• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf on Mythbusters

I was hit in the face with a shark from 15 feet away this morning. I guess it's a myth.

Very highly doubtful. I don't know if you watch baseball at all, but I'll use it as an example.

Say if a pitcher pitches to a batter, batter hits a line drive back at the pitchers head. The ball is probably traveling approximately 100MPH (possibly higher), a baseball weighs 149 grams. Equaling a force of 6.660896 newtons.

I'll use my heaviest driver for the disc golf example. It weights 172 grams (if I remember correctly). I don't know the actual speed a disc would travel. So I'll do what I believe would be generous and say 80MPH. This would equal a force of 6.1512704 newtons.

Other factors to consider is people usually wouldn't be hit point blank so some de-acceleration would've occurred by end of flight (where someone would most likely be hit)

I believe there has been a baseball death from a come-back hit. It's extremely rare though, in fact, most pitchers may only miss a game or two (if any). But obviously you never know who you're hitting. You could hit a young child, which with high amounts of force could cause more severe damage due to a less developed skull.

Would definitely be cool to see it tested on TV though.

You're failing to take into account that discs are sharp, and baseballs are not.

Discs are bendable (thus making "sharpness" less relevant), solid baseballs are not. I played baseball and when I got hit I was bleeding. I've been hit by a disc twice, not even a scratch (just a lot of pain).

Maybe a hyzer-spike on a big downhill shot..?

my buddies son had to get his face stitched up because his son and mother were in the back yard playing catch with a driver. I supposed it could be possible in the right circumstances.

I THINK THIS IS A BAD IDEA SINCE WE WANT OUR COURSES TO STAY IN THE GROUND.
DSCJNKY

my buddies son had to get his face stitched up because his son and mother were in the back yard playing catch with a driver. I supposed it could be possible in the right circumstances.

Was the father, Mr. Darwin, out on business that day? :wall:

I'd say it's definitely possible, but highly improbable that the impact from a disc could kill someone. I'd think you'd have to be standing close and get hit just right. However, it's not that uncommon for people get killed from being knocked over when hit, which is a more likely (but still extremely rare) scenario.

I really don't think it's a good idea to put it on Mythbusters, though. It's not all that interesting, the testing wouldn't be all that cool and it's not really good publicity for the sport.

Discs are bendable (thus making "sharpness" less relevant), solid baseballs are not. I played baseball and when I got hit I was bleeding. I've been hit by a disc twice, not even a scratch (just a lot of pain).

Not a stiff Champion Groove or similar that has a really sharp edge...

A kid got hit with my Groove after a 6-year-old threw it from about 2 feet away, and he had to get stitches. His face was covered in blood, and the kid hadn't thrown it that hard.

people have died from simply being punched in the back of the head. one guy got punched in the back of the head in a bar, he was perfectly fine, went home, got in the bathtub, then died.

so yes, it's obviously possible that disc could kill if it hit the right spot just so, but i would say it's very unlikely.

however, i love that you suggested it to the show!

IIRC, Avery Jenkins was petitioning to get a DG throw filmed for "Time Warp." I don't know how it turned out of if that show is even on anymore, but I think that's a much better avenue to get publicity for our sport.

I've seen people get hit and needing several stitches due to it. I would say that it's possible if they got hit in the right spot such as the lower back of the head or if it crushed their larynx maybe.

how is this a myth? dont worry it wont be on the show anyhow.

Yeah, the last thing you want is someone who for whatever reasons hates DGers in their local park seeing the show. And using it as evidence as why the sport should be banned.
Spending your weekend in the naughty corner is no fun :(