• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf and College

ChrisHyzer

Well the title kind of gives an idea about this thread...my question to you guys is where do you think the best disc golf area that has a college in it is, i am going to college in a year or so and i would like disc golf to remain as my favorite sport so i would like to look for a college in a good disc golf area, i would like suggestions on what you guys think, it would be nice if the place is preferably warm year round and has a school team! as of right now i'm thinking about either Colorado or California.

I think you might be considering your college options wrong but hell come on to the TC area. we have community colleges and the U of M with a 100+ courses within a hour. Ill even help find you a rental property :)

school over dg anyday. education is a great investment. i currently have one course in my city i went to college in. it sucks ass. i lived through it. now im on my way to grad school and got accepted to all the schools i applied to as well.

what are you majoring in? and what do you plan to do for work after? or grad school perhaps? out of state tuition is almost double the price of in state.

sorry i should have added this isnt gonna be the deciding factor on where i go to college it will just have an influence, i also want to major in Business, specifically Finance and most likely go to grad school, and the tuition costs arent a problem for me.

Your priority should be finding a decent school that won't break the bank, then a job.

Unless you get scholarships and grants to cover it all, you're likely going to have a significant debt to pay off when you graduate. Finding a city with good DG won't be so important then, but by the time, at the rate courses are going in the ground, there should be a growing number of places you could go.

if a city is big enough to have a well known business school, i bet it will have some courses close by. U of M (might be the carlton school of business) would be a good bet in mn. thats about all i can say since i dont have any experience outside of mn.

princeton review would be a good place to start. figure out what size/style school you like. then plug in the location to see near by courses on here. should be a safe bet

Back around 2000, I would have suggested Miami Univeristy in Oxford, OH. Still good courses in the area, but the course on campus got shortened to 9 holes. Although, they kept the best 9 holes. Also, a very respected business school.

sorry i should have added this isnt gonna be the deciding factor on where i go to college it will just have an influence, i also want to major in Business, specifically Finance and most likely go to grad school, and the tuition costs arent a problem for me.

Carlson school of Management it is.. welcome to MN!

CSOM_with_Minneapolis_in_background_at_dusk.jpg

well.. the dome wont be there when you come'

Last edited:
I'm going to tell you something you won't want to hear. Go to school in-state for your undergrad at least, unless you can get enough scholarships to another school you like to make it cheap. Disc golf is fun, but there is way more to college than that. Find a school with the academic and social environment you like, and then work disc golf in secondarily.

You say tuition costs aren't a factor, but it matters. If you're hell-bent on getting out of Ohio, head south to Charlotte, Atlanta, or Nashville. All of those places have high concentrations of quality courses as well as lots more within 3-4 hours.

Charlotte,NC Colleges and Universities:

Barber Scotia College
Belmont Abbey College
Carolinas College of Health Sciences
Central Piedmont Community College
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
Hood Theological Seminary
Johnson & Wales University
Johnson C. Smith University
King's College
Livingstone College
Montreat College
New Life Theological Seminary
Northeastern University Charlotte
Pfeiffer University at Charlotte
Queens University of Charlotte
Reformed Theological Seminary -- Charlotte
Southern Evangelical Seminary
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Wake Forest University (a Charlotte campus)
Winthrop University Rock Hill, NC --suburb of Charlotte

Disc Golf in Charlotte:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=kMF7-hb8vaQbxEb-0R450g&bvm=bv.61190604,d.aWc

University of Georgia offers 2 full athletic scholarships annually for disc golf.

... I wish :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're going to want to go to a school that has a disc golf club. Ohio State is the only school in Ohio that I am aware of that has a club.

I thank you guys for looking out for me when saying disc golf should be secondary and trust me it is, my question was and still is what is the best area for disc golf with a good college, and when i say tuition wont be a problem i mean it. Minnesota is sounding really nice to add to the list, i have family in Minnesota and will be traveling there for am worlds this year, some of you Minnesota natives may have heard of Hormel/Spam? that's my great uncle so Minnesota would actually be a good place to go for me cause he has talked to me about helping me get through college(financially)

I thank you guys for looking out for me when saying disc golf should be secondary and trust me it is, my question was and still is what is the best area for disc golf with a good college, and when i say tuition wont be a problem i mean it. Minnesota is sounding really nice to add to the list, i have family in Minnesota and will be traveling there for am worlds this year, some of you Minnesota natives may have heard of Hormel/Spam? that's my great uncle so Minnesota would actually be a good place to go for me cause he has talked to me about helping me get through college(financially)

who hasnt heard of hormel/spam? **** is bigger than elvis

Many colleges have disc golf teams. I'd check out UC Santa Cruz if I were you. CSU Monterey Bay is also a great choice. Minny may have great DG and colleges, but I know it's a bit colder than the coast of California...at least in the winter!

You're going to want to go to a school that has a disc golf club. Ohio State is the only school in Ohio that I am aware of that has a club.

... and if there's not one, then it's not too hard to start a club usually (the paperwork's kind of a drag though :\)

if your great uncle owns and or has major connections with Hormel/spam I dunno wtf you are NOT doing here already. follow the $ grasshopper.

those who are making it can only help you make more. Also when you come ill take you all out to dinner. I need to meet this guy, tomorrow.

like I said before-- welcome to MN. You cant go wrong with the U of M but tons of private colleges if you prefer too'

Last edited:
Athens was purposely left out of my list above.

We've got more national championships than you guys :p

... of which I had ZERO help in obtaining ... and supposedly the first year or two there were weird accuracy bonus point landing zone thingies that Pete May decided was a good idea ... or something like that

Latest posts