• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Geocaching

Yeah, kinda came off like a DB talking about the work and such. But if I hid an item on the course for ONLY dgers to know about and find/sign/pass around, I see no harm.

I am in no way inviting muggles or die hard geocachers to the course just incorporating it into DG. No harm intended.

Well, I don't suppose I'd go on an assault rifle rampage over that. Just hide it in a tree so I might find it. :p

I'm not sure how the geocacheing works but could ya just gps the tee areas and tones locations at a hidden course to make it sorta like geogolf?

Say I made some tones (18+) and planted them on some state land.
Put the locations on gps and make it like the geocache game to navigate the secluded course?
Just a low key course and you could leave hints for the next guys who need help navigating the land and playing some underground dg.

Would that be similar to the geocaching?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the geocacheing works but could ya just gps the tee areas and tones locations at a hidden course to make it sorta like geogolf?

Put the locations on gps and make it like the geocache game to navigate the secluded course?
Just a low key course and you could leave hints for the next guys who need help navigating the land and playing some underground dg.

This is similar to what I was thinking. Although to get to said course, you would have to find 5-10 other caches at different courses with separate pieces of the directions. Each cache would have one part of the direftions with a circled number (1-5/10) as to what order it is in the directions. Find all the directions, find the course :).

I'd do the geogolf thing if I could get an app on my phone where I could scan a RFID tag on my disc to locate in the rough.

I am a geocacher and have one on the course at Idlewild but it is in an area that can be accessed by the walking path and you never really even have to get on the course. I originally made it disc golf related and put disc golf swag in it but some muggles got it and tore it up. Not saying it was disc golfers and actually really don't care if it was as that is part of the game. It stinks but something you get used to. Bummer is that I had to make a stealthier container so the disc golf theme is gone except for the name which is "Flying saucers everywhere". This is registered through boone county parks and I have their permission to place it in the park. I post on the geocache page that going on the course is not necessary and should be avoided. I have never had a complaint from anyone that they felt in danger when searching for the cache. I have another cache that was placed in a area that had no disc golf around then they decided to expand idlewild and now it is near one of the new baskets. I have left it there but if it becomes an issue I will remove it.

Just remember if you are going to hide physical caches in a park you really need to get permission. Most counties and states have some strict rules for it. Just make sure if you find one of these that you show the geocachers the same respect they show you. I can guarantee they will not steal your disc's or try to ruin a course. Well all the cachers I know would not but I guess there may be a few in the crowd that might.

If you like to hike though geocaching is a great added incentive. That was how I found out about it is through hiking and wanting a handheld GPS so we could take longer hikes. Actually you can just use a smart phone also so it makes it a little easier to afford.

As far as geogolf, I like the idea though. I mean really you wouldn't need coordinates or anything like that if you just hid micros near tee pads or something like that. I don't know about putting large caches on the course though and making someone search for it halfway down the fairway. That may cause some issues and also put people in harms way if someone does not see them in the woods as they might hit them with a disc. Plus the muggle factor may be more of a headache than it would be worth. I have 26 hidden caches which is not a lot as compared to some but I can say it is a major headache keeping them in good condition. Since I hid them I also have to maintain them. I have a bunch disabled right now due to muggles and other stuff such as city work so now I have to go and put all these back when the work is done and also find a better hiding spot for the ones that were muggled. It is a pain in the arse. :wall:

Ok I am done and I am not trying to discourage the idea just trying to give some explanation of what it will take to do it.

Some things to consider:
1. ownership of caches
2. saturation of caches(having five caches on one hole would be bad)
3. maintaining the caches
4. website to base it all
5. Sizes of caches
6. rules on how they may be hidden
7. rules on how close you must live to the cache to hide them(in geocaching I could not go to Tennessee and hide a cache because I could not keep them maintained properly)

This is similar to what I was thinking. Although to get to said course, you would have to find 5-10 other caches at different courses with separate pieces of the directions. Each cache would have one part of the direftions with a circled number (1-5/10) as to what order it is in the directions. Find all the directions, find the course :).

The only problem I see is if the a cache gets muggled, which I can say from experience that it will, then you would not have actual directions to the hidden course.

I might try some safari type geogolf around me. Ya never know, I might be able to come up with something cool.

Now, if I could just inexpensively tag a disc with a rfid sticker or tape an old silver dime to the bottom of the disc and use a small metal detector or something so I can find them easier I'd be all over some safari geogolf.

To make that more fun, I'd have pieces of the course all over the place and make it more free flow than a set of holes that need to be played in sequence. That way finding the holes is as much fun as playing them.

To make that more fun, I'd have pieces of the course all over the place and make it more free flow than a set of holes that need to be played in sequence. That way finding the holes is as much fun as playing them.

Good idea scarpfish!:thmbup:

Any more ideas?

Ive picked up a couple of Geocaches while out throwing. Im guessing theres probably one or two on almost every course.

I'M DOWN. smooth-if you do a local dggeocaching around ohio at all let me know. i'm sure me and 5 or more friends would be interested. let me know the details, i've never been geocaching before.

I'M DOWN. smooth-if you do a local dggeocaching around ohio at all let me know. i'm sure me and 5 or more friends would be interested. let me know the details, i've never been geocaching before.

After looking more into it and seeing some of the caches and clues others have done, I will be doing something like this (and remember this is ONLY for disc golfers, not actual geocachers to come get hit by discs).

I will be leaving 2 caches on each course I use. These caches will have 2 things: clue to the next cache location and a clue to the final cache.

You will have to find all of the caches for the final to make sense. It will be a riddle, that when solved, will be a password to take you to a hidden course. I have a buddy with almost 50 acres of beautiful property who said he would let me do this there.

The final cache will also have my phone number. When you call or text, just say the answer to the riddle and you will be provided and address to mapquest.

I'm working on the caches now as well as a layout for his property and logistics on how to get the course set up without buying 18 baskets. Should have this idea up and running by next summer.

no worries. it would be all disc golfers on my end. i look forward to seeing what you put together with this. keep me updated man, sounds good

There is a geocache on hole 6 at Veteran's Park in Tupelo, MS. Always someone there rooting around in the woods right next to the fairway.

My kids and I started Geocaching this summer. Found a cache on a course that was accessible without walking on the course...just adjacent to the course. Found several courses in the area that have a cache on the course. We are planning on hiding a cache on each of our local courses that don't already have a cache....each will be out of play.

I would be more than happy to see a DG geocache. Ironically I happened upon a DG course and got into DG because there was a geocache in a park with a DG course.