why it's not in year round. TBH, I'm surprised they installed concrete tees...

IIRC, environmental concerns (not sure which) are why it's not in year round. TBH, I'm surprised they installed concrete tees...

"Environmentally sensitive area" is what I be been told in the past. But I'm not sure I buy that. If it's truly environmentally sensitive, they shouldn't allow a course or other human intrusion on any regular basis, and I doubt they'd have poured tee pads, or basically bulldozed to eliminate invasive Russian olive (i.e. they'd had been more "surgical" in it's removal. They were anything but surgical. They decimated a bunch of vegetation, and let the native stuff grow back slowly).

Quite honestly, previous park mgt seemed to regret ever having allowed DG to be played in that section of the park, and did what they could to limit weeks of operation.

Seems park mgt has taken a different stance in the past few years than they have in the past, by basically embracing it and charging a few bucks more to play Toboggan. I was more shocked than anyone when they poured concrete. That tells me the park has really embraced it and they plan to have a recurring "Toboggan season." If only we can convince them to keep it open a little longer.

It's kind of a shame to have it in such great shape for DGLO, only to pull the plug immediately. They could probs keep it in another week or so without any additional mowing.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Discraft actually owns those baskets, not the park. If Discraft decides they want their baskets back, I'm not sure the park can say anything.

Last edited:
"Environmentally sensitive area" is what I be been told in the past. But I'm not sure I buy that. If it's truly environmentally sensitive, they shouldn't allow a course or other human intrusion on any regular basis, and I doubt they'd have poured tee pads, or basically bulldozed to eliminate invasive Russian olive (i.e. they'd had been more "surgical" in it's removal. They were anything but surgical. They decimated a bunch of vegetation, and let the native stuff grow back slowly).

Quite honestly, previous park mgt seemed to regret ever having allowed DG to be played in that section of the park, and did what they could to limit weeks of operation.

Seems park mgt has taken a different stance in the past few years than they have in the past, by basically embracing it and charging a few bucks more to play Toboggan. I was more shocked than anyone when they poured concrete. That tells me the park has really embraced it and they plan to have a recurring "Toboggan season." If only we can convince them to keep it open a little longer.

It's kind of a shame to have it in such great shape for DGLO, only to pull the plug immediately. They could probs keep it in another week or so without any additional mowing.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Discraft actually owns those baskets, not the park. If Discraft decides they want their baskets back, I'm not sure the park can say anything.

Terrific post by Bogey and I think he is right on. Last year they left the course open for longer. Kensington is a very sandy area and park. The erosion on the two other courses on sight is amongst the worst I have seen.

The temp nature certainly adds to the challenge. If this course was open all year, the rough would get beaten down and that would decrease the punitive value.

If this course was open all year, the rough would get beaten down and that would decrease the punitive value.

I wonder if this is the crux of it from the park's standpoint. While we don't like landing in it, the rough is what makes the area what it is. I can see not wanting a bunch of huckers like me constantly going off-fairway 6 months a year and treading down 3 acres per round cause its so hard to find stuff in there.

Just curious--has anyone on here asked (or know someone who has) the park department why its not kept in place longer? Everything said here makes sense, but with new attitudes being shown (concrete pads) maybe no one has given it much thought? Is it simply because Discraft pulls the baskets right away? Would the park even care if they were there longer?

I know I know--just shush and enjoy it the 2 months it IS in...:)

Her new 'Passion' disc likely cost her the win. In Round 3, hole 1, she hugely over-turned it, going deep in the rough, ended up taking a triple bogey. On hole 3, she again over-turned it, went in deep right (where discs go to die), ended up getting a 5, which is almost a 2 stroke penalty, as she had gotten 3 the prior round.

Not sure what that disc is supposed to do, but it certainly is very understable out of her hands, and holds that line. Great for long turnover shots, but that's not what either of those 2 holes demand. They both need a disc to quit turning about 300' in and start to fade out. She may have just mis-thrown it both times too.

My first thought after seeing that shot in the final round: how about stop over-preferencing the signature discs and throw something approprite.

Sure that disc could work but is it the most reliable tho

I wonder if this is the crux of it from the park's standpoint. While we don't like landing in it, the rough is what makes the area what it is. I can see not wanting a bunch of huckers like me constantly going off-fairway 6 months a year and treading down 3 acres per round cause its so hard to find stuff in there.

Just curious--has anyone on here asked (or know someone who has) the park department why its not kept in place longer? Everything said here makes sense, but with new attitudes being shown (concrete pads) maybe no one has given it much thought? Is it simply because Discraft pulls the baskets right away? Would the park even care if they were there longer?

I know I know--just shush and enjoy it the 2 months it IS in...:)

I kind of like it being temporary, keeps it a little more special. Maybe keep it open another few weeks if possible.

They already have two permanent 18 hole courses on site which require quite a bit or mowing. Add in a monster like Toboggan and it would be a lot more work to maintain all three of them.

Her new 'Passion' disc likely cost her the win. In Round 3, hole 1, she hugely over-turned it, going deep in the rough, ended up taking a triple bogey. On hole 3, she again over-turned it, went in deep right (where discs go to die), ended up getting a 5, which is almost a 2 stroke penalty, as she had gotten 3 the prior round.

Not sure what that disc is supposed to do, but it certainly is very understable out of her hands, and holds that line. Great for long turnover shots, but that's not what either of those 2 holes demand. They both need a disc to quit turning about 300' in and start to fade out. She may have just mis-thrown it both times too.

My first thought after seeing that shot in the final round: how about stop over-preferencing the signature discs and throw something approprite.

Sure that disc could work but is it the most reliable tho

She actually threw it on hole 16 as well, and very poorly. This time however she sawed it off and it hyzered off into the rough on the left. Without a well thrown tricky forehand approach, her "Passion" would've bled another stroke.

I've heard her compare the disc to a former favorite of hers, the Stalker. Also called a "longer Buzzz" it's supposedly supposed to fly with the stability of a midrange with the distance of a fairway driver. Any time I had tried to throw a Stalker tho, it seemed flipper and more finicky than a Buzzz, but that could just be anecdotal.

Just watched the rounds again. . .and i dont feel like blaming the disc, i blame Paige.
She really misses her line. . alot.

And the 2nd throw on hole 1 R1 was even worse than her first( what was she thinking?!?)....and that was BAAAD.

I kind of like it being temporary, keeps it a little more special. Maybe keep it open another few weeks if possible.

They already have two permanent 18 hole courses on site which require quite a bit or mowing. Add in a monster like Toboggan and it would be a lot more work to maintain all three of them.

Agree everything FP said.

While I'd really prefer the Toboggan season to be in fall (rather than June-July), probably not feasible given the the DGPT schedule and when they hit the midwest.

Maybe open with DGLO in late Jul, and move USADGC to late Sep.... but it's not like Aug is any cooler than July. :\ ...plus it may not be easy to push USADGC out 3 months.

It's just so damned hot and muggy when the course is open. Being able to play in more favorable weather would kinda be a game changer, especially with all the hills you gotta climb with the sun bearing down on you.

< has forgotten how to "man up."

It's just so damned hot and muggy when the course is open. Being able to play in more favorable weather would kinda be a game changer, especially with all the hills you gotta climb with the sun bearing down on you.

< has forgotten how to "man up."
Though the sweat sometimes makes the thorns sort of slide off your body, so they don't penetrate as much.
<Trying to find some positives> :)

The last 2 years, we have played the week or so after USDGC. Best chance for reasonable weather. Was 90 or so last year, got one day in the mid 70s this year. Have played 6 rounds total, all during the week, never much traffic on the course. Gives us time to find our errant throws too...

Kristin hurt her shoulder in the warmup before worlds and that made her putt kind of weird the first days of worlds.
I really hope Kristin, Eveliina and Henna will play more on tour, that would make FPO really interesting…perhaps even more so than MPO

Kristin has one of the most underrated forehands in discgolf (but probably not for long after this win).

Probably the longest forehand in FPO right now? Hokom is accurate, and Hailey and Weesy can stretch them out but I think Kristin has them all beat on distance.

My favorite moment from 2021 DGLO. Round 2, FPO lead card, hole 17. Three out of 4 of the ladies end up in the bush on the right hand side of the fairway. At one point, Kristin is standing about 2 feet away from me, waiting on her card mates to throw. It's hard to see if they have thrown yet. Kristin turns to me an makes a remark about whether or not it is her turn. She looks at me & then she smiles (an 1100 rated smile). My knees went weak.

One thing I noticed watching some of the Jomez coverage: way more spectators down the fairways and really putting them selves in the line of fire,not all of whom were necessarily aware that shots were coming their way.

If you're there to watch, you need to notice when a disc is headed for you, and get out of the way. SMFH.

Eagle basically broke holes 10 & 15.
Kyle and Eagle broke #17. Those two really had a helluva duel going that final round. Really fun to watch them battle it out down the stretch.

Kristin and Paige put on a great show, too.

Living so close to a course that hosts a DGPT event pretty much every year now, makes me as happy as a dog with it's head out a car window. :)

Latest posts