• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Camp?

Build the course first. If you build a championship caliber course, people WILL come.

Then designate an area for primitive camping and charge $10-15 a night. Put it away to pay for continuing improvements (gravel for roads, concrete for camper pads, electric/water poles, etc...)

Once you can accommodate pull-behind campers, you can start charging more for those sites and hopefully build up revenue a little faster, but I still imagine it will take quite a few years to be able to build dorms, pro shops and possibly a cafeteria/community area.

Here's an expert that should be available.

Ha! How did I forget about this guy? But that's not even the best video.

Back on track. I like Martin's idea about having it as one of the programs available in a regular summer camp. I just don't think you could make money with a full fledged disc golf camp. If you could try and find a camp in the area that might work with that, I think that'd be the easiest way to go about it.

Could I get somebody to critique what I've written for the camp brochure? Just hoping to make sure it's grammatically sound and conveys the points that I'm trying to make. I'm not quite ready to post it publicly, let me know if you're willing to give input, I'll forward it to you.

It's a tough sell on it's own. If you are trying to get kids as the market it's gonna be tough to beat the boy scouts, and that market is seasonal. If adults are your market it's gonna be slim pickings as disc golfers are cheap and women are the rake.

Good article on disc golf at the boy scouts jamboree:
http://www.omagdigital.com/article/ON+THE+FLY/1491720/0/article.html

90% of my clients are 35+

And yeah the beauty of disc is you can play it anywhere for free. Disc golf is cheap. People take traditional golf lessons because they don't want to pay for a round and suck it up. You can go suck it up on a DG course for free and/or go hit the field and practice basket for free.

I agree that the way to go is focus first on building a dynamite course or two with primitive/RV camping space, then expand as demand/desire/addiction dictates. I'm not sure on Selah's profit margins, but they charge a relatively high amount and there's no shortage of traffic there. At the risk of crossing up threads, if folks are willing to drop (or at lease bid) $1000+ on some random prodigy plastic there should be at least some market for a reasonably priced disc camp. Or at least, as Knettles mentioned above, get tied in with some established local camps (scouts, kiwanis, etc.) and run day camps on site until all the amenities are there.

At the risk of crossing up threads, if folks are willing to drop (or at lease bid) $1000+ on some random prodigy plastic there should be at least some market for a reasonably priced disc camp.
One idiot gratuitously overbidding on a disc does not constitute a paradigm shift regarding disc golfers and money.

The big problem I see with having a camp.
All your kids would be there in the summer, and that is also tourney season.
So you would have a hard time getting pros etc. to stay and teach.

I love the idea, i went to motorcycle summer camp, and it is some of my best memories as a kid growing up.

That same camp is still around, and they have added a skate park camp for boards and bikes.
My son went to it.
That's pretty cool that they have seen 2 generations at the same camp

I think you would have to have other stuff available to share the draw/expenses.

Thread necro!

Well, the first step has been taken at least... Just pulled the trigger on 10 Monkey Trap baskets (discgolfmonkey.com)... That's 9 for a course and one for the backyard. I've already got two homemade portables, so I have the potential for a 12 holer.

I don't have any serious aspirations for a camp or destination course at the moment. I don't think I want to work that hard. But I will at least have my own permanent 9er, and hopefully in the ground and playable by the end of this spring. I'll start a thread in the course section when installation begins.