• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Drivers License

F.Luke

Double Eagle Member
Should a beginning disc golfer be required to show aptitude with superclass discs (frisbees) before stepping up to a beveled edge (driver era) disc?

This is, of course, hypothetical.

It's a prerequisite for technique. I suppose there could be plausible safety reasons.

Sure, If it was a kids camp or program thing.

(personally I think a little bit of coaching feedback playing catch with a putter can fix a lot of newb wildness faster than anything )

Last edited:
Should a beginning disc golfer be required to show aptitude with superclass discs (frisbees) before stepping up to a beveled edge (driver era) disc?

Lol people who actually think you're proposing a licensing protocol for BUYING FLYING DISCS and not recognizing your post as a hilarious irony.

I learned to play with midrange and putters including DX Gremlins, Hydras, aviars and rocs. The newbies now have so many disc options and the manufacturers and newbies peers push high speed drivers on friends from what I have noticed. Each time I have played with casual players over the passed year, I have had to hear about every new disc on the market by DD and the Tern it seems like. Throw what you are comfortable with.

It sure helps if you've adept at throwing ultimates, it'll make the transition to throwing disc golf putters and mids much easier -- almost seamless actually.

Do rich people have to show driving aptitude to buy Ferraris and other supercars that are way too much car for them? If it makes someone happy to throw warp speed drivers, does it impact anyone really?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they are outlawed in the near future(RELAX. I am not saying they should be). Somebody posted a link to a news article a couple months ago, where the victim(or maybe the victim's wife, I cant recall) of an accidental head strike, made a point to single out the Boss as a dangerous disc due to its designed edge shape. If these incidents continue to happen, it could have a damaging effect, including laws restricting the design of high speed/sharp rims.

Learning to throw the comet well completely changed my game. BUT if someone would of handed me the comet as a first disc I would of quit before I started.

People need to fall in love with Dg before they need to get better at Dg.

What would be the most horrible/best disc to learn with?

I have a floppy dog disc lid that I think has actually improved my game a little. It's so hard to throw and it doesn't like to be strong armed.

What would be the most horrible/best disc to learn with?

I have a floppy dog disc lid that I think has actually improved my game a little. It's so hard to throw and it doesn't like to be strong armed.

Worst?... Nuke OS, Energy, Rask... Basically anything stupid OS.

A used but not abused dx Valk or Tbird, would be the best, IMO, for a random beginner who isn't taking it seriously.

Last edited: