• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Disc Washer

Are people really using their drinking water to clean their discs? Mud and dirt comes right off with a wipe of a towel (or shirt tail if you don't have a towel). I don't know that I've ever poured my water over a disc. Rinsed it in a puddle, creek, or pond, sure, but that's it.

I guess I can see the case for cleaning poison ivy/oak, but water doesn't do a whole lot to wash away those oils. You still need a good deal of friction to really get it off, and a hard scrub with a dry towel is just as effective as wet.

Kudos for being inventive, I guess, but I can't see this thing taking off.

I bet people said the same things about golf ball washers, now they bitch if a course doesn't have em. Ha!

you wont ever see me using one. i dont think i ever have cleaned my discs. hell i dont even bring a towel out on the course. never knew this was that big of an issue where people demanded these

# years I've been playing: 10
# of times I went thirsty cause I used my water to wash a disc: 0

Nice thought, but I think this falls into the category of "solution looking for a problem." Mind you, I always have a towel when I play, in any weather. In addition to moisture/mud/snow, I wipe the dust off before I bag a disc... don't wanna to feel anything but my disc when I throw. Even being that fastidious, I don't see a need for these.

Besides, just a matter of time before they become objects for graffiti and other vandalism.

Last edited:
these things are going to be smashed so fast.

also cant wait for people to start whining about half of their stamp missing from it being too rough

Having a clean leading edge is key to any sort of aerodynamics, so keeping the disc golf disc clean will result in farther traveling distance.

In theory... I suppose so. I reality, the effect is less than negligible. Other factors play so much more relevant roles that effect residue has on disc light isn't even observable, let alone measurable. Unless it's a chunk that's caked on in a spot, or dried mud, a bird farting in a tree near your line probably has more impact than the dirt on your disc.

Last edited:
This thing uses far more water then I've seen anybody ever use on the course. This is one of the worst things I've seen. The video only makes it seem like a worse idea.

I feel I can get a disc cleaner, faster, and with no water just by using a towel.

Quote: "Being a physically demanding professional sport, water is key to keeping hydrated, not washing off plastic discs."

I'm just pleased to see that I am participating in a Physically Demanding Professional Sport.

in before this thread title* is created:

Are a lack of DISC GOLF DISC WASHERS on all our courses HOLDING THIS SPORT BACK?!

This thing uses far more water then I've seen anybody ever use on the course. This is one of the worst things I've seen. The video only makes it seem like a worse idea.

I feel I can get a disc cleaner, faster, and with no water just by using a towel.

Never had a disc land in dog doo-doo, have you?

I feel sorry for the guy that invented the washer. he thought he had a good idea, but it just isn't practical. a towel is practical and cheap and easy and portable and washable and has many uses.

I have had ideas that I thought were great too, then when everyone tells you the truth, it sucks.

I feel sorry for the guy that invented the washer. he thought he had a good idea, but it just isn't practical. a towel is practical and cheap and easy and portable and washable and has many uses.

I have had ideas that I thought were great too, then when everyone tells you the truth, it sucks.

a lot of the times people make these inventions to supersede any other similar products that can come out.

that way you can claim infringement or something in court and actually have a solid case if the new product is anywhere near the same.

the deal is you usually will be sued and have to settle out of court, or give the "original creator" of the product a cut of the profits for a fixed period of time (if i remember right its like 50 years :eek: ).

there's a derivative term for these types: patent trolls (when they have no intention of actually producing the product but just want the possibility to profit from litigation).

Hmm. I'll stick to towels. The water in there would get pretty nasty.