• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Here's a rather wild question...Whats to stop CCDG and Jomez from covering DGPT events anyways? A lot of these events are held at public parks are they not? So, unless the municipality and/or AHJ wants to get involved in some legal sticky wicket first amendment court battle (most won't) there's no way they'll kick anyone off the park just for video taping.

I have to believe there is some legality I am missing here and I am sure someone will be along shortly to tell me what I am missing...lol

-Dave

I've tried to read all the posts here but this is my rather uneducated prediction for the DGPT in-house crapola:

DGPT produces garbage -> views are very low -> customers complain wildly -> players complain about lack of exposure -> sponsors start telling their players to go play other events covered by Jomez/CCDG to better increase coverage and eyes to their products -> Dodge quickly discovers capitalism is a b**** -> Dodge goes to Jomez and CCDG on bended knee saying something along the lines of "name your price."

To this peanut gallery guy who knows nothing about how a lot of this works...seems to me these days content is king. If players aren't coming to your event because the coverage is crap then guess what, you don't have content. Content is what makes the money. Dodge keeps this up he won't have content.

-Dave

I can totally understand wanting to take control of the media side of things, but it will be interesting to see whether the media value of the Tour has been inflated based on the popularity of the videos released by non in house teams. My suspicion is the fans will follow the media outlets not the tour.

I think we're going to see a lot of variance based on the tournaments and the players being covered. The Pro Tour is banking on fans following the players, not necessarily which media outlet they are on, but if it is a less-revered event and some of the studs don't make the top cards, viewership will suffer. On the other hand, if McBeth shoots -18 again, people will tune in no matter who has it (unless it's potato cam-level stuff).

Here's a rather wild question...Whats to stop CCDG and Jomez from covering DGPT events anyways? A lot of these events are held at public parks are they not? So, unless the municipality and/or AHJ wants to get involved in some legal sticky wicket first amendment court battle (most won't) there's no way they'll kick anyone off the park just for video taping.

I have to believe there is some legality I am missing here and I am sure someone will be along shortly to tell me what I am missing...lol

-Dave

Civility? Decency? Common sense?

Just as with the casual players who try to crash every-weekend events and play the course despite the tournament, claiming they're taxpayers too, there's a limit to how much freedom you have in a public park, particularly one that may be rented, in whole or in part, by the TD. Sure, they could shoot from the gallery or force their way onto greens, and it's doubtful anyone would pursue them for commercial use of unauthorized images. But what respectable video crew is going to do that?

Who knows? The competition between DGPT video, and the others covering Majors and NTs, might result in the bar raising for everyone.

Sure, the entire DGPT could crash. Or their video endeavors crash, and they're back to the established vendors, hat-in-hand, in 2020.

Then again, they could find themselves forced to get good, quickly, to keep up.

Serious question, not trying to be flippant but where are the fans and players loyalties?

On a personal basis the DGPT means nothing to me. I consume videos by CCDG and Jomez as long as they have at least a few top players on them. (I keep meaning to set up a Patreon account, that will be my new years resolution, sorry I haven't done this yet!) I don't watch the video because it is the Pro Tour, I watch it because it is a quality video of the top players. I only have so much viewing time so I tend to watch just top cards. i doubt I'm alone in this.

If Jomez/CCDG never filmed another Pro Tour event I would probably forget the series existed. That's not trying to be rude, I just personally have never really bought into it or the World Tour as anything more than a series of A tiers. I wonder if others have? I suspect from the outcry against this decision the majority haven't? I'm drawn more to Idelwild as I like watching the course than I am to Ledgestone as the layouts have interested me less, that both are on the pro tour are an irrelevance to me.

From a players perspective they get a greater prize pot potential from the Tour, however, in the long term media exposure seems likely to reap bigger rewards (i wonder how many Sexton Firebirds have sold off the back of big Sexy Commentary.) Paul mentions this in the recent interview. If even the players aren't that fussed about the increased payout potential are the fans?

The Tour was set up to make touring life easier with less travel between events, with higher payouts. All good moves for players. But again do the spectators care? It certainly gives something for the tour to use to get TD's to sign up to the sanctioning but beyond that whats the draw?

Who is the tour for? If it doesn't cater for the fans it can't produce the money and the logistics to cater for the pros. Are fans invested in the idea of the tour? I'm not seeing huge evidence to support this. The one thing a lot are definitely invested in is the media coverage given by three very popular videographer teams. They've now been cut loose.

There doesn't appear to be any bump in viewership figures on the Jomez pages for DGPT events vs other events filmed (if anything viewer numbers look slightly lower compared to other tournaments?) What is the fan draw to the DGPT Steve is banking on?

I can totally understand wanting to take control of the media side of things, but it will be interesting to see whether the media value of the Tour has been inflated based on the popularity of the videos released by non in house teams. My suspicion is the fans will follow the media outlets not the tour.

Whatever happens there are interesting times ahead!

Good post. Since my useless opinion was asked for, I will respond.

I am loyal to nothing, except my preference and wants. I watch to see disc golf, sometimes I enjoy top player, often enjoy FPO and sometimes enjoy lesser A Tier events with less than household names. I am interested in the courses and how players attack the holes. I enjoy the flight of a disc. DGPT sates a couple of those wants. I don't care who films it. I don't care much about the quality. The difference that Jomez/ CCDG/Smash brings is unimportant. Do I enjoy higher quality? Sure, but the fall off is not significant enough to be a deal breaker.

I don't buy discs due to video coverage, commentary or the name on the front, so I have little to add to the Sexton sales.

I agree that the DGPT is designed for touring pros, so to that end, I don't care about it either. But, it does provide for good cards of top pros, which I sometimes enjoy watching. I will say that Great Lakes Open was a spectacular event for me this year. I played the AM side and derived great joy from heading over to Toboggan with a chair and cooler to catch the last half of the Pro event. It was a huge disc golf event, mostly because of the TD, staff and volunteers, but Dodge gets some credit. To me video coverage of this event was irrelevant.

I have to say again, this DGCR collective is not very likely to speak for the disc golf masses. We are generally the top of the engagement in the sport. I am not sure that Johnny Walmart Bag is going to even know the difference between Dodge's new in house production and the great work of Jomez/CCDG/Smashboxx.

Place here in town had the Malort Wings Challenge.

Malort based sauce on 6 wings, followed by a shot of Malort.

Bahhh. That stuff is foul. It's something that Chicagoans give to out-of-towners just to see their shocked/disgusted facial expressions.

The Malort Wings Challenge sounds like torture.

I did some small sample size (n~200 and 300 respectively) polls on Facebook shortly after the news broke, and here's what I found:

Flash opinion poll 1 said:
Finish the sentence: I feel more loyalty towards _________.

A) Media Teams - 178
B) The Tour - 8

Flash Opinion Poll #2 said:
When I watch [Insert favorite channel]'s coverage of events, ________ is the most compelling element to me.

A) Who is on lead card - 213
B) Which course is being played - 70
C) Prestige of the title - 5

Editorial:

What Steve completely misunderstood about his audience is that they love the collaborative effort to bring

- their favorite players
- their favorite content creators
- their favorite commentators

together under the banner of one cohesive tour. I believe that Steve thought that it was the Tour itself that people were responding to as the strong leading element. However, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and Steve deconstructed the whole.

Now that he's done that, I was trying to understand what are the most compelling elements to people when they're not all tied together. I found that it's:

1st - players
2nd - media product
3rd - commentary*

*based on multitude of comments and likes on the 2nd poll when I didn't leave that as an option. You could also wrap commentary into media product easily, but given the response I felt it should be noted.

Notice how low the tour sits on most fans priority stack. They could trade WT for PT for NT and not really care, as long as their favorite players are there being covered by their favorite media teams.

This is not good news for the DGPT. Early (admittedly reactionary) data suggests that the dice roll for more cash came up 7 and crapped out.

The DGPT is a shell. Engagement via Jomez, CCDG, and Smashboxx trumps the idea of a pro tour. McBeth's comments were piercing and I believe, well aimed at the notion of limiting the reach of the sport is a very negative thing. I wonder aloud about who advised Steve to consider this (assuming he had advisors).

We've got a battle for power going on at DGPT facebook page...Jomez just posted (after a long silence) that they concluded negotiations for post-production work yesterday without an agreement (and wished them the best...aka, negotiation is over)....a direct conflict with Steve's post an hour ago that negotiations are ongoing...this is getting really interesting and will impact the future and direction of the sport...

Important to note that the negotiation was only for post-production work, not filming lead cards...Steve seems unwilling to move off of the in-house move for filming...which I'm sure is why Jomez is telling them to pound salt...

Jomez's announcement for those that don't have Facebook:

tIh0vI0.png

Important to note that the negotiation was only for post-production work, not filming lead cards...Steve seems unwilling to move off of the in-house move for filming...which I'm sure is why Jomez is telling them to pound salt...

I think "post-production work" means doing what they've always done (except it would be under the DGPT umbrella).

Latest posts