DGPT - Resistance is futile

Part of me says DGPT is seeing how much they can make by basically limiting all access to DGPT events, media and info to subscribers.

Guess they hope to increase subscriptions by doing that. The other part of me says they're shooting themselves in the foot.

In order to actually set a 'line' to gamble against, they would have to use stats provided by our NON-PROFIT PDGA since it now owns Stat-Mando, the ONLY SOURCE of disc golf stats.

**Looks like they turned off the comments section

Video evidence going to be allowed? Paid officials required on every hole to call stance violations, 30 seconds, etc.?

I doubt DGPT would have moved forward if the PDGA board did not approve an online gambling sponsor for the 2024 European Open. That seems to have open the door wide open.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2024-2-13_bodmeetingminutes_final.pdf

Additional Motions/Votes determined via email after the February 13, 2024 meeting and prior tothe March 12, 2024 meetingFebruary 23, 2024The Board voted on an online gambling sponsorship request for the European Disc Golf Festival, anevent on the 2024 DGPT. This request and associated materials were reviewed by PDGA andPDGA Europe Staff, Doug, and DGPT/DGN. Staff confirmed that all appropriate age verifications arein place, Coolbet branding is innocuous, and all on-site activity will be monitored. Therefore, for allthese reasons, but mostly due to the fact that sports betting of this nature is legal in Estonia, the staffrecommends approval of Coolbet as a presenting sponsor of the event. Per our sponsorship policy, thiskind of sponsorship is not allowed without BOD approval at Elite Series and PDGA Major events.Yes: NH, WW, DS, GH, LT, CDNo: LNMotion passes 6-1-0-0

DGPT ES - European Disc Golf Festival (Estonia) is not the PDGA Major - European Open (Finland)

The thought to provide data for betting was mentioned in the DGPT/UDisc split announcement for why DGPT was moving to PDGA for scoring & stat collection. The stats themselves are 'owned' by DGPT though so they have the option to provide them to third parties use.

Unsure if this partnership will really affect any on course play/rules keeping. More to do with monitoring of betting patterns for irregularities when the books add DGPT events to betting options.

In order to actually set a 'line' to gamble against, they would have to use stats provided by our NON-PROFIT PDGA since it now owns Stat-Mando, the ONLY SOURCE of disc golf stats.

**Looks like they turned off the comments section
Isn't that standard professional practice? Hard to think of any other professional or amateur sporting governance that would allow an outside entity to be the source of record keeping.

I'd like to see how the PDGA is compensated ($) for providing information to a for-profit third party (DGPT) to sell (gambling sites, this won't be the only one).
AND Pros pay the PDGA for membership, then pay entry fees, to accumulate stats that are used to make more money for the DGPT/PDGA (maybe)?.

TBH, this is really about where the pro game doesn't feel like disc golf to me anymore.

DGPT is another example of profit greed taking over a thing that used to be run by passionate people, for passion.

The quality of the products is not really improving but suddenly you have to pay at every step of the chain. They shit on established traditions or the people that did all the ground work (having Jomez pay to come cover your event, the DISRESPECT!!) and just try to pull as much money out of disc golf as they can.

I am glad that i am no longer that interested in the pro circuit. My casual rounds with friends will still be fun. I ll watch less DG content on youtube, but maybe that aint a bad thing.

DGPT is another example of profit greed taking over a thing that used to be run by passionate people, for passion.

The quality of the products is not really improving but suddenly you have to pay at every step of the chain. They shit on established traditions or the people that did all the ground work (having Jomez pay to come cover your event, the DISRESPECT!!) and just try to pull as much money out of disc golf as they can.
While I agree with you on some of this passion only gets you so far. No one at DGPT is geting rich at this point, takes a lot to keep all that stuff on the road. Jomez from my perspective has simply been a victim of taking the Covid growth too much to heart and making some iffy decisions based on that.

While I agree with you on some of this passion only gets you so far. No one at DGPT is geting rich at this point, takes a lot to keep all that stuff on the road. Jomez from my perspective has simply been a victim of taking the Covid growth too much to heart and making some iffy decisions based on that.
I doubt DGPT has ever turned a profit. I've always assumed the game plan was to build it into a viable endevor and then sell off to a bigger media company.

In any event, i thiink they are putting out a good quality product at this point, and i have no issue paying my $13 a month for it. There have been people hating on DGPT since day one on here, and i don't think that will ever stop, regardless of what they do.

I doubt DGPT has ever turned a profit. I've always assumed the game plan was to build it into a viable endevor and then sell off to a bigger media company.

In any event, i thiink they are putting out a good quality product at this point, and i have no issue paying my $13 a month for it. There have been people hating on DGPT since day one on here, and i don't think that will ever stop, regardless of what they do.
I am pretty sure they managed a (largely symbolic) profit of $1 2-3 years ago. No idea since.

I'm sure Jeff and at least a few other employees are paid well.

Latest posts