• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Steve is rolling the dice for sure. But, his page will NEVER reach the Jomez size unless he starts putting more content on there. And Jomez wasn't about to put their product on his page, unless the money was outrageous for them.

One year ago, Jomez's YouTube channel was at 47,093 subs. In the past year they have DOUBLED. How quickly will it take the ProTour to get there if they hold all the content? My guess is about 2-2.5 years. And do you know HOW Jomez got those numbers? They did it in 2 ways. They have great content, and they started giving away a disc after every front 9 and back 9 if you commented and subscribed. It DROVE up the numbers.

Regardless of what people say, they will still tune in to watch the DGPT if that is where the talent is. And once Dodge starts getting closer to that number that Jomez is putting up, we will THEN see how the players react.

Steve is rolling the dice for sure. But, his page will NEVER reach the Jomez size unless he starts putting more content on there. And Jomez wasn't about to put their product on his page, unless the money was outrageous for them.

One year ago, Jomez's YouTube channel was at 47,093 subs. In the past year they have DOUBLED. How quickly will it take the ProTour to get there if they hold all the content? My guess is about 2-2.5 years. And do you know HOW Jomez got those numbers? They did it in 2 ways. They have great content, and they started giving away a disc after every front 9 and back 9 if you commented and subscribed. It DROVE up the numbers.

Regardless of what people say, they will still tune in to watch the DGPT if that is where the talent is. And once Dodge starts getting closer to that number that Jomez is putting up, we will THEN see how the players react.

Yeah but you're really confident that the DGPT has the ability to put out the same quality par of content, despite their inability to do so historically.

It's not like the ONLY decision available was to try to replicate the coverage. There's so many more types of content that could be made, in cooperation with the key players, that could drive their numbers up.

Honestly, that move is so very obviously the right one that I'm scratching my head as to why nobody came up with it.

I have no idea if it means anything as I'm not sure how all the registration works...

But it is interesting that there are 166 players registered for the Las Vegas Challenge, a National Tour Event from 2/21-2/24 and only 10 players registered for the first DGPT Event the next weekend, 2/28-3/3..

I have no idea if it means anything as I'm not sure how all the registration works...

But it is interesting that there are 166 players registered for the Las Vegas Challenge, a National Tour Event from 2/21-2/24 and only 10 players registered for the first DGPT Event the next weekend, 2/28-3/3..

Registration for the Memorial opened today it looks like and only for "card carrying touring pros" or internationals.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...mpionship_Presented_by_Discraft_2019/register

...and LVC has been open for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Yeah but you're really confident that the DGPT has the ability to put out the same quality par of content, despite their inability to do so historically.

It's not like the ONLY decision available was to try to replicate the coverage. There's so many more types of content that could be made, in cooperation with the key players, that could drive their numbers up.

Honestly, that move is so very obviously the right one that I'm scratching my head as to why nobody came up with it.

No, I am in NO WAY confident that they can replicate Jomez quality. But from what we have seen on the stuff that they produced for the DGPT Finale, I think that if they truly are bringing in PSP or Gateway, they are already at least 60% of the way there. And with a little polish and some time they will get to at least 90% by the end of the year. How far off is this from Jomez?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyTmRm6VWU
Some people have already expressed that they like this scoring template better than Jomez?

Of course they need a little work on their camera skills, and probably a few more bells and whistles in After Effects. But that will come with time behind the lens and computer. And with a consistent commentator crew, they will rival Jomez & CCDG in no time.

To be clear, I am STRICTLY talking about shot by shot coverage. I don't even want to get into the other things that Dodge has put out regarding the DGPT.

No surprise that I think that reproducing the live product will be tougher. There are more moving parts and tech glitches you need to deal with on the fly.

Honestly, my biggest fear is that Steve, like normal, is going to try and take on TOO much TOO soon and all the quality will suffer. If he just took MPO1 away and brought it in house, I think that the quality would rival Jomez very quickly. But with him promising MPO1, MPO2, FPO1, & Live... that is a lot to take in. He will need a crew for each of those IF he wants them next day. That is a lot of editors and cameramen to employ. Way bigger chance that something fails or falls by the wayside.

We will know more once he reveals his media plan for 2019.

This is kind of what we decided to do with the (incredibly small) PDGA YouTube channel. We rolled out the round recaps at Worlds that were produced by Cory Murrell and with the cooperation of the media teams. Ideally we continue in that direction this season and look to fill those missing content arenas in the sport. I'd rather leave the shot-by-shot coverage to the people who do it best and have the most eyeballs.

The biggest difference here, though, is we aren't running on a for-profit model at the PDGA. And that drastically alters the calculus.

What is same quality ... uh, you know what? Never mind.

2fd8fd39-1245-4189-8224-605406030f80-andy-dwyer-surprised-parks-rec.png

This is kind of what we decided to do with the (incredibly small) PDGA YouTube channel. We rolled out the round recaps at Worlds that were produced by Cory Murrell and with the cooperation of the media teams. Ideally we continue in that direction this season and look to fill those missing content arenas in the sport. I'd rather leave the shot-by-shot coverage to the people who do it best and have the most eyeballs.

The biggest difference here, though, is we aren't running on a for-profit model at the PDGA. And that drastically alters the calculus.

Totally. I'm working on a similar approach for UWDG's new channel that we're building as well. I think there's a HUGE realm of untapped potential content for fans outside of 30 min edited coverage and 4 hour live broadcasts.

Totally. I'm working on a similar approach for UWDG's new channel that we're building as well. I think there's a HUGE realm of untapped potential content for fans outside of 30 min edited coverage and 4 hour live broadcasts.

Yeah, like take the video footage from MPO1 and MPO2 and edit them together with narration. You could model it on what happened real time, with MPO1 clearly playing the holes after MPO2, OR, you could create your own Frankenstein card with some players from each card playing simultaneously, based on who's rounds were the more interesting story.

I'm sure someone has already thought about or done this before, right?

Dodge kinda did that mix with 2 players from different cards in Utah I think. Paul & Ricky I think.

I agree with Jamie that there is a lot of potential ideas for things that are NOT shot by shot coverage. BUT... by Steve bringing it in house, he can coordinate these things without having to pay external media crews. It could be part of their weekly duties?

I hate being in the position of defending Steve's decision, because I clearly think it could have been handled differently on a number of sides. But, I can see the POTENTIAL upside. I also see where it could disappoint and backfire on him.

I'm 99% sure they've signed a contract with the DGPT that gives them media control. Maybe Nate Heinold will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong

There is a venue agreement with the TD's. I don't even remember if we have signed one in the past, but this year on our TD call a few weeks ago Dodge mentioned we would need to sign it.

Interesting thought. More than half of the tournaments I'd say are large enough to easily stand on their own, and if Jomez/CCDG are willing to film, they can all stand out from the pro tour. Something like Ledgestone doesn't need the pro tour, so I'd be interested in what value is really added to an event like that.

The DGPT adds immense value to my event. I have been a NT event and a DGPT event, and obviously I am a very pro-PDGA, but the DGPT has figured out how to run and market quality, professional events. They essentially created several top tier events out of nothing and immediately turned them in to some of the best events in the country (Idlewild, San Francisco, Jonesboro, and to a lesser extent the Utah Open, because as far as I am aware they were already a well known non sanctioned event). That's not to discount the local TD's for their work, but without the DGPT those events wouldn't have been elevated. The DGPT also brings other things that people don't think about: they do the Pro Payout now, which saves me a lot of time and its consistent for the players; they bring a lot of awesome course assets; they help coordinate all of the water stations on the courses; they help promote the event; they have staff working at the event; they add value through the Festival to the local players and spectators; they help coordinate UDisc; they bring legitimacy as I am meeting with local convention bureaus; etc etc. The PDGA NT does a great job as well and brings value in other ways (Tour rep doing course visits, PDGA trailer of assets, media assistance, etc). But its not accurate to say the DGPT doesn't add value to Ledgestone.

I should also clarify that this decision was the decision of the DGPT. I found out about the live coverage being brought in house the morning after the Smashboxx interview. The post production stuff is still up in the air and Dodge has said he is working on that. Who knows what will happen there, but if it doesn't work out it won't be a surprise to me as a TD, and probably some other TD's. If this was year 2 I would have probably thrown a hissy fit. I gave Steve my personal feelings on the subject and left it at that. But now that we are approaching year 4, we have to have some patience and trust Steve a little bit. So I told him I had faith in him and if he screwed up I would cut the rest of his hair off...

Last edited:
There is a venue agreement with the TD's. I don't even remember if we have signed one in the past, but this year on our TD call a few weeks ago Dodge mentioned we would need to sign it.

Are you saying he's put out the 2019 schedule (and even renegotiated event dates) before the TDs have contractually committed to the tour?

Are you saying he's put out the 2019 schedule (and even renegotiated event dates) before the TDs have contractually committed to the tour?

We have all committed to the Tour.

Thanks, Nate, for volunteering some info from your side of the equation.

Serious question, not trying to be flippant but where are the fans and players loyalties?

On a personal basis the DGPT means nothing to me. I consume videos by CCDG and Jomez as long as they have at least a few top players on them. (I keep meaning to set up a Patreon account, that will be my new years resolution, sorry I haven't done this yet!) I don't watch the video because it is the Pro Tour, I watch it because it is a quality video of the top players. I only have so much viewing time so I tend to watch just top cards. i doubt I'm alone in this.

If Jomez/CCDG never filmed another Pro Tour event I would probably forget the series existed. That's not trying to be rude, I just personally have never really bought into it or the World Tour as anything more than a series of A tiers. I wonder if others have? I suspect from the outcry against this decision the majority haven't? I'm drawn more to Idelwild as I like watching the course than I am to Ledgestone as the layouts have interested me less, that both are on the pro tour are an irrelevance to me.

From a players perspective they get a greater prize pot potential from the Tour, however, in the long term media exposure seems likely to reap bigger rewards (i wonder how many Sexton Firebirds have sold off the back of big Sexy Commentary.) Paul mentions this in the recent interview. If even the players aren't that fussed about the increased payout potential are the fans?

The Tour was set up to make touring life easier with less travel between events, with higher payouts. All good moves for players. But again do the spectators care? It certainly gives something for the tour to use to get TD's to sign up to the sanctioning but beyond that whats the draw?

Who is the tour for? If it doesn't cater for the fans it can't produce the money and the logistics to cater for the pros. Are fans invested in the idea of the tour? I'm not seeing huge evidence to support this. The one thing a lot are definitely invested in is the media coverage given by three very popular videographer teams. They've now been cut loose.

There doesn't appear to be any bump in viewership figures on the Jomez pages for DGPT events vs other events filmed (if anything viewer numbers look slightly lower compared to other tournaments?) What is the fan draw to the DGPT Steve is banking on?

I can totally understand wanting to take control of the media side of things, but it will be interesting to see whether the media value of the Tour has been inflated based on the popularity of the videos released by non in house teams. My suspicion is the fans will follow the media outlets not the tour.

Whatever happens there are interesting times ahead!

IME when DGPT produces a video not filmed by CCDG and crew....the overall quality is ****. Camera moves a lot, zoom is jerky or too fast, and the editing is on the shabby side. But hey...what do I know...I couldn't even finish that video because it was **** so maybe it magically got better.

Latest posts